Photo

4-8-07 - A bit dissapointing, but still a good time...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Icedevimon13

Icedevimon13

Love knows no gender.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

So today was season pass day, (and Easter, of course) and as expected the park was pretty empty. Upon arrival I was very pleased to see almost every ride testing, even Kingda Ka, despite the winds and the extreme cold. There was a pretty large crowd towards Ka's end of the ropes, so I went right and waited by Chiller. When the ribbon dropped I went that way to see what was up, and was told it would open later. Next, I head to Nitro to wait for it to open. After a few minutes, we were told it wouldn't be opening for a LONG while.

You see, all the rides were closed due to the cold. :thumbsdown: Between 10:30 and 12, Scream Machine, Medusa, and Superman was open. (Oh yeah, Toro opened too) I decided to stay at Nitro and wait. During this time Daffy Duck and Sylvester annoyed me by pulling down my hoodie while I was trying to keep warm, and I said I was going to punch the duck lol.

I did like, however, that the person standing at the gate actually explained why the cold was a factor in the rides non-operation. He said it had less to do with the actual temperature outside, but more to do with the temperature of the ride. Nitro started cycling, but it was going pretty slow due to the wind and the engines and such not being warmed up enough. He went on to say that there are differen't sensors at different points on the ride, and the train must make it from sensor A to sensor B in a certain amount of time before the ride can be safety checked, which involves one train stopping on the brake run and one stopping on the lift hill, then an operator riding to listen for any strange noises. Despite freezing my butt off, I learned a lot during my wait, making the time not a complete waste. Also, the guy said that last security checked, there was under 500 people in the park.

When the ride finally opened around 12:10, I was on the first public train of the day, back row. (as always.) I re-rode twice more, moving to second to last row during the second circuit because people got on line. After my third train hit the brake run, the ride was having some trouble. They emptied the train in front of us, and sounded the horn a number of times before sending it out empty and taking us off the ride. Someone mentioned that the train had gone rather slow over some hills, and an operator said something about a power outage.

At this point I left the park to go home and eat dinner. I checked with security that the park would close at 7. I left my house again at 3:50 and arrived at 4:25, when I was told the park would be closing early due to the cold. At first I was infuriated, because it's a fourty mile drive to GA and back, but I sucked it up and headed inside to get what little riding in I could.

I saw that Chiller was running, so I headed over there to find the station empty, since so many people were leaving the park. I boarded back row. It was great riding this again after so long; I almost forgot how awesome it was. The new element (I can't really bring myself to call it a hump) isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't realize it banked to both sides. I almost prefer it over the old rolls, since those scared the crap out of me. I then proceeded to re-ride 9 more times, bringing my total number of rides in a half hour to 10! The crew even squeezed in an extra ride for us. I was so happy about this all my anger about the early closing dissipated.

Overall, it was a pretty good day, despite the chilling weather.

PLUS
-----
-Chiller!
-park empty
-many walk-ons

NEG
-----
-COLD
-very little open
-closed early

Edited by Icedevimon13, 08 April 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#2 overlord

overlord

GAOutpost Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

The chilly weather is not good for the rides at all...
Posted Image

#3 Chillerlover

Chillerlover

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Your very much welcome for ur extra ride and i hope you told guest relations how good we were.HEHE!!!
Former 250 lead...... Lakefront and Chiller

#4 Millennium Force 2000

Millennium Force 2000

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

So what exactly is so bad for the rides when its cold? I know that it creates more friction which means they run slower and can cause rollbacks and such, but I never thought there was any other downside to running rides in the cold.
Millennium Force- The Future is Riding on It

Top 10 Coasters: 1.) Millennium Force 2.) Goliath ~ SFOG 3.) Scream! 4.) Deja Vu 5.) Top Thrill Dragster 6.) X 7.) Raptor 8.) Magnum 9.) Titan 10.) The Beast -- Thrills Around the Corner!

#5 sfgadviper

sfgadviper

Batman

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

As far as I know the only problem with the cold and rides is the speed slows the trains for obvious reasons. Usually a proxy somewhere on the circuit then alerts the operator with a running error that says the ride is not clear to run because of a possibility of a rollback. I always speak of Viper since I know that best and that prox was located on the dive/loop. If the ride did not cross that proxy at 35 mph a nice beep would sound from the operator panel and the ride would close.
If you could see me here this way
Looking backwards from today
Would you do it all again...?

#6 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Also hydralics can freeze I believe. And of course Intamin in the cold is a big 'no, no'.

Edited by Mysterio, 08 April 2007 - 07:33 PM.

#7 legolasfan411

legolasfan411

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

I think we deserve another season pass holder day, this was horrible, mainly because of the weather, but resceduled, it is colder in October and they manage to have all the rides up, maybe they should just test them earlier for longer, then they would be ready.
GA 2009 Trips:19
Bizarro: 16
El Toro: 32 (06-08:11)
Kingda Ka: 16 (05-08:57)
Nitro: 28 (2008: 20)
TDK:5 (2008:02)

Past Years Trips:
2006 Trips: 12
2007 Trips: 11
2008 Trips: 8
R:TC Final Count 07: 31
Stacker Wins: 4
DS: 2,Ipod Nano:1,Ipod Shuffle:1

#8 techman01

techman01

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

End of April on Friday is season pass evening........Not open to public during day...
2009 Season Rides: | El Toro: 2 | Kingda Ka: 1 | Nitro: 2 | Bizzaro: 0 |
Total Visits: 1
2008 visits: 9
2007 visits: 15
'This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.'

#9 legolasfan411

legolasfan411

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

I think thats physics day
GA 2009 Trips:19
Bizarro: 16
El Toro: 32 (06-08:11)
Kingda Ka: 16 (05-08:57)
Nitro: 28 (2008: 20)
TDK:5 (2008:02)

Past Years Trips:
2006 Trips: 12
2007 Trips: 11
2008 Trips: 8
R:TC Final Count 07: 31
Stacker Wins: 4
DS: 2,Ipod Nano:1,Ipod Shuffle:1

#10 overlord

overlord

GAOutpost Admin

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

Also hydralics can freeze I believe. And of course Intamin in the cold is a big 'no, no'.

Actually, its the water that sprays to cool the cable, it gets on the track and in the trough and freezes. So that can be a problem.
Posted Image

#11 Indeoksuks

Indeoksuks

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

The water freezing the track was the main problem on Friday for Kingda Ka when I was there. We asked a guy working on it and said that they were de-icing the ride. I guess it's somewhat the same for the other rides as well.

#12 rwarrior24

rwarrior24

Hockey is Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

I was there from 10-3.

I thought the day was pretty good just for the fact that the place was empty. Not to mention it is always interesting to ride a roller coaster in the snow.

I was in line for Nitro when it went down the first time for the power outage. After the power came back up, they sent out a train and it barely and I mean barely made it over one of the hills. It was the slowest I have ever seen it go. Batman did the same thing when it tested. It was nice that they got them both up and running eventually.

I never saw Kingda Ka test all day although others did.......I was only on that side of the park a couple times. I did see El Toro running the train with the dummies.

One of the nice things the park had was the brunch in the old picnic grove. It was only $12.95/person and they had some good food. Not to mention they let us come back later in the day to have more. And my wife got to take home 2 lilies in pots. So if you happened to see two people walking out of the park with purple flowers...............that was us. It was sad that more people didn't take advantage of it.

Rides:

Nitro x2
B:TR x1
R:TC x1
Medusa X1
RMT x1
SM x1

#13 rccrazy23

rccrazy23

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Nitro started cycling, but it was going pretty slow due to the wind and the engines and such not being warmed up enough.

So uh Nitro has engines and if they are not warmed up that means Nitro will be going slow?

#14 Icedevimon13

Icedevimon13

Love knows no gender.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Yes something to that degree. There are motors and engines that power the lift hill and different parts of the ride. Through the time it was testing it got faster and faster since the ride had time to warm up. At least that's what the employee told me.

#15 obsessedwithsixflags

obsessedwithsixflags

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Actually, its the water that sprays to cool the cable, it gets on the track and in the trough and freezes. So that can be a problem.

i always wondered what was spraying up under the launch track
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users