46 replies to this topic

#1 Tgirl

Tgirl

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

May the prayers go out to the family. The teen definitely had no common sense doing this unless he was doing it for prank fun. *sighs*

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A teenager died Saturday when he was decapitated at the Six Flags Over Georgia theme park outside Atlanta, authorities said.

The 17-year-old park visitor was killed after scaling two 6-foot fences around the Batman roller coaster, said a statement issued by park spokeswoman Hela Sheth. He was struck by the coaster and killed, she said.

"We do not know why this person was intent on gaining access to this restricted area," the statement said, noting that multiple signs are posted stating, "Danger Zone," "Do Not Enter" and "Authorized Personnel Only."

"Some witnesses have stated that the individual was trying to retrieve something he had lost," Sheth's statement said. "Others reported that he was trying to touch the ride. This is merely speculation at this point, and we are working with park visitors and local police to learn more."

No one on the ride was injured, she said.

Police said the incident occurred about 2 p.m.

The victim's family was at the park with him, Sheth said, and park representatives were with them Saturday evening.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," she said.

Edited by Tgirl, 28 June 2008 - 05:13 PM.

I'm not a fan for thrill. Just a fan for theme. :D

#2 kutlass

kutlass

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Stupid is as a stupid does.But my prayers do go out to the family and him .
Posted Image "Around here,however,we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward. opening new doors and doing new things... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
..Walt Disney

#3 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

You know I wonder why there was two 6' fences denying him access to the ride in the first place.....I mean clearly as this story proves there is no need for them. Now that I think of it what a great way for Six Flags to save money!!! Just stop putting up fences!! In fact take down all the fences there are now and sell them for scrap metal they'll make boat loads of money, this is brilliant!!!!

My heart goes out to the family and victim it really does....but this was just so stupid....it even said the family was there with him so clearly the whole family didn;t see any problem with this kid doing what he was doing, so not to say they're all at fault, but they clearly aren;t the brightest.
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#4 lil jimmy norton

lil jimmy norton

GADV Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Unreal, some people man. I know all the facts aren't out yet, but I find it hard to fathom what reason he would have had going over the obvious for your safety fence.
My dog is destroying my life.

#5 redsoxfan0810

redsoxfan0810

Resident rowing beast.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

I know it was quite the tragedy and I'm not laughing at the matter at all, but this is why those fences were there. It's the kid's lack of common sense that caused this.

#6 Zack

Zack

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Like the SFKK accident a year ago wasn't bad enough. But still, sad,

#7 FoN

FoN

R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Serves him right for being an idiot. Some people just never learn.....
R.I.P. Harry Kalas 3/26/1936 - 4/13/2009
R.I.P. Jim Johnson 5/26/1941 - 7/28/2009

#8 jdc12192

jdc12192

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Common sense. Use it.

#9 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

Serves him right for being an idiot. Some people just never learn.....

Sorry to disagree with this, but, saying it serves him right is just wrong. As stupid as he was, he didn't deserves a fate like this.
I just hope now people understand why they have resticted areas. Hopefully people will learn from this and no one will ever be this stupid again :(

#10 Stew

Stew

Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

Like the SFKK accident a year ago wasn't bad enough. But still, sad,

This has nothing to do with the SFKK accident. That was a ride malfunction. This accident appears to be purely the error of the victim.

I'm with everyone else, it is a sad loss for the family, but there is a reason why those signs and fences are there.
Bull Rides: (35) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures! http://stew560.smugmug.com/ThemeParks

Posted Image
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

#11 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

What an awful accident, but that's why there are restricted areas around coasters.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#12 SFGAsue

SFGAsue

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

I read in a report on Yahoo that he was trying to retrieve his hat and his friend hopped the fences too although the friend was not hurt. I feel really badly for his family who will feel the pain/loss for the rest of their lives. I just don't understand why anyone would go into a high-fenced restricted area, for a hat, a wallet, keys, any reason at all.

#13 redsoxfan0810

redsoxfan0810

Resident rowing beast.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

From all the stories I've read the kids either went in to get a lost item and in the process one jumped up to try and grab the train/ a riders legs or the kids took a shortcut to enter the park after exiting for lunch, and also jumped at the ride. Either way it's complete stupidity. Items can be safely retrived after the park is closed. When you leave the park, get your hand stamped and go all the way through the entrance coming back. Would you rather give a few extra minutes of time or your life?

#14 Guest_sros1fan_*

Guest_sros1fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...six_flags_death

AUSTELL, Ga. - A teenager was decapitated by a roller coaster after he hopped a pair of fences and entered a restricted area Saturday at Six Flags Over Georgia, authorities said.

Six Flags officials are uncertain why the unidentified 17-year-old from Columbia, S.C. scaled two six-foot fences and passed signs that said the restricted area was both off-limits and dangerous to visitors, spokeswoman Hela Sheth said in a news release.

Authorities were investigating reports from witnesses who said the teenager jumped the fences to retrieve a hat he lost while riding the Batman roller coaster, said Cobb County police Sgt. Dana Pierce. Three security guards were keeping visitors away from the ride on Saturday.

Police said the ride was going full-speed when the teen was struck. The ride's top speed is 50 mph, according to the Six Flags Web site.

No one riding on the roller coaster was injured, Sheth said. The teen's friend also entered the restricted area but was not injured, Pierce said.

The teen and his parents were at the park with a group from the Oakey Spring Baptist Church near Springfield, S.C., police said.

In June 2007, a teenager's legs were severed when cables snapped on the Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Ky. Doctors were able to reattach Kaitlyn Lasitter's right foot, but she had to have some of her left leg amputated and subsequent surgeries.

State officials blame a faulty cable and slow response by an amusement park ride operator in the accident. Her family is suing Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, claiming the park failed to maintain the ride and equipment and ensure riders' safety. The amusement park has denied liability in court filings.

#15 supermanros16

supermanros16

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

I just don't understand why anyone would go into a high-fenced restricted area, for a hat, a wallet, keys, any reason at all.

Probably the same reason why that boy went into the water to retrieve his hat from the River Adventure at IOA, just didnt want to wait to get it back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users