Photo

Teen decapitated at SFOG

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_sros1fan_*

Guest_sros1fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

So in actuallity his life was worth a $1 which is the price SF charges for a locker which so many people complain about!

#17 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

So in actuallity his life was worth a $1 which is the price SF charges for a locker which so many people complain about!

No. This was a tragedy. WTH do the lockers have anything to do with this? He may have just lost a cell phone that was easily secured and in the middle of the ride decided to whip it out and take a pic while on the ride as I've seen so many people do.
Lets just wait for more info. Its useless to speculate.

#18 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

Guests entering "Danger Zones" are something that happens at parks everyday.
You don't know how many times I witnessed this while working at the park.

It's a shame though. This could have been avoided by either A ) Getting a locker or B ) Waiting until the park closed and allowing security to get the hat.

Also, it was a hat...not no cell phone. Plus it's quite hard for a cell phone to escape during Batman due to the high forces. They also can't take a picture on any Batman ride cause it moves way too fast.

#19 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

And Sue, it was a hat...not no cell phone.

Hi! Posted Image I'm Chris, not Sue. And yes, you are correct. I didnt read the most recent post on the matter.

#20 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

Yea, I just fixed it. I swear I saw a different user name there for a second. I'm bad :)

#21 Guest_sros1fan_*

Guest_sros1fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

No. This was a tragedy.

Authorities were investigating reports from witnesses who said the teenager jumped the fences to retrieve a hat he lost while riding the Batman roller coaster, said Cobb County police Sgt. Dana Pierce.

yes it was a tragedy to the parents and people who wittnessed it, but for the accident itself was pure stupidity.

#22 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

the accident itself was pure stupidity.

Agreed.

#23 lilmikemarin

lilmikemarin

Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

I really feel bad for the family. Sucks that he had to die though.

Imagine being front row on the train :unsure:

Edited by lilmikemarin, 29 June 2008 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

The opposite arguement could be that if SF didn't have the $1.00 lockers and still had the station cubbies, he might have left his hat in the station instead of losing it on the ride

Edited by Yoshi, 29 June 2008 - 06:09 PM.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#25 pashacar

pashacar

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

^Oh damn, don't let the lawyer see that. Can't wait to see what the family comes up with as to why they should get their millions. . . .

#26 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

The opposite arguement could be that if SF didn't have the $1.00 lockers and still had the station cubbies, he might have left his hat in the station instead of losing it on the ride

It would suck to think a decapitation might be the catalyst for Six Flags dropping their stupid $1 locker fee. Nonetheless, these parents now bury their child prematurely. It's a sad situation and condolences go out to all parties involved.

#27 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

I cant tell you how many times I've seen trains dispatch with people wearing hats. Why are trains dispatched with people wearing] hats?
I think hats are considered loose articles. Its very unhealthy for people to stand in the hot sun without a hat. I believe this is the reason you are allowed past the queue enterance with a hat. However, I thought you had to sit on the hat to secure it.
Was this kid wearing the hat???
As much as I hate the new locker policy, I dont think it was the reason for this horrific accident. I believe if he could have left the hat on the side in the station, he wouldn't have. Last season I was amazed at the idiots who lost hats while riding coasters and get pissed when they did.
Use common sense people :(

#28 Guest_sros1fan_*

Guest_sros1fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

Here is more on the story including a video news report.

#29 rwarrior24

rwarrior24

Hockey is Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

My biggest problem with this whole thing is how the media tries to make the park look bad. Every report you read or see on the news, has to mention the girl that lost her feet at SFKK. That was an accident that should not have happened. What happened at SFOG was just stupidity on the persons behave. They have no connection other then the fact they are Six Flags parks and it should not be mentioned. God I hate the media.

And this is what bad media reports do for business from a texas website:

Six Flags Inc., the second-biggest U.S. theme-park operator, fell as much as 16 percent after the weekend death of a teenager who was struck and killed by a roller-coaster ride at its Six Flags Over Georgia park.

Edited by rwarrior24, 30 June 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#30 SoulessCorpse

SoulessCorpse

Nitro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

icon_STOPPark News - (6/29/08) The news has been buzzing since last night over the decapitation of a teenager at Six Flags over Georgia, but the strange thing is that no one report still has the clear story on just what happened or exactly why he entered the restricted area under Batman: The Ride.
The updated facts we do know is that he was 17 years old and visiting the park as part of a church group from Columbia, South Carolina. We do know that he scaled not just one, but two tall fences covered with warning signs to gain access to the area under Batman: The Ride. As confirmed by the park, the fences in question are 6 feet tall so this was no easy task. One was a wrought-iron perimeter fence and the second was a chain-link fence that blocked off the Batman: The Ride restricted area itself.
SFOG_080102_Batman4_300 Several of the reports also claim that a “friend” scaled the fences with him but avoided being killed by the coaster. So far there has been no public statement from this “friend” for the reason why he did it. While some of the later news reports have speculated that he may have been trying to retrieve a ‘hat’ he lost, this goes against the early reports that he was trying to grab someone’s legs hanging down from the coaster. There is also the common sense factor (that went out the window when he jumped the first fence…) that someone just trying to get a lost hat would have at least waited until the coaster was not in the area before going after it. Someone only after a hat would not have been trying to get as close to the coaster as possible, so I suspect something else may have been going on here. News reports have now mentioned that he climbed into the Batman area from the parking lot side of the park. It seems the group had left the park to have lunch in the parking lot. In this case… since he was clearly outside the park, it’s not like he just got off the ride and lost his hat, so the lost hat story makes even less sense. In fact another report also mentions that they believe the victim was trying to make a ‘short cut’ back into the park and chose to climb over the two fences rather than walk around to the main gate.
While this wouldn’t be the first death of this type, in previous cases the victims were usually killed by being struck by the legs of the riders. In this case, there has been no report of him being struck by a rider because that would have caused a second injury and been mentioned. So we can only assume that either the riders managed to see him and lifted their legs to avoid him.
In the end he was struck by the coaster itself (not a rider) which apparently sent him flying up and into one of the ride’s support posts where he was decapitated by the impact. Batman was closed for the rest of the day and will remain closed today, but the park expects to reopen the coaster by Monday. As for that Darwin Award I mentioned… it looks like the kid has already been nominated.

God i love Screamscape lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users