2007 visits: 15
'This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.'

#17 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Nice pictures, you can really see how empty the lot was in the last picture and the picture with SUF. I also thought it was very difficult to find people while on the sky ride. I think I saw 5 people total.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#18 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Nice PTR! I always love the site of Kingda Ka "in the fog". The place looked dead.

#19 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

You got to remember, the park still has to get ready for Fright Fest during this time..

You're kidding, right? For a second there you had me. You honestly can't believe the Fright Fest setup would be prohibitively delayed by a rescheduled 5 hour event. The park is closed weekdays and has plenty of time to prepare for Fright Fest. There is nothing to prevent setups from continuing in areas closed to the GP during the event. If by chance it rained everyday this upcoming week (preventing further Fright Fest decorating), Great Adventure wouldn't close or cancel Fright Fest (rendering your point moot).

They still have webbings, finishing up the trails, testing out everything, rehearsing the shows and make-up, getting the new banners for Fright Fest up in the park, and so much more. And yes, they do work in the rain. Ask anyone who has ever set up Fright Fest. When they lose a day due to the park being operational, they can run into problems (I.E: Last year, they didn't have time to put up the Bone Butcher Territory sign)(rendering your point moot back.).

#20 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

I think there were more "dead people" from the Fright Fest set-up then those who were actually alive and walking around the park.

#21 lil jimmy norton

lil jimmy norton

GADV Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

That kind of sucks that they closed the park so early. I know that their was practically no one their, but since it was a season pass event, they could have kept it open a little later.

If you owned the park, would you keep it open for only 200 people or would you close it and save a ton of money? ;)

I have to agree with Thunderbolt, either don't have the event and try to reschedule or just keep it open for the people it was for, the season pass holders.
My dog is destroying my life.

#22 darkridedan

darkridedan

Weather forecaster

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

Excellent pics techman!

I officially miss the Teepee
Posted Image

Darn you people for turning me into a sidewalk enthusiast!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 rwarrior24

rwarrior24

Hockey is Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

I was disappointed that I was not in any of the pictures. My wife and I were 2 of the 50 people in the park............. :D .

I am glad it was at least open for the 2 1/2 hours so that we could get some rides in but I was not happy that we drove over an hour to get there and then they closed it early for poor attendance. If it started pouring rain then I can understand closing for the weather but it is not my fault the attendance was low so why should I be punished for showing up. I called the park at 4:00 when we got down there and was told that the event would run as planned.

That would be like a baseball game being canceled because only 100 people showed up. (My example would be the Florida Marlins).

Anyone know why Nitro was down? We were waiting in line when the test ended, they were going to send us out and then the ride op said something about a 1156 and the gates were stuck open and the restraints were stuck. And it never ran again. The test train came back fine.

#24 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

I agree with what you said, I also called around 4:00 right before I left and was told the same thing. It's about a 50 minute drive for me. I really feel bad for those that got there too late and only got a couple of rides and those that got there too late and were turned away from entering the lot at all.

The other thing that concerns me is what is the minimum needed to keep the park open. I mean I hear the early Friday's in Frightfest are empty. I plan to go October 10th, I'd hate to get there and find it so empty that they end up closing early that night too.

I think they didn't feel like bothering opening Nitro back up for the few people in the park. When I first went to Nitro it was a little before 5:30, told it was closed for minor technical difficulties. I checked back at 7:00, same thing, 7:15 same thing. If it was really minor, it shouldn't have been closed for 2 hours.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#25 techman01

techman01

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Good point, Kingda Ka's "minor issues" usually last no where near 2hrs.

They could have kept the park open and saved a ton of money by cutting the amount of staff they had at the games, and some of the food places.
Once they saw weather, should have cut staff in half at all the non-ride locations that were open, maybe not even bothered to open the games etc.
2009 Season Rides: | El Toro: 2 | Kingda Ka: 1 | Nitro: 2 | Bizzaro: 0 |
Total Visits: 1
2008 visits: 9
2007 visits: 15
'This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.'

#26 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

That would have been a good idea, I didn't see 1 person play a game the entire night and on the way out the only people I saw with a prize was 2 kids.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#27 MRHS Falcons

MRHS Falcons

I miss her everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

You got to remember, the park still has to get ready for Fright Fest during this time..

You're kidding, right? For a second there you had me. You honestly can't believe the Fright Fest setup would be prohibitively delayed by a rescheduled 5 hour event. The park is closed weekdays and has plenty of time to prepare for Fright Fest. There is nothing to prevent setups from continuing in areas closed to the GP during the event. If by chance it rained everyday this upcoming week (preventing further Fright Fest decorating), Great Adventure wouldn't close or cancel Fright Fest (rendering your point moot).

Josh is right, their was no time to reschedule this event, this weeek is very busy week for the fright fest setup crew and GADV in general. Their two private events, dress rehersal, and finishing the setting up for FF. You have to remember thats five hours they could not work on setting up the stuff that need to get done, as it is right now they are working well past eight at night to get ready. If it did rain this week they would not cancel opening weekend for fright fest because they do still set stuff up in the rain. they worked many hour in rain to set stuff up this season and in the past.

I agree with what you said, I also called around 4:00 right before I left and was told the same thing. It's about a 50 minute drive for me. I really feel bad for those that got there too late and only got a couple of rides and those that got there too late and were turned away from entering the lot at all.The other thing that concerns me is what is the minimum needed to keep the park open. I mean I hear the early Friday's in Frightfest are empty. I plan to go October 10th, I'd hate to get there and find it so empty that they end up closing early that night too.I think they didn't feel like bothering opening Nitro back up for the few people in the park. When I first went to Nitro it was a little before 5:30, told it was closed for minor technical difficulties. I checked back at 7:00, same thing, 7:15 same thing. If it was really minor, it shouldn't have been closed for 2 hours.

Fiday night during FF will be safe, because it is consider a regular operating day. Season Pass holders night was a special event, so they take a look at it diffrently than regular nights. Nitro was have minor issues and was going to reopen when it was fixed but they did not reopen it because they decide to close for the night

Good point, Kingda Ka's "minor issues" usually last no where near 2hrs.They could have kept the park open and saved a ton of money by cutting the amount of staff they had at the games, and some of the food places.Once they saw weather, should have cut staff in half  at all the non-ride locations that were open, maybe not even bothered to open the games etc.

They did cut the staffing to minimal staffing levels at all location ecept for the boardwalk games square and the rides that were opened. They were going to cut the games dept. and rides dept. a lot more but they decided it was just a better idea to close the park. The park also closed early on Saturday an sunday, so the weather was horrible all weekend.The park did not close because of the amont of people in the park, it closed because of the fog that was starting to role in, hence the meaning of inclement weather.
Posted Image

________________________________________________________________________________

#28 Philk414

Philk414

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I am so upset at Six Flags. I showed up to the park around 645. for me the park is about an hour drive away. I called the park around 5 to make sure that they were still going to be open. when I showed up I was told that most of the rides were closed and that the park was going to be closing at 730. At first there story was that the rain was causing them to close4, but then once the rain stopped they said that attendence was too low, but why should that be my problem? I automatically went over to the guest relations booth, where I got attitude by the rep., and was told that I shouldnt be upset tbecause I was a season pass holder, and that I could come a diffrent time. They offered me NO compensation or sympathy what so ever. Once more and more people started going to guest relations they begain to give out exit passes for when we come back to get on rides, but they treated us like dogs, not valued season pass holders. The point is that this family night was supposed to be the friday before, but the park was offered to be bought out for that night for a private event, so us, the season pass holders where pushed to the following week. They allready have our money so they really dont need to take much care of us. I am very upset with the park of how they handled this!! But I love the park too much to stay mad for long, but all im saying is that they need to treat their season pass holders with a little more respect.
Posted Image

-In there like swimwear-

#29 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Fiday night during FF will be safe, because it is consider a regular operating day. Season Pass holders night was a special event, so they take a look at it diffrently than regular nights.

You are correct. They should have looked at a scheduled Special Event differently. They should have gone out of their way to make the few SP holders that actually came out feel special. Do they even consider the people who drive hours to get to the park?

#30 peggybetty

peggybetty

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

But I love the park too much to stay mad for long, but all im saying is that they need to treat their season pass holders with a little more respect.

You are the type of customer they are counting on.
You've got to complain, complain, complain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users