44 replies to this topic

#16 Tboy20

Tboy20

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

I have been going to Great Adventure for many years now, and i never went on the big wheel, always said i would go on it the next time. It always seemed to have many people in line. Hopefully it remains, so that i can get on it. If not, to stay with the family theme, maybe they can add a spot to bob for apples, or maybe have an area to play hopscotch. In all seriousness though, i can't see them getting rid of the big wheel, for the most part i think every park i've been to has some kind of ferris wheel. I remember that as one of my first memories of Great Adventure, seeing the big wheel, i don't know why, but i always remember it. And the first time i was there was in 96!

#17 thechiller15

thechiller15

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

If im not mistaken josh already talked to a person at the park and they confirmed that it wasnt going anywhere and that they are just doing rehab on it.

#18 Tboy20

Tboy20

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

Sorry, i just read that now. That is good news. I still have to get on it though, if i get there this year. First year in 6 years i didn't buy a season pass!

#19 thechiller15

thechiller15

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

With the lack of flat rides in the park it seems like the big wheel always has a long line.

#20 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

I need to get back on it. It's been 5 years I think.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#21 screaminkid2005

screaminkid2005

Flyers you have reached the top, 3,2,1 FLY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

I haven't been on it since 2005. I was going to go on it this past summer but the line was huge!
Posted Image

#22 gmount07

gmount07

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

Is it possible that managment is infact taking the Big Wheel out for good, or are they just reapairing it?

Well I worked there from 98-02 and in 06'. I remember working the Big Wheel for plenty of years and what has been said by management is that a the park, can't be considered a park, without the Big Wheel. If they took it down, it is just to do rehab on it. It is the only Ferris Wheel they have left. All the park I have been to have at least one, just like in Wildwood.

#23 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Gmount07,

Welcome to the forums. For future refrence please follow the site posting guidelines. Make sure your posts are "easy on the eyes" and easy for all of us to understand. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask any of us.

-------

Regarding Big Wheel, I drive by the park A LOT, once I see anything in the skyline again, I'll make sure to update you guys on it.

And it HAS BEEN confirmed as we already stated that Big Wheel is just getting some TLC.

#24 gmount07

gmount07

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

I was just responding to what someone already had said. Like I said before I have worked there for plenty of years as you can see and probably this year too because I can't find any work and got a little one coming but as I was told years ago, they would always have a ferris wheel. Anyway have a great night.

Gmount07,

Welcome to the forums. For future refrence please follow the site posting guidelines. Make sure your posts are "easy on the eyes" and easy for all of us to understand. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask any of us.

-------

Regarding Big Wheel, I drive by the park A LOT, once I see anything in the skyline again, I'll make sure to update you guys on it.

And it HAS BEEN confirmed as we already stated that Big Wheel is just getting some TLC.

#25 PatMan007

PatMan007

A Walk In The Park Podcast Host & In The Loop Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Found this today on the CoasterRadio Blog Good News:

Six Flags Great Adventure recently announced that their 15-story park icon - The Big Wheel, is being completely refurbished for the 2009 season with 7, 824 new energy saving LED bulbs.

After these bulbs are installed, it will reduce approximately 8.5 million pounds of carbon emissions from the atmosphere.

It's amazing when you realize that this is equivalent to removing 72 cars from the road or planting more than 2,850 trees!

The new LED lights will also be part of an animated lighting display which includes chasing rim lights and the blooming of the ferris wheel's iconic flower petals.

A Walk In The Park Podcast Blog
NOW PLAYING This week: Video from Mousefest
Coaster Count: 306
In The Loop Co-Host

#26 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

Omg! So its going to be something like Morey's Piers! Bomb! I really hope I work there this year!!!
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#27 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

^Sort of, but not completely. The Morey's wheel is all straight lines. I hope this looks really cool. Maybe they'll even synch it to The Glow In The Park Parade
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#28 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I always wanted to see GITP but never stayed til night.
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#29 Guest_Beethoven_*

Guest_Beethoven_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Wow I did not see that coming. A lighting display on the big wheel is an awesome idea, cant wait to see the final result.

#30 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well Josh, looks like what we wanted has come true.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users