Mike

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

http://www.app.com/a...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

Great Adventure park reinventing the wheel
SIX FLAGS SITE MARKS 35 YEARS IN JACKSON: Park planning to celebrate by refurbishing its iconic Ferris wheel

When the Ferris wheel was brought to Great Adventure by the park's founder, Warner LeRoy, in 1974, it was considered one of the premiere amusement rides in the world.
RELATED

* Great Adventure refurbishes its Ferris Wheel

Thusly, when Great Adventure opened in Jackson, all roads inside led to the "Big Wheel." It was visible to visitors from all corners of the 1,500-acre site and became one of the customary meeting places for tourists.

Standing 150 feet high and weighing in at 160 tons, it was considered one of the largest rides in the world at the time.

"It was part of Mr. LeRoy's philosophy to have the biggest, the largest, the fastest in order to get attention," said Jim Futrell, the author of four books on amusement parks in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Now, in honor of the ride's 35th anniversary, management has spent the off season refurbishing the "Big Wheel," complete with thousands of new, energy-efficient Light Emitting Diode bulbs. Maintenance crews and electricians are midway through the six-month process of getting the new, improved brighter Ferris wheel ready for the park's April opening.

"It's very common for theme parks to want to preserve their iconic attractions especially if they've become a part of a park's character," said Great Adventure spokeswoman Angel Aristone. "And the Big Wheel is definitely part of our property's character."

Beginning in the late 1980s, Ferris wheels began to get bigger and bigger. The 212-foot Texas Star was built in Dallas during that decade to eclipse the size of the Big Wheel.

In 1999, the 443-foot London Eye was completed. Three years ago, the Singapore Flyer was finished, dwarfing all other Ferris wheels worldwide by measuring in at 525-feet high.

But instead of a bigger and faster ride, Great Adventure's park management went the cleaner and greener route to attract attention.

Futrell said the conversion to eco-friendly lights started during the past decade. He added that he feels the trend will continue for a variety of reasons.

"It's become a hot thing in Ferris wheels," said Futrell, who has been the historian for the National Amusement Park Historical Association since 1984.

"Not only are the LED lights more cost efficient, but you can do so much more with them," said Futrell. "The giant wheel at Morey's Pier (Wildwood) went to the new lights a few years ago and it looks spectacular."

Management expects Great Adventure's light show to be equally as creative.

The new visuals will include multicolored lights arranged in a floral pattern. Crews will be applying more than 100 gallons of bright paint to the ride as well.

"It is important to restore (Big Wheel) to its original, historic beauty," said Mark Kane, president of Six Flags Great Adventure park. "While at the same time, we are improving its impact on the environment."

Park officials estimate the new energy efficient lights will reduce carbon emissions by about 8.5 million pounds.

The Big Wheel, along with the sky ride, log flume, and the flying wave, are the original four major rides still active at the park.

Keith Ruscitti: (732) 557-5748 or kruscitti@app.com

Edited by Adam, 05 February 2009 - 01:37 PM.
Pasted article for easier viewing

Posted Image
4ever

#32 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

Make sure you check out the video the APP has up as well.

Management says the light show will be equivalent to what Morey's has.
The ride is also going to get over 100 gallons of paint.

#33 thechiller15

thechiller15

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yea they also said that Flying wave is still active in the park which we all know is not true unless......... :confused0006:

#34 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Ha, I didn't even pick up on that. APP is known to have typos. It was probably suppose to be Fantasy Fling.

Maybe I'll actually go on Big Wheel for the first time ever this season.

#35 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

This is awesome news.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#36 njgoalie33

njgoalie33

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

They're nice but basically they're keeping the same light holders and just replacing the bulbs. Morey's wheel was completely replaced by strips whick contained hundreds of mini LEDs in several colors that can produce different patterns and designs. It seems that GADV's wheel will have a set pattern.

Its still going to look nice, but not as nice as Moreys.

#37 BiZaRpErMan

BiZaRpErMan

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

Anybody notice this from ScreamScape?

http://www.app.com/a...458/1070/NEWS02

Posted Image

#38 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I actually got the newspaper..

sig_kaiser.png

#39 screaminkid2005

screaminkid2005

Flyers you have reached the top, 3,2,1 FLY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

I can't wait to ride it this season. I'll prob end up taking 583475836465386453 pictures of it haha.
Posted Image

#40 ElToroGirl84

ElToroGirl84

The Bull Rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

I always wanted to try the big wheel but it always had a really long line or didn't appear to be running.

Glad they are fixing it up instead of getting rid of it. It's nice iconic ride for the park, I would hate to see it go.
Total GAdv coaster count:

Kingda ka: 3
Nitro: 9
B:TR: 5

DK: 2
El Toro: 7
Medusa: 4
SM: 6

#41 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

According to Screamscape, Six Flags St. Louis is adding a lighting package to their ferris wheel, Colossus as well. Six Flags really is doing a good job this season with these types of things!
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#42 Guest_southview2_*

Guest_southview2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

Yea, but their's isnt getting a complete overhaul like ours, so HA! SF stl! Haha, lol, jk. . .

#43 MrFunky1337

MrFunky1337

Your friendly neighbourhood "That Guy!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I saw the pictures of the cars on GAHistory, and I must say that they are B-E-A-utiful! And light's too, that will make the night skyline look even more beautiful.
(/o<o)/\(o>o\)
HIGH FIVE.

#44 Dave.

Dave.

Shred.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

I can't wait to see this. Keeping an old landmark ride of the park's history, and reinventing it to let it "shine" ( :yay: ) into the park's future.

This is a BIG and meaningful project!
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rutgers University
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences | Coastal Ocean Observation Laboratory | AUV Glider Lab

My NLDC

#45 ck495

ck495

didn't your dad ever teach you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

With the lack of flat rides in the park it seems like the big wheel always has a long line.

That is very true, i have realized that to especially at night with the new lights, i thing that makes even more people come to the ride, they deff need more flat rides.
Arms down head back hold on

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users