PAPD37

Batman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

All hail the great Pupmpkin.
Posted Image

In memory of the 37 Brave Men and Women of the Port Authority Police Dept of NY and NJ who gave there lives on 9-11. It is cause of you, in the darkest hour of our country, we saw the lightest hour. May god bless you. RIP PAPD37

#17 Dave.

Dave.

Shred.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Skull Mountain has a LOT of potential. It would be a great ride to work on to update and/or further theme.

As far as adding scary stuff: I don't think the ride is or will be intended as a horror/scary/"haunted" ride. As cool as I, personally, think that would be...I just don't think it's going to happen, and with all good reason. Here are the two ride descriptions for Skull Mountain straight from Six Flag's website:

Skull Mountain is a steel, enclosed roller coaster that takes riders on an indoor, in-the-dark trip through hidden tunnels and unexpected twists. But don't be afraid. A strobe light and sound effects will help you get through the ride.

Explore the dark side of fun on Skull Mountain, an indoor, in-the-dark roller coaster full of hidden tunnels and unexpected twists.

They are clearly and openly advertising Skull Mountain as a family-friendly ride. Yes, it obviously has a "darker" feel to it, but it's not meant to have any serious horror added to it. If it had a more intense layout, then perhaps I'd argue it the other way.

That being said, keeping to the family-friendly theme, yet also recognizing the "thrill-seeker" attendance at the park, Skull Mountain could really benefit all-around from an update and additional theming. A room-filling fog could GREATLY add to the overall atmosphere inside the main room without making it too scary. Teenagers and adults would notice and appreciate the fog as an atmosphere enhancer, but the little kids probably wouldn't even know the difference. Dark is dark to them for the most part. The fog would help distribute colored lights and also keep the riders from clearly seeing all the different parts of the room well throughout the ride. I think the speaker placement could also be redesigned. I think getting super close to the speakers and having it get REALLY loud and then having the volume fade away as you get farther from the speaker takes away from the audio effects. I think there should be a steady volume throughout the ride. I do like the audio track, however. I think it suits the ride well, and gives the illusion of a much faster speed than the train is actually moving due to the intensity of the mood of the audio track. Strobes would be great again, especially with fog. Some new figures and props would be a nice change, too. Along with all of that, a more in-depth storyline would coincide excellently with some new effects and theming. Perhaps a new storyline could either be told or implied via "ancient signs" or wall paintings and maybe even audio throughout the queue with appropriate dim/colored lighting.
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rutgers University
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences | Coastal Ocean Observation Laboratory | AUV Glider Lab

My NLDC

#18 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Skull Mountain is more thrilling than TDK.
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#19 jayjay

jayjay

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Skull Mountain would be awesome if they turned the strobes back on! Add some fog in there too!

I agree why was the strobes even shut off

#20 coastercrazy407

coastercrazy407

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Skull Mountain is more thrilling than TDK.

QFT.
Its been said before; a wild mouse is not ment to be in the dark.
Posted Image

#21 matt!!

matt!!

We can't change the world unless we change ourselves.

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

^Not true...case in point- http://rcdb.com/id538.htm

the best wild mouse (in one of the best parks) I have ever been on and the themeing is really good!
Coaster Count- 198

#22 kkcr77

kkcr77

Reccession Bancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

^ I agree. If it's done right and themed well a mouse in the dark can work really well. Granted, Exterminator is a spinner, but it is probably the best mouse I've ever been on and the darkness contributes nicely to the theme and chaotic feel of the ride.
Posted Image
ThrillCoaster Tours---California Coasters Tour---2 days!

#23 Paul Zarate

Paul Zarate

Kingda Ka Ryder 4 Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

I don't think it needs an update, I just think they need to get the effects running and maybe some minor touches. Nothing that would take a whole off season
2009 Parks: Six Flags Great Adventure, Disney World, Disneyland, Dorney Park, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, Kennywood, Knoebels, Hershey Park, Morey's Pier, Busch Gardens Africa, Busch Gardens Europe, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World Orlando, Universal Orlando, Boomers Amusement Park Fort Lauderdale, Kings Dominion, Holiday World, Six Flags Magic Mountain.

#24 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Skull Mountain would be awesome if they turned the strobes back on! Add some fog in there too!

They broke and couldn't afford a new light bulb.
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#25 Paul Zarate

Paul Zarate

Kingda Ka Ryder 4 Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

What? They work, from time to time they use them. I've gotten maybe twenty rides last year with hem on.
2009 Parks: Six Flags Great Adventure, Disney World, Disneyland, Dorney Park, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, Kennywood, Knoebels, Hershey Park, Morey's Pier, Busch Gardens Africa, Busch Gardens Europe, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World Orlando, Universal Orlando, Boomers Amusement Park Fort Lauderdale, Kings Dominion, Holiday World, Six Flags Magic Mountain.

#26 Dave.

Dave.

Shred.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

What? They work, from time to time they use them. I've gotten maybe twenty rides last year with hem on.

He was kidding...or at least I hope. I can't remember if I rode Skull Mountain last year with the strobes or not. I know the music and a few colored lights were on, but I can't remember whether the strobes were ever on or not during any of my rides...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rutgers University
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences | Coastal Ocean Observation Laboratory | AUV Glider Lab

My NLDC

#27 sixflagsman

sixflagsman

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

He was kidding...or at least I hope. I can't remember if I rode Skull Mountain last year with the strobes or not. I know the music and a few colored lights were on, but I can't remember whether the strobes were ever on or not during any of my rides...

I've never ridden Skull Mountain with the strobes on!
Posted Image

#28 Paul Zarate

Paul Zarate

Kingda Ka Ryder 4 Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I've never ridden Skull Mountain with the strobes on!

If you ask the ride operator he/she would most likely turn them on.

#29 Dave.

Dave.

Shred.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Riding with the strobes is definitely cool. In my opinion, they should only be turned on for part of the ride...and some fog would help confine their major effects to their local areas, but also fill out through the fog to create a new atmosphere.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rutgers University

My NLDC

#30 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I remember the bones and tiki masks from when the ride first opened and all the blacklight efforts were working. Overall I liked seeing some of the track so the strobe lights were my favorite effect. I don't like the all dark approach.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users