206 replies to this topic

#181 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

^Looks great! Keep it up! The level of detail just continues to amaze me.

#182 RC98

RC98

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Nice, I like it! I like the level of detail and I'm also curious as to how you made the music express operate since the game doesn't come with one. Are there custom flat rides for RCT2 like there are for 3?
My YouTube Account: http://www.youtube.c...rCoasterRider98
Total Coasters Ridden: 100

#183 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Nice, I like it! I like the level of detail and I'm also curious as to how you made the music express operate since the game doesn't come with one. Are there custom flat rides for RCT2 like there are for 3?

To a very minimal degree they have custom flats, but most of the time RCT2 forces you to be creative if you want operational flats that aren't in the game. The way I have a functional Big Wheel, Stuntman's Freefall and Musik Express are hacks, my good sir. Lots and lots of hacks... haha.

KC

ChillerBrokenWingsKCRIPSig.png
"I remember the chill that came over, as everything I loved went falling...
Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

Six Flags Great Adventure 2006 RCT2 Re-Creation: 76%
--Dead Man's Party '06 will never be topped...but '09 came damn close!--

#184 rctbignate0913

rctbignate0913

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

KC, I am absolutely thrilled to see that you have found your way back to this project. If you look back a few pages you can see my posts throughout this forum (rctbignate). This has intrigued me to search for my RCT2 and start building again as well! 

#185 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

Any updates in the works? I'd love to see some more progress!

#186 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can't believe I haven't commented yet on the progress, but it's looking great. I still love looking back through the pages and seeing the progress you've made on the park. One of my favorite Rct projects of all time. Just curious, what year are you in game?

Posted Image

#187 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hey everyone. Just a heads up on the progress of the project. Yes, it's still going. Had to take another break from it just to collect myself, work on a much bigger project I have in the works, and remember my love for the park during the time period I am immortalizing.  Thankfully I got that boost I needed during Fright Fest this year.

Unfortunately, there are no image updates to show at the moment, but there IS plenty of visual progress that has been made since the last post.  I just want to work on the park a little more and clean up some areas before I start posting screens.

That said, this should give you a bit of an idea as to what's been going on. The Fort Independence Arena is 95% complete, and both Blackbeard and Great Lake Grandstand have been placed on either side of it (Festival Stage was the latest victim of spacial cuts). Blackbeard's hack has also been installed, and is working perfectly. Work was started on the eating area and gazebo stage by Great American Hamburger (now Main Street's Johnny Rockets), and slight drafting work has been done to lay out the rest of Lakefront, as well as the rest of Bugs Bunny National Park. At the moment, the park looks about 70% complete from the overview.

rctbignate, it's awesome to see such a loyal fan of this still posting comments. Glad to see you're still around.

Sfguy, in my current iteration I'm on Year 96, but that was only after I finalized the peeps spawn point and path to the park entrance and officially made the decision to make it a 2006 recreation. Prior to that when it was going to be a 2005 recreation, I had built up to Year 67 before I jumped back into the scenario editor for the final time. So collectively, this park is at Year 163 in game. (Feels like it's been that many in reality, hahaha)

KC

Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

#188 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

^Glad to see you're back in action! Can't wait for some more visible progress. Thanks KC, as always.

Edit: out of curiosity, what is it in the park that helps you remember why you loved the park back in the day (2006 era)? Is it the atmosphere, a certain part of the park, certain rides?
Unfortunately, I was too young to really experience the park in that age. I didn't have any real interest in parks/coasters until around 2011, but I did visit the park when I was much younger on occasion in the mid-00's.
I am well aware of the problems and turn offs of the park in its current state, and how the park changed drastically during the Shapiro days. I guess what I am asking is, outside of the rides (or lack thereof), what is it about the 2006 season that spoke to you? What do you think is missing from the 2014 version of the park that was present in 2006?
Sorry for the long post, but for such a long term and well that out project, I figured you must have a passion for that year.

#189 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hey Password. The short answer is I worked at the park from 2005-2007 as a ride operator. I HATED the introduction of Wiggles World, probably because the year prior I had been stuck over the bridge at Seaport for the majority of the summer, and as much as I couldn't stand being stationed there some days, there was an undeniable camaraderie I felt with the other ops who where there. We were all suffering together, haha. I also detested the "clipping of the wings" Chiller got in 2007 when they removed the Zero-G Rolls erroneously because they thought it was the cause of maintenance issues.

The obvious thing that is missing to me from then to now is a soul and identity. It's not so much "Great Adventure" to me anymore as it is "Superhero Depot". The current version of the park is now devoid of almost all it's history. If you look at 2006, it's offerings were almost a chronicle of the parks growth. 2006 was also before the park went and butchered their best moments of theming and immersion (the original Golden Kingdom, which was FANTASTIC, is now a pathetic shell of it's former self)

The thing is, I grew up seeing the old commercials for Six Flags showing Scream Machine, and even after I rode it and learned to LOATHE the awful track shaping, I still would ride it due to the lack of a queue and just nostalgia. That's gone now. I would ride Rolling Thunder to make fun of the old school shaping, but now that's gone too. And the obvious one is Chiller. Without Chiller, it's unlikely I would've become such a fan of GAdv as I did. Hope that answers your question. If you would like me to expand on anything I stated, I would be more than happy to. :)

Haven't worked much on the park unfortunately, but the semester is winding down so hopefully I'll have some time to mess around with it. I intend at the very least to do another "end of year overall" photo update like before, so keep an eye out for that!

KC

#190 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

The obvious thing that is missing to me from then to now is a soul and identity. It's not so much "Great Adventure" to me anymore as it is "Superhero Depot". The current version of the park is now devoid of almost all it's history. If you look at 2006, it's offerings were almost a chronicle of the parks growth. 2006 was also before the park went and butchered their best moments of theming and immersion (the original Golden Kingdom, which was FANTASTIC, is now a pathetic shell of it's former self)

So much this, especially about the Golden Kingdom. This past season I was walking through GK and realized just how much of it has been stripped away. What used to be my favorite section is now basically just a dead end for Ka and Zu. The Outpost is really the only area of the GK that hasn't been touched but now it's just an isolated strip of shops because the path is closed. It was such a fantastic area with the tigers, awesome kids area, and of course Kingda Ka. I can definitely understand why you'd pick 2006 as the year to base this recreation on.

Posted Image

#191 Password121

Password121

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for that explanation, KC. I wish I could have experienced the park back then, but I still appreciate what the park is. My home park is SFA, and beyond the obvious problems and shortcomings of the park, the main problem I have with the park it that is has absolutely no atmosphere. The back half of the park is a field of grass and three cloned coasters.
Great Adventure may not be what is once was, but it is miles ahead of many Six Flags and other corporate parks in nearly every comparison. And in my opinion, it has been slowly improving over the past few years. I can't wait to see what the future holds at Six Flags Great Adventure.

#192 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Overall (12-30-11)

GADV-Overall12-30-11.gif

Overall (1-7-15)

GADV-Overall1-7-15.gif

This is about 4 months old and was taken from the "build" save that I've been using, which essentially is a save from the previous "real" save that I use to test spacing, hacks and designs in. If I like the look and the spacing feels right (and no hacks have created any glitches or anomalies), I make the build the newest "real" save.

So that being said, I was working on the shaping and landscaping around Saw Mill's track, and the path ways from the Aqua Stadium towards Skull Mountain. You can also tell by the gridwork on the ground that I'm also trying to map out which buildings should be angled towards the fountain and which should be angled towards Nitro's lift as you head into Movietown from Dream Street. That curvature in a real pain at the moment.

Hoping to have this finished and released this year. Fingers crossed.

KC

#193 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

HOLY CRAP, look at that progression. Nice to see this still going, can't wait for the release!

Every time I see this post I fire up RCT, thanks!

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#194 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

Forgot to comment when I first saw it but this park is looking great! Can't wait to see this finished.

Posted Image

#195 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

"As the sun begins to slip behind the horizon, you traverse what has become known as Dream Street. The mist from the centerpiece fountain hits the nape of your neck as you set course towards one of the park's everlasting icons. Passing the golden Jersey Shore Candies shop, you notice a growing line outside of the building right next to it. The newly christened "Flash Pass" building seems quite popular -- clearly there are some guests who will spare no expense to make sure they experience every attraction Great Adventure has to offer, even on a wonderfully modest crowd day such as this. Just beyond is another classic attraction that makes it presence known every time the operator pushes the dispatch button: "Welcome to the Flying Wave!"

No matter how desperately the Wave attempts to make it's presence known audibly, it cannot best the physical shadow of it's colossal neighbor. Known quite bluntly as The Big Wheel, this will become the catalyst to quite a few of your most cherished memories over this season -- on a few summer nights, you will watch the fireworks while your car is stopped at the peak of it's structure; within the autumn chill of October, you will witness what you believe is the greatest rendition of the ever-popular Fright Fest dance show Dead Man's Party at it's base. Of course, you don't know this now. All that lies ahead of you is another season brimming with potential. As if on cue at the thought of potential, a powerful roar echoes not too far off, daring you to challenge the coaster that created it. Your curiosity sees you contemplate accepting the challenge of taking up arms to save Gotham City. Tonight's forecast: a freeze is coming..."

Dream Street

GADV-DreamStreet.gif

KC

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users