Photo

The Never Ending Pointless Thread

78246 replies to this topic

#78241 VaCoasterfan

VaCoasterfan

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

I am thankful for this forum. This was one of the first that I came across way back when that helped me fuel my interest in roller coasters and of course Great Adventure. It was also one of the best for discussions of any kind. I miss it.

#78242 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

Agreed, this was one of the first coaster forums I joined and I probably wouldn't have given the park another chance if I hadn't read so much about the park improving and trip reports on this forum. I had a horrible trip to the park in 2002 (and only went because we had free tickets) and stayed away from 2003 - 2006 because of it. Then I went back in 2007 and had a much better trip and decided to get a season pass the next year and have gotten a season pass every year since then.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#78243 VaCoasterfan

VaCoasterfan

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

I'm glad you have enjoyed the park so much after going back in 07, enough to even become an admin on a website dedicated to it!

I remember those trip reports too, those were my favorite. I remember it seemed like every other day there were new trip reports from the likes of Christian, Josh, or Dainan to name a few.

#78244 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Yeah I decided I wanted to become a moderator when I saw in 2010 they were accepting applications for moderators and was selected and then 9 months later, I got promoted to Administrator.

I still try to post trips reports for every visit, unfortunately since I am no longer less than an hour away from the park my trips to the park have really decreased this year (I went from 28 trips to the park last year to 5 so far this year).

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#78245 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:30 AM

The site's heyday was around 10 years ago when I joined up. It was really exciting with Kingdom Katie and Toro being added. Since then, there hasn't been anything nearly as exciting as that time.

It's not even fully Facebook's fault. Back when I started up, I would spend countless hours in front of my desktop computer at home. Then smartphones and tablets came about and the entire online culture shifted from forums and posts to bite size updates and comments because everyone is browsing on the go now. I used to love the photo trip reports because you could see what was happening at the park when you weren't there. Once Instagram and Twitter took hold it kind of seemed pointless to write them since you could post directly from the park. Add to that forums didn't play nice with early mobile browsers and the bleed was on.

I honestly still prefer forums. With Facebook and everything else, it opened the door to the casual crowd who weren't really as into it as the forum community. On forums, you can at least tell who knows what they're talking about when you see post counts and reputation and join date, it was a better community atmosphere. It's sad, but progress is progress. If you want good discussion and an active community, GA History is the place to go now. Source/Online is dead, Rip.

#78246 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:54 AM

Happy Thanksgiving

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#78247 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend