74 replies to this topic

#1 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

Six Flags Great Adventure has the potential to be a great theme park, yet they seem to back away from theming in a lot of their rides. Take Nitro, for instance. It's boring, rusty gray box station and its line with no theming whatsoever really bothers me. I wish the park could add some theming to this one of their most popular and highly-rated rides. Now, I'm not entirely certain how one would theme a ride called "Nitro", but I think that Nitro really needs SOME sort of theming.

How about tubes in the station like "Flight of Fear"? Nitro is an explosive, so maybe it can have some sort of laboratory theme? I don't know.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#2 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

The problem with Nitro is that its theme was changed VERY last minute. It was supposed to be themed to superman and have the name "Superman: Krypton Coaster". We know this because even to this day when the ride-ops bring up the computer first thing in the morning the first thing that comes up on the startup is "superman: Krypton coaster". This would explain Nitro' color scheme and its placement in movietown. Its believed that the last minute decision came from someone high-up in corporate who decided they didn't want all of the hyper-coasters in the northeast to be named superman. at the time 3 parks in the northeast had superman hypercoasters: SFA, SFDL and SFNE.

So any and all themeing to Nitro was just a last minute band-aid theme. I do agree with you but I think Nitro in itself has become a symbol in the coaster industry.....but simple things like bringing back the famous landmark heights up the lift-hill would be GREAT!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#3 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

We are so lucky Nitro wasn't named Superman:KC. Here's a tricky question if Nitro was Superman...then what would they name Superman come 2003?!?!?

I agree that Nitro is a unique and creative name and has def. made a name for itself in the coaster community til this very day! They could however add strobes to the station lighting and along the queue. Since the station is already a big rave party. :party0023:
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#4 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

They could probably have had 2 Superman coasters, since there are 2 Batman coasters at the park now.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#5 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

Superman:Krypton Coaster
Superman:Ultimate Flight
is different than
The Dark Knight
Batman: The Ride
Posted Image

#6 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

You could guess too.. possibly, the park was planning on a Flying coaster to be added to the park (AKA Superman) during that winter for a near future addition and figured they could sell the Superman name more on that rather then what is now Nitro. Just a thought..

#7 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Well, doesn't Nitro (with the name it has) sort of already seem to fit into Movietown. Nitro is an explosive material. Movies use nitro to blow things up. So in the long run, the name fits in. Yet, the whole track color and building and line queue doesn't see to fit into an explosive setting. So i would say we are thankful that we don't have two supermans to go along with two batmans (and if Superman: Krypton Coaster we would have the two supermans and batmans in one whole area), yet we aren't so happy that we have no themeing in Movietown, which for the most part has the best themeing (next to Golden Kingdom).
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#8 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Plaza Del Carnaval begs to differ.
Posted Image

#9 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Nitro doesn't need theming. It'd just be a wasted investment, spending money on a 9 year old coaster (I even had to think about that!) when you could use that money to spruce up other parts of the park, or in the best case scenario, add a flat or two.. or three. Preferably three.

Posted Image

#10 flyingcrayons

flyingcrayons

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

had six flags not thought nitro was appropriate they would have fixed it by now... as you said, it was a last second bandage type thing... and they had a whole year to think of a new theme, and build on the whole metal box thing... but the name nitro was so intense and the ride was so amazing, that it became a hit, and i think mgmt believed that changing the name would lead to bad press... so i think nitro is just fine as it is (a new paint scheme wouldnt hurt tho imo)

#11 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

Well last time Six Flags decided a ride's theme didn't fit was Medusa and look what we ended up with...
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#12 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

Well last time Six Flags decided a ride's theme didn't fit was Medusa and look what we ended up with...

HAHA

Well I agree. Nitro is well..Nitro, enough said. Kingda Ka may be the giant green one and El Toro may be the huge wooden one but Nitro is just NITRO! It's theme works because the ride makes up for it, it doesn't need anything to heighten the experience. If the ride did get anything I'd say a few strobes hidden in some fog out back in the park at the bottom of those hills. No on-ride audio (I'll give you some catchy audio in the station and queue if you must) nothing major. For those of you who like fire, that might be cool inside the helix but the ride speaks for its self. Most important, the ride's colors need to stay! It just wouldn't be Nitro if they repainted it any other colors it would just be weird. Oh, and deff add the signs back onto the lift.

#13 SFGAsue

SFGAsue

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Nitro is perfection. The ride, the station, the color - can't be improved upon. I wouldn't even want them to try anything (occasional paint job when needed - same color).

#14 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that at the station, the recording of the person who says the stats for Nitro says "Welcome to Nitro! Great Adventure's most EXPLOSIVE Roller Coaster!". as i said before, with the whole explosions and movies and Moivetown thing, Nitro some what has a theme.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#15 flyingcrayons

flyingcrayons

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

they should play to that theme though... i mean some fire or pyrotechnichs wouldnt hurt an already great ride...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users