74 replies to this topic

#61 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

You know, it would have originally fit in with MovieTown's theme. I read on the GAH forums it was apparently going to be: SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER. That would have tied in well with Movietown. I don't know what happened that they changed it, but that would have been a better theme IMO.

I really don't like that name, haha. Nitro is much cooler, but I doubt they would have themed Superman well either. Is Superman: Krypton Coaster at SFFT themed well?
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#62 Devins3

Devins3

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Personally I think that adding anything to Nitro would be very detrimental to the ride as a whole. The great thing about Nitro is going through the woods almost silently and having it be almost pitch black at night. Audio and fire would just be a distraction to the euphoria I feel while riding Nitro. That's just me though.
Posted Image
Nitro is the greatest ride ever.

#63 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Personally I think that adding anything to Nitro would be very detrimental to the ride as a whole. The great thing about Nitro is going through the woods almost silently and having it be almost pitch black at night. Audio and fire would just be a distraction to the euphoria I feel while riding Nitro. That's just me though.

We're not talking about adding stuff to the actual ride, all I meant was some queue line / station theming. I agree, one of the best parts of Nitro is going through the woods in the pitch black. Perhaps some suspensful music, some props, some Bizarro-style storyboard explaining what exactly Nitro is, something other than Snickers ads to keep you entertained while in line. Nitro has by far the most boring line in the entire park.
Posted Image

#64 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

IMO, sometimes you have to let coasters be coasters. Not every ride needs a storyline. Do you think people at Canada's Wonderland complain about Behemoth no having a storyline? No. Sometimes coasters don't need a theme
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#65 Finbow

Finbow

Batman #1

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

The only thing I could really think of would be something along the lines of the theming that Blue Fire Megacoaster has, which is from what I understand an Arctic base used for some chemical testing or something. It's very simple, yet immersive and provides an atmosphere for the ride.
"When the floor drops down, don't frown, because Batman is about to turn your world upside-down!"

#66 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Is it me, or does one of the parts of the lakes look all covered in moss and nasty grass stuff? Maybe cleaning that up would be nice.

We had issues with that in the pond behind our house. It was not as easy to fix as you would think and it took months.
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#67 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Is it me, or does one of the parts of the lakes look all covered in moss and nasty grass stuff? Maybe cleaning that up would be nice.

We had issues with that in the pond behind our house. It was not as easy to fix as you would think and it took months.

That's why we have something called an off-season.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#68 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

That's why we have something called an off-season.

Doesn't the lake freeze?
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#69 flyingcrayons

flyingcrayons

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

We're not talking about adding stuff to the actual ride, all I meant was some queue line / station theming. I agree, one of the best parts of Nitro is going through the woods in the pitch black. Perhaps some suspensful music, some props, some Bizarro-style storyboard explaining what exactly Nitro is, something other than Snickers ads to keep you entertained while in line. Nitro has by far the most boring line in the entire park.

it may have one of the most boring lines in the park, but really how often do you spend a lot of time in line for nitro? the lines are usually pretty short and even when they look long, it moves very quickly. i think maybe a little more theming in the station might help or a backstory, like finbow said about blue fire megacoaster, but really the amount of time spent in line on average doesnt justify adding a lot of theming imho.

#70 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

Since Nitro is a short distance from Looney Tunes Seaport, why not give Nitro a theme to Wile E. Coyote and the ACME company (the company that supplies the Coyote with all the guranteed to fail products in the cartoons). Replace the Nitro sign in front of the station with the ACME logo. Put a bunch of ACME products (i.e. Anvils, dyanamite, rocket shoes) around the queue. In the station, put some blueprints of the Coyote's plans to catch the Road Runner. As for the trains, repaint them to look like the red rocket that always appears in the Road Runner cartoons.
Posted Image
I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#71 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

Not everything has to be themed after a character... I like the Nitro name just because its original and no other parks have it. A lot of SF other parks have WIle Coyote/Road Runner coasters.

#72 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

Not everything has to be themed after a character... I like the Nitro name just because its original and no other parks have it. A lot of SF other parks have WIle Coyote/Road Runner coasters.

Including us, who has one about 120ft. from Nitro...
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#73 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

I like the Nitro name, too. But Nitro isn't really anything per say, like Batman is an escape vehicle or El Toro is a bull. I think they should make the coaster into something.
Posted Image

#74 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I can't believe this topic is still going strong some over 1 year later. Its like I said a year ago I really think nitro is great as is....its become a great symbol of just representing itself through the years. A name change to me is completely out of the question, a color-change to me is completely out of the question. (Although I do wish they would repaint BTR back to a blue or black color....2 yellow coasters side by side annoys me).

Nitro is a symbol in our park that stands out unlike any other coaster in our park! I know this is hard for many of you to grasp because most of you were very young at the time but before nitro Great Adventure among the coaster community was viewed as no bigger of a park than say Dorney Park. You know just a medium-league coaster park with nothing to really write home about. The addition of Nitro started getting the coaster communities' attention...you can see this in just how the rankings of nitro increased where in 2001 (its opening year) it only ranked 16th and then the very next year it ranked up into the top 5 because word got around and more people checked out our park. Nitro started that! Yes Kingda Ka and El Toro solidified us as an upper-echelon park standing with only the likes of Cedar Point and MM in the world....but it was nitro that started the attention.

I remember the coaster community backlash and prejudice against gadv which I still firmly believe exists and thats why I loved the additions of KK and El Toro because they concurred the two biggest things other people in the coaster community always talked down on Gadv about. Prior to 2004 it was always "psh yea but gadv can never build anything bigger than Nitro cause of the height restriction from the air force base" and "Gadv will never build an amazing woodie".....That shut them up!

But anyway my point is the attention was started by nitro and Nitro is the reason our park is where it is today....I'm not certain without the addition of Nitro and the attention and attendance we got after we would have KK and ET today! I love the nitro name because when you say "Nitro" to someone in the coaster community you need no description they know exactly what coaster you are talking about....very few coasters have that right! The only thing I'd ever like to see is Nitro's original themeing put back in place with the stats in the queue and the height markers on the lift. Because Nitro's theme to me is itself and that should never change!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#75 screaminkid2005

screaminkid2005

Flyers you have reached the top, 3,2,1 FLY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

I love Nitro! I would hate to see it destroyed by a re-theme! IMO just remove the rust and add the signs back and i'll be happy!
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users