33 replies to this topic

#16 dcs221

dcs221

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

Fairly certain a conversion from Standup to Floorless is not impossible, especially not because of "rider heartline". Nobody on any B&M rides exactly at the heartline given that it's in the center of the train and there are 2 seats on either side of it. Also, Chang has no real extreme banking maneuvers like an older style, quick rotating 0-g roll, so the heartline height difference isn't as significant as some other rides. Also, none of the forces are especially intense in relation to other rides like some Intamins. Changes in forces, therefore, would be relatively small, and insignificant because they would not put the force magnitudes over the top.

Do I think it will happen? I have no clue. They already have Bizarro, so personally I'd hope not...Chang is already very similar to Bizarro as is. Is it possible...pretty sure it is very possible.
Check out my newest No Limits recreation, Superman SFNE! http://nldc.interfix.net/p64

Roar at Six Flags America. Ride out Loud! http://nldc.interfix.net/p24

#17 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Dive and Toro are right, and I'll be the first to say it. We NEED flats, most likely more then any other park in the chain. SFNE, flats. SFA, flats. Great Escape, flats. La Ronde, flats. Those are the only parks I've been to outside of SFGA, but all of them have flats, where we do not.

I don't know if I misread this wrong or what, but all those parks you mentioned are the parks that have a decent amount of flats, if not the most. Just saying. Great Adventure and MM and the parks with the least which suck. I hate going to parks without flats.

Yea that is what I was trying to say. All those other parks have flats, while we are servilely lacking.

Sorry. Yeah I really misread that.

^The corkscrews would most likely end up being brutal if they converted it.

#18 ck495

ck495

didn't your dad ever teach you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

We need to re-open old Country.
Arms down head back hold on

#19 dcs221

dcs221

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Why would the corkscrews be brutal? I don't think you listened to anything I said. None of the riders on either style ride are at the heartline anyways, and the corkscrew shaping on Chang vs. Bizarro are very similar. Certainly more similar than variation in corkscrew shaping between say, Batman and Silver Bullet. The difference in heartline height is probably around a foot or less anyways.

Anyways if you still think what you said is the case, please try to back up your statement so I can see where you're coming from.
Check out my newest No Limits recreation, Superman SFNE! http://nldc.interfix.net/p64

#20 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

Ok, backing up my statement. Corkscrews are usually the roughest parts of any B&M since they throw you around. Where's you proof that the heartlining is similar on Bizarro to Chang. The trains are completely different therefore the heartline would be off. Why are we even discussing this? Its pointless. I don't even know why you brought it up in the first place.

#21 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

How about how different B&M ride types have different size. For example, Dive Machines have a HUGE track size, larger than any other track. It would be hard to resize the cars floorless cars to the track size
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#22 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

I'm realistic in thinking we would only get two flats. I would be happy if Tango reopened, a new Swing ride came, and Centrifuge returned from SFOG.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#23 dcs221

dcs221

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

It might be hard DiveMachine, assuming the track size is different, but it also might be that they'd have to change a couple dimensions on the chassis. Just as designing a completely new train was not impossible (flyer, dive machines, etc...all very different), modifying an existing design, something that happens all the time in engineering, is also not impossible.

Heartline height in No Limits goes through the approximate heartline of the riders, and their models are more accurate than your guesses can be. Even if the two individual heartline heights are off, they're off by the exact same value, meaning any "error" is insignificant. The difference in No Limits is .2m (about 8in), from 1.1m above the track line to 1.3m. Shorter rider heartline heights on standup coasters are already more than 8 inches lower than those of taller riders. If the corkscrews would be brutal with floorless train heightline height, then these shorter riders (usually kids) would get banged around terribly on Chang.

They don't, therefore what I'm saying is correct. Heartline height does not make a conversion between standup and floorless impossible.

#24 ElDusa

ElDusa

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

This heart-line topic is becoming too irrelevant, can you just let it go please. And according to the first thing you said, you made it seem like we would convert Chang to a floorless, which I couldn't make sense of since we already have Bizarro?

#25 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

That conversion theory was only good for installation at SFGAM. We know about our own park stats of already having the first floorless coaster in the world.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#26 dcs221

dcs221

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Right, I understand your point. I was just commenting on what someone said on the last page about it being impossible, because it's not. I'm done, though I expect to hear more from a certain member.

#27 Cruxis

Cruxis

Back by request of Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image
Ex-GA Employee - 2005-07
Skyide Assistant Lead-06
Skull Mountain, Batman: The Ride and Congo Rapids Lead- April 07 to July 18th 07
Want to know what rides I've worked or have questions about the department? Just ask! :)

Posted Image

#28 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'm realistic in thinking we would only get two flats. I would be happy if Tango reopened, a new Swing ride came, and Centrifuge returned from SFOG.

Just saying, it is not far-fetched to see Old Country's attractions be moved to a different part of the park... (as long as they didn't get to damaged when being neglected over the last few seasons). I mean, the Bumper Cars over at the large cement plaza in front of the Sky Way in Movie Town? It could work.

#29 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Some of flying Phil's photo's show the roof of Musik Express ripped greatly, which won't be a problem if they put it in a permanent building like I hope they do
Im hoping for 1 HUSS flat, but know its unlikely, due to HUSS ride costs. I think we will see our scrambler back, HOPEFULLY Old Country's return, a 6 flat package, and a dark ride(5d or simulator)
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#30 Cruxis

Cruxis

Back by request of Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

It's not to much either to hope for an S&S Power Tower or the Tornado they have at Hersheypark.

Posted Image
Ex-GA Employee - 2005-07
Skyide Assistant Lead-06
Skull Mountain, Batman: The Ride and Congo Rapids Lead- April 07 to July 18th 07
Want to know what rides I've worked or have questions about the department? Just ask! :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users