9 replies to this topic

#1 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Today in the park, the only sections with themed music are Golden Kingdom, Plaza del Carnaval, and sometimes Movietown. The other sections, all of them, have the same senseless pop music blasting in the backround. The other sections have great theming potentials which music could help, but of course there is just the same stupid music playing everywhere. Usually, it's not even good, and Tik Tok is NOT a family friendly song. I'm very sure that when GADV opened it had some themed music and I know Time Warner had music added to the park - why take it away?

Also - the ride ops many times ruin the theme of certain rides. B:TR is supposed to be a grim scenario, but people are telling me to enjoy my ride on this escape vehicle. And why would I "enjoy" running away from the Joker?? Let alone "enjoy" my "creepy" expedition in a haunted mountain or on a supernatural journey bringing Houdini back to life. Once, however, a ride op was doing a Shaggy and Scooby impression in Houdini's Great Escape, and in a very deep voice he said something really creepy that fit the theme. My opinion? That ride ops should completely stop talking except to say "dispatch" or in emergency situations. The ride ops would be replaced with recordings like most outside-of-Six-Flags parks have, to say the ride op-ish things except in a themed matter. Ride ops could play these instead of saying "enjoy your ride" on rides that, thematically, you aren't supposed to enjoy.

What do you think about it?
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#2 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Replacing Ride-Ops with recordings would take away the uniqueness of our park. They should be able to "put their own spin" on things.
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#3 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

Replacing Ride-Ops with recordings would take away the uniqueness of our park. They should be able to "put their own spin" on things.

Well, Disney does fine and they hardly let their ride ops talk. Perhaps ride ops would talk for rides like Nitro with no theme, but for the themed rides their speeches should at least go with the theme. Once again, I don't think I'm going to enjoy my ride on a subway car escaping from the Joker.
Posted Image

#4 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Today in the park, the only sections with themed music are Golden Kingdom, Plaza del Carnaval, and sometimes Movietown. The other sections, all of them, have the same senseless pop music blasting in the backround. The other sections have great theming potentials which music could help, but of course there is just the same stupid music playing everywhere. Usually, it's not even good, and Tik Tok is NOT a family friendly song. I'm very sure that when GADV opened it had some themed music and I know Time Warner had music added to the park - why take it away?

Also - the ride ops many times ruin the theme of certain rides. B:TR is supposed to be a grim scenario, but people are telling me to enjoy my ride on this escape vehicle. And why would I "enjoy" running away from the Joker?? Let alone "enjoy" my "creepy" expedition in a haunted mountain or on a supernatural journey bringing Houdini back to life. Once, however, a ride op was doing a Shaggy and Scooby impression in Houdini's Great Escape, and in a very deep voice he said something really creepy that fit the theme. My opinion? That ride ops should completely stop talking except to say "dispatch" or in emergency situations. The ride ops would be replaced with recordings like most outside-of-Six-Flags parks have, to say the ride op-ish things except in a themed matter. Ride ops could play these instead of saying "enjoy your ride" on rides that, thematically, you aren't supposed to enjoy.

What do you think about it?

I've always imagined it like this with recordings:
El Toro: "Your Bull is ready, matadors, let's not keep him waiting"
Bizarro: "Scientists, let's gets this experiment rolling"
Nitro: "oh, no, this isn't right! Let's stop the machine, NO, ITS TOO LATE!!!"
TDK: in between the station and lift "We got to get these guys out of here, HERE HE COMES!"
Superman: "The villians are destroying downtown Metropolis! You better stop them superman"
RMT: "Where is the train, going? It's running away!"
SM: "The king is buried in the middle if the mountain, go check it out"
B:TR: "HERE THEY COME! You've got to get out of here!"
RT: with sound effects of lightning and thunder: "Lightning thrashing, thunders crashing, Get out there and baton down the hatches!"
KK:launch noise: tiger roar
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#5 Cruxis

Cruxis

Back by request of Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I worked on Ka the year it opened... I thought a tiger roar would have been wicked.

As a former ride op, I thoroughly enjoy spieling and telling people on B:TR "Watch the floor cause when it sinks, you soar!" or my personal favorite, right as the floor is half way down "Holy dropping floors Batman! The train is leaving!" That and the "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah Dispatch!" (put the original Batman TV song here, it sounds great)

The thing though, the automated spiels cause a certain amount of... laziness I feel amongst the ride ops. Part of their job is to make sure the ride policies are being followed and after a while they start to rely too much on the recording. Hell, I loved having the Alfred voice at Batman and the recording at Skull... but I VERY rarely used either of them. I've found in my time that people are more likely to listen to an actual voice then a recording.
Ex-GA Employee - 2005-07
Skyide Assistant Lead-06
Skull Mountain, Batman: The Ride and Congo Rapids Lead- April 07 to July 18th 07
Want to know what rides I've worked or have questions about the department? Just ask! :)

Posted Image

#6 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

I was looking over at a Six Flags Great America website - and the original themed music that used to play in their park is back. I wonder if this is a Six Flags-wide change - or just their park? I personally hope we get themed music again - which leads me to this question - did the park used to have themed music?
Posted Image

#7 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Before Larry Litton got let go at SFNE, he mentioned that parks would be focused on more individually and they're needs would be met. I think this qualifies as that. GAm is themed beautifully and SF Radio ruins part of that.

#8 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm glad they are doing that!

If thats true, I can't wait for the future
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#9 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Great Adventure makes an effort with Frontier Adventure (playing pop country music), but if they really want to go the full nine yards they should play BANJO music, like Frontierland. They already play it in line for Saw Mill Log Flume, so I don't see what the big problem is. And it probably isn't copyrighted.

Fantasy Forest should have whimsical carousel-style music, and Boardwalk should have summer songs. Movietown should have ORCHESTRAL movie music, they're starting to play pop songs from movies, like the crappy new version of Fame and stuff from Rent. The kids areas already have themed music, and so do Golden Kingdom and Plaza del Carnaval, and I guess accoridan and flute music (nautical) for Lakefront. That's all the themed areas, right?

Oh, and Main Street could have big band music. OK, that's all of them.
Posted Image

#10 Mpr.

Mpr.

Trollercoaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Replace all the music with Ska! Imagine walking around the park and having non-stop ska!
Kidding of course.

They don't do a horrible job. There is spanish sounding music in PDC, African/Jungle music playing in GK, The Wiggles in WW and I do remember hearing quite a bit of thematic movie music in movie town. In line for El Toro, I don't always mind when they play Good Charolette and Jimmy Eat World, but I'd much rather they go back to the version of Hotel California they had a while back.

Also, putting theme music in EVERY section of the park would give more of an escape feel, rather than a "Theres rides here, go on them" feel. Six Flags has to choose if they want the park to be an escape from the rest of the world, or a place for people to hang out and go on rides. Cutting radio music from the park entirely and replacing it with instrumental peices or peices with vocals if it suits the area, would really make you feel more like you were in another world. GADV is already at an advantage for feeling like an escape. Its a park, in the middle of the woods, rivers and a giant lake. Up the theming a bit where its lacking, get rid of the giant open spaces where flats or themeing (The Giant Teepee) were, and add the themed music. Thats a rather cheep first step twards making the park feel more like an escape.

People could be amazed with how much music effects the sences. Watch a horror movie on mute, 9 out of 10 times, it wont be scary at all anymore.

-Stay Posi, Bro-

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users