9 replies to this topic

#1 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

I got one of the places in the Facebook contest, which really surprised me since I just threw in a dorky picture of me on The Dark Knight Coaster, but anyway I was invited to the ERT event, so I decided to go with my family. Since I'd never been in the Wild Safari before, we decided to go in and it was a blast. I wouldn't mind going through again since it's free with a season pass. The Safari is truly understated and I suggest it to anyone! The highlight of the ride is most definitely the giraffes, who aren't afraid to give your car a lick or two, and look in the windows. I also saw some sort of deer slash antelope blocking a car, which was pretty funny. The baboons were cool too, and I was thinking about how their loop is going to be the only thing left of Scream Machine soon. I saw one of the baboons sitting on top of the loop, he must of thought he was King of the World! So, on to the pictures.

Posted Image

Oops, well, I only got one picture. And from the picture, you can see where my mind was!

Posted Image

I got a never-before-seen view of Rolling Thunder and Kingda Ka from the Exploration Station parking lot... Rolling Thunder looks really cool back here! By the way, they were running only the other (right) side today, or at least towards the end of the day. You could see a lot of new wood on the ride. I truly hope that soon Rolling Thunder gets a complete revamp and some cool Flyer trains.

Posted Image

This has never been photographed before.

Posted Image

I truly wish they'd light this up. This side of the park is dead as it is, and this would breath "some" light into it.
Before I rode anything, my family ate at Mama Flora's. It was great! As of right now it's probably my favorite park food, I got one of those flat breads and it was delicious, nothing theme park-y about it except for the price.

Posted Image

Then it was time to ride on Snickers. Oh wait, that's Nitro??

Posted Image

Random pic of Panda Express taken from the Skyway line. How come there's always a line on Fantasy Forest's side, but not on Frontier Adventures?

Posted Image

Welcome to the Skyway, where you will traverse along many acres of beautiful.... sorry.

Posted Image

I spoke with Angel and she said that GASM starts deconstruction this morning.

Posted Image

There was a dolphin show going on, but I didn't see it.

Posted Image

Closer-up view of GASM

Posted Image

I'm so glad we have a Skyway. Please, never get rid of it.

Posted Image

Right now the Western section is a lot of cement, I think we need some more theming to anchor it, and a western-themed flat.

Posted Image

One of my favorite parts of this ride is the station - it just looks so cool. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Posted Image

What's this?? A line? Well, it's partially due to the ride closing but also due to the fact that in effect, they're only running one train with the double rides.

Posted Image

Can you see the green survey markings?

Posted Image

*tear*

Posted Image

The history of kiddie lands.

Posted Image

This has been here for a while, and this is the type of thing people compare to Busch Gardens and Disney's meticulous care.

Posted Image

Closer-up view of the markings. While looking around, I was thinking, this is one of those Six Flags-y coasters. Those cheapish things that they just threw wherever they fit, on a parking lot? Sure. Walking around on top of gravel isn't as pleasing as walking on grass, which is why I was glad they at least went that far with Superman (But Superman needs trees). Hopefully the new coaster will come with grass.

Posted Image

Waited in a relatively short line for the front row, and got a double ride. This was the start of my headache.

Posted Image

Cool part of the ride.

Posted Image

The ride is best if the brakes bring the car to a complete stop, so that you get some hang time on the batwing.

Posted Image

Some pics of the station.

Posted Image

OK, this was put up for the ERT event, which was pretty cool! They had free hot dogs, soda, and popcorn, and a band singing all their songs dedicated to GASM. I could see tears running down GASM's, err, trains.

Posted Image

Wheeeeeee! (The smoothest part of the ride)

Posted Image

A few last looks.

Posted Image

This was after my second-to-last ride.

Posted Image

The station looked really nice, even if it was mostly decorated with cheap-ish party style decorations.

Posted Image

It's too bad they couldn't take the ads of the train for the last day.

Posted Image

One of the last looks around the station and it's signage - I would have gotten a picture of the eagle, but it's being choked to death with an Axe Twist ad... great for Six Flags's most patriotic coaster!

Posted Image

This is my last picture of GASM..... and it's clear.

All-in-all, I felt great emotionally but not so great physically (I went home with a killer headache). I stayed until 11:00, and left the parking lot around the time the last train went around. I overheard a guy who bought the last two seats in the Cyber Cafe!

I'm just really happy that Six Flags didn't just throw this coaster in the trash can like they did with Chiller, even if it wasn't really their faults. If GASM were a person, he/she would be really happy. There was this feeling of family and love in the station with all the Facebookers and ACErs, and everyone came back cheering, even if they did have a few dents in their heads. I hadn't seen this many happy people around the ride since the video I saw from when the ride first came out. While I'm pretty sad and I will miss the ride dearly, it's time for it to go as it did give me a whoopin' every time I rode it.

Anyway, GASM was a very important part of Great Adventure, and I'm glad it got a pretty good send-off event. Thanks GASM, for everything.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#2 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Great update and photos. I'm gonna miss the old ride :(

-Dainan
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#3 Zack

Zack

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

Nice pictures, it's nice to see that Scream Machine actually got some attention for a day and that it had the closing that it deserved. I also can't believe that the planning for the new coaster and the deconstruction of GASM are beginning so early. You thank that, maybe for once, the new ride will open by opening day of next year? :o

#4 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

This PTR made News Plus Notes
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#5 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

^ Sweet! My Ghost Ship PTR got on Screamscape, too.
Posted Image

#6 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

I was looking at news plus notes and i saw a link to a PTR and it sent me here. congrats!

#7 JBE

JBE

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Great pictures. I especially like the sunset shots. I was also lucky enough to be there for the send-off, and I thought it was a nice event. Not too big, but enjoyable for what it was worth and a fitting send-off for an iconic coaster.

On a related note, if anyone wants to see footage from the send-off, I have a video on YouTube. This is RollingToro's PTR so I'm don't want to steal the spotlight, but if anyone is interested I can post a link where appropriate.

#8 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

I'd love to see it, send me a PM

#9 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

Great TR!

I bet waiting for double rides with 1 train took forever!
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#10 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Oh no, they were running both trains. But the thing that sucked was that they wouldn't open the airgates at all for the second time - that way it would be easier to keep track of the double rides. So sometimes you waited even though the people in the row you were waiting for couldn't bare to ride it again. The whole double ride thing was stupid. It's much faster and easier just to get in line again.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users