80 replies to this topic

#16 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

I went last year and was dissapointed. I saw like two costumed actors. I went with two girls ad they get scared pretty easily but never once did someone come up to us or anything. We headed into frontier land, which i expected to be crawling with creeps holding chainsaws and dragging shovels (since thats how is was the year before) and saw nothing.

#17 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

Just saying, anyone remember the glory days in the mid to late 90s? Early 2000s? Man, Fright Fest was AMAZING then.

#18 scaresfan

scaresfan

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I assumed that corporate was responsible for throttling back FF the past few years. Between cutting down the amount of haunts, and making the pathways way too wide to be scary (I'm so sorry to any of you who had to try to scare people while running a dozen feet just to get to the crowds), it's been at least decent the past two years (but nothing like the late 90's/2000s with Brutal Planet). The Hayrides unfortunately were pretty awful with really slow lines and terrible line jumping unless you spent the money on a Flash Pass. I have to admit they weren't that good after 2001. It just felt like a slow drive through the dark with very little scary. I will grant it was getting better during the last two that ran, but the slowness of everything was a huge issue to me.

I blame the Ghoul Repellents for most of my disappointment with the park through most of the 2000s. Nothing like seeing those kids all over the place stopping the ghouls from doing their job, and by telling people that they do not work for the mazes made things a lot better to me. I do hope that Dorney's Haunt helps to spur the competition a bit too. FF has some good things going for them, but it really has felt stale the past few years.

#19 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I understand that Six Flags wants their parks to be family friendly, but durring Fright Fest there can be an exception. Six Flags for the kids can be during the day or during the summer. There are plenty of kid friendly Halloween parks such as Hershey. They need to go back to the really scary Fright Fest of the late 90's and 2000's. In 2006 the Fright Fest decorations were really good.
Posted Image

#20 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

They could try what Dorney does but I don't think it will go over well with the GP. During the day, all rides are open and there are kid friendly events called Boo Blast. Then at 5:00 all kids areas shut down and they go into Haunt mode starting at 6:00 and they say no one under 13 should be there (they will allow kids under 13 but don't want them there), scare actors are all over the park, even some of the main midways are turned into Haunt zones, the music and shows are not kid friendly (uncensored music for example).

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#21 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I remember being sooo scared when I was younger back around 2001-02. The hayride was great, trails were nice, and there were lots of actors. Now there's no hayride, less trails, and fewer actors. It's a shame, but I can't see it changing anytime sone

#22 Jack

Jack

NEW YORK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

The sole fact that you have to PAY for the Terror Trails is disgusting. Dorney is allowed to do that, in which they clear the park out and have a separate Halloween event outside of the normal ride operating hours, because the level of haunts and theme. Six Flags, however, only has partial, and does not even come close. It's management being lazy, as it's something put together in the week before Fright Fest opens.

This Fright Fest, however, may be different. Who knows.
Posted Image
NEW YORK

Twitter @DJNunz

#23 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Dorney doesn't clear out the park, they just shut down the kids areas and some rides that are in the way of the Haunt attractions (like the Scrambler and sports cars) and it isn't a separate ticket event like at Knott's. If you go to the park during the day you can stay for Haunt without paying extra.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#24 Jack

Jack

NEW YORK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

Dorney doesn't clear out the park, they just shut down the kids areas and some rides that are in the way of the Haunt attractions (like the Scrambler and sports cars) and it isn't a separate ticket event like at Knott's. If you go to the park during the day you can stay for Haunt without paying extra.

Oh, I though the Haunt was a totally separate ticket. Are all the coasters still open?
Posted Image
NEW YORK

Twitter @DJNunz

#25 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Thunderhawk closes at 5 since it is in the way of one of the Haunt walkthroughs, all other coasters are open along with almost every other non kiddie ride.

With the way SF's new management seems to be watching money so carefully, I am not expecting them to get rid of the charge :(

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#26 njdevilsrock

njdevilsrock

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Little update about FF 2010, by the looks of it Escape From the Asylum (pretty sure that's the right name anyway) is beginning to get set up. If you look past the observatory you can see a stack of temporary chainlink fences like the ones that they use for the maze. I've never been in it but hope to this season, can anyone tell me how it is?

#27 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Im not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Ghoulmaster's Ghost show will now be in the Showcase Theatre.
Posted Image

#28 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

I enjoyed last year's Fright Fest (then again it was my first year)

Some highlights from last year
-LakeFront Graveyard was the best of the walkthroughs. Full of actors!
-Dead Man's Party blew me away. Simply amazing.
-There is so much more to do during FF. So many shows and trails.

Improvments
-Add a trail or 2 over on the west side. Carnival of Clowns 3D, Gloom by the Flume, and Bone Butcher Territory
-More Clowns!!!
-Decorate the entire park and have actors spread out around the park.
...and bring back TORCH!!!
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#29 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

If Ghoulmaster's Ghosts is in the Showcase Theater, does that mean there is no hypnosis show?

I have a feeling they are stepping up their game with Fright Fest this year, but I would assume the trail prices are gonna stay the same.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#30 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

I might come down to see GAdvs Fright Fest, since SFNE's has been a disappointment the past couple years. Each haunt is the same thing year after year and they don't bother to change it up so it gets a little boring, I need to see something new.

Does Deadmans Party live up to the hype?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users