33 replies to this topic

#1 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

So, rumor has it Mark Kane, along with Jay Thomas from Magic Mountain have been released from Six Flags Inc.

Anybody have any information confirming this? If so, this is a MAJOR LOW BLOW to the park. Mark did an awesome job!

#2 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Um, WTH? Thats TERRIBLE! Mark Kane and Shapiro worked well together and made Gadv, safer, cleaner, more family friendly and an overall better experience! Also, I'm REALLY angry because from what I've heard, Mark Kane really realized the potential in this park.

I don't like this one bit
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#3 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

I don't know who to blame, Weber, Reid-Anderson, SFI in general, us, or Shapiro. Something seems missing. Thomas, Kane, and Gilbert (GM, I believe, of SFDK) were all fired, Thomas made SFMM from a slum-like park to the West Coast Coaster Capitial, Kane made GADV clean, fresh, and what it is now (excluding all of the flat problems), and Gilbert put SFDK on the map, made them more than people would imagine from a small park like SFDK.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

I would love to hear the reasoning behind this...

Posted Image

#5 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

^Here's my theory on it. I'm basing it on speculation when SFNE's park president got let go.

Mark Kane and Shapiro worked well together....

Larry Litton was also really close to Shapiro. This is the reason I'm thinking. When Shapiro took over in '06 didn't he move Mark Kane from SFNE (which he did an outstanding job their BTW) to here and brought in Larry Litton from Elitch Gardens which had closed down. I believe Larry Litton was a friend or something in the food business and only worked as the GM at Elitch for a year, which is most likely why he was fired right away in June.

He also moved Jay Thomas from SFKK to SFMM. I don't know about Gilbert but it just seems like anyone thats close to Shapiro is being let go. When Shapiro took over did anyone else get shuffled around?

Mark Kane really turned GAdv around. He did a great job here and was nice and kind to everyone. Its sad to see him go.

#6 Coast

Coast

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

This is ridiculous. Both GM's from the two top parks? Wow.

On the same day Cedar Fair announces FOUR marquee attractions, Six Flags announces the firing of the GM's of the top two parks. Wow have the tides turned. After last week announcing major expansions in many parks, and then with last year adding three major new rides (i305, Intimidator, Shoot the Rapids), Cedar Fair is flat out embarrassing Six Flags. The chain is spiraling to a downfall.

I LOVE Great Adventure and hope to see it continue to see success despite the chain's failures. Mark Kane turned Great Adventure around and he will be missed.
Posted Image
Coastin' East Owner, Host, Producer
CoastinEast.com

#7 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

So is it safe to say Gadv will turn back into that dump we saw back in the early 2000's? :confused0024:
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#8 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

They're the only two guys from the chain I knew currently that were involved with addressing the forum crowds. I'm upset if it's true they're gone.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#9 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

That came out of nowhere and with no clear reasoning...

I wonder whose decision this was.

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

So is it safe to say Gadv will turn back into that dump we saw back in the early 2000's? :confused0024:

I hope not, and I really don't want to see the park run like the Paramount parks were run. My trips to King's Dominion were so bad in the late 90's and in 2003 I haven't been back.

I'm not sure whose decision it was to run multiple trains on the rides but if it was Mark Kane's decision to almost always run 3 trains on Nitro for example, I hope they don't decide to change that.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#11 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

The supposed new GM, John Fitzgerald is from Freestyle Music park. Umm. Does the new board want Six Flags to fail. For Discovery Kingdom is a former Hard Rock Park person and GM of Canada's Wonderland. That makes since with Canada's Wonderland but whats with the Freestyle Music Park and HRP ties?

#12 fuzzyfuzzy01

fuzzyfuzzy01

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

This better not be true evrey time I go to the park I see him walking arond greating guest making sure there haveing a good day.

• Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

It's definitely true.

#14 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

For the people who are saying GADV is going to turn back into a dump, calm the heck down. We don't know that's true.

Fitzgerald ran a good park. Hard Rock Park was unique. It just turned out that the park wasn't that good with money - but we don't have to worry about that, because we have Weber working on that. Weber has promised to keep all of Shpairo's changes for the positive. I'm sure it will stay that way.

Look on the bright side - maybe we'll get a drop tower now.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#15 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Now the rumor is Jay Thomas got moved to the corporate office in Texas, probably the same thing happened with Mark Kane. Thats good is that actually happened.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users