This is on asbury park press. http://www.app.com/a...Great-Adventure

#17 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

I would love to hear the reasoning behind this...

I would too. Mark was doing an excellent job. I've talked to him while I was roaming the park and he asked my input about the park. I didn't tell him I was an enthuiast, he was very commited to the park.

So here's Weber's thought: let's replace the park president who brought guest satisfaction to unseen levels for Gadv and replace him with the park president of the bankrupt Freestyle Music Park. Oh, goody...
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#18 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm kinda scared why no one said this question yet: Who are the replacements?
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#19 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

John Fitzgerald, a 28 year theme park veteran, the same guy who ran freestyle music park, the bankrupt freestyle music park
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#20 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

You do realize that FMP only failed because of the location though. The park itself was great. If the rumors are true of the three of them moving up to corporate then that means the whole company can benefit from they're great work.

#21 PAPD37

PAPD37

Batman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

^ I am hoping all 3 great men moved up, they should they are SF'S best and should be used at that level to have SFI reach it's max. I dont know much about freestone music park, however i doubt that it was anyone person's fault.
Posted Image

In memory of the 37 Brave Men and Women of the Port Authority Police Dept of NY and NJ who gave there lives on 9-11. It is cause of you, in the darkest hour of our country, we saw the lightest hour. May god bless you. RIP PAPD37

#22 nitrofan

nitrofan

Nitrofan Admits: El Toro > Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

For the people who are saying GADV is going to turn back into a dump, calm the heck down. We don't know that's true.

Fitzgerald ran a good park. Hard Rock Park was unique. It just turned out that the park wasn't that good with money - but we don't have to worry about that, because we have Weber working on that. Weber has promised to keep all of Shpairo's changes for the positive. I'm sure it will stay that way.

Look on the bright side - maybe we'll get a drop tower now.

Hard Rock Park was well-run on the theme park side of things. My concern is that Paramount Parks were not. (At least, IMO. They get very mixed reviews.)
Posted Image
Click My Signature

#23 in4nolink

in4nolink

el force

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

So disgusted with such taste, i rather experience thrust on my tongue. Mark Kane, as a near by Hazelton resident, I simply give you thumbs up. Im talking about Kingda Ka up. Good job with turning the park as it is. This fan boy embraces and respects what you've done drastically to change the park around. Thank You for working wonders and hopefully the company isn't foolish enough to waste such good talents

Please for the love of god fix this post.

-Dan

Edited by Dan, 27 August 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#24 SFGAsue

SFGAsue

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I feel really bad about this (holding back tears, seriously). Mark always made time for us - it was like we actually mattered to him. He did a fabulous job with the park AND was such a great people-person. I can only hope he has gotten a better position somewhere and is happy. Mark, if you're reading this YOU WILL BE SERIOUSLY MISSED AND YOU ARE WISHED THE VERY BEST OF EVERYTHING. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR GADV.

#25 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

I have been taking a much bigger step-back as far as these forums go now that I am at Ole Miss and pursuing my Engineering degree....but when I read this today on screamscape I nearly vomitted and felt the need to reply. I can only hope that these rumors that Mark Kane has moved up to the corporate offices are true.....however the suddeness of this all and the fact that the APP didn't mention what happened to Mark makes me think otherwise. Mark changed our park for the better I know many of our young members don't remember the late 90's and early 2000's but garbage was everywhere! Anybody who does remember these days and Sue I'm sure you can vouch for this as well would remember the "gum tree". There was a tree in the queue of Congo rapids that had literally collected sooo much gum it looked like it was meant to be that way! Cigarette butts were everywhere, trash cans were too few and far between, and when you did find them they were usually ugly looking, rusted and overflowing. Staff was not nearly as friendly as they are now....I had an issue in '98 where I was leaving the park 10 minutes to closing and literally EVERY bathroom except the one at the entrance was already closed for cleaning and the person cleaning at every bathroom was VERY rude about letting you know it was closed. Line-cutting was digustingly normal and security was never around nor cared to remedy the problem. Security felt like they owned the place....during a fright fest in 2001 my group got cut by another group....they literally just cut us and nobody else. Well my ex-gf wasn't having any of that and basically got into an arguement with them until the point that the kid revealed his SF security badge and said "This gives me the right to be ahead of you" (he was off-duty just their to have fun). We called over security (management security none the less) who basically stood behind what the kid did and told us "it was handled". How exactly had it been handled? The kid's group is still ahead of us! Lines for guest relations at the end of the day were ridiculous you'd think it was a line for a coaster.....I kid you not and all of those people were complaining!

This is what Mark himself was directly responsible for changing....its something I never thought I'd see at our park to be honest! Its that simple customer service aspect of the business that in fact just about every business (theme park or not theme park) in the country has lost focus on (including Disney to an extent) and is just now in the last few years trying to bring back again. Customer service no matter what business you are....and I literally mean EVERY business....should ALWAYS be the number one priority next to safety of course. But no one did such a great job bringing back good customer service like Mark Kane did at Great Adventure. And I truly believe the number one reason why he was able to do it so well was his great initiative to lead by example. It says a lot to an employee when your boss is walking around the park picking up trash and making a point to address the guests. So Mark on the off-chance you happen to be reading this I thank you so very much for bringing back such a great atmosphere to my beloved park and I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors however I know you don't need my luck because your destined to do well wherever it is you go.

That being said Weber is really really killing me here. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt for awhile because I feel everyone should be given a chance to make light of their plans...and those take awhile to pan out at least two years IMO before I truly express my opinion on how they are doing. But I believe there are certain changes that shouldn't be made on a wim and I just really feel there have been two major changes that he has made in his 3 month reign that should've been given a lot more though. This is one of those and I still just don't see the logic in firing a guy who has done nothing but good for what he was directly responsible for and replace him with someone whom ran a promising park that ran itself into the ground in just two years! This just makes NO SENSE! What has Fitzgerald showcased to be able to prove he can operate the flagship park of SFI better than Mark Kane?!!! It worries me very much so I like the fact that Fitzgerald started his career here....but I still just do not believe he has showcased enough to get this calling!

The second was the decision to dismantle Great American Scream Machine. He had to make this decision no more than 2 weeks into his position! I understand the fact that he had to make a quick decision because progress had to start being made and I completely agree with his decision to cancel the 5D ride (trust me we didn't need another upcharge that was a terrible idea). I get the business decision to give us chang....that just makes the most sense! The idea of putting it at SFGAm never made sense from the get-go! Why are you going to give a park that already has a B&M stand-up....another B&M stand-up :huh: . So I get that and while I'm not overly crazy nor overly upset about getting chang I see why it was done from a business stand point and I completely believe it was 100% the right business decision to move chang here......

.....however, and here is where it gets choppy. I'm tired of hearing this statement, especially from my fellow members here "Well they had to do it you know they tried to fit it over by congo rapids but it would've cost too much money for the tree removal so it sucks but this was the cheapest option"....anyone here who believes that I ask you to please stop drinking the Weber Kool-aid cause your buying right into his hands.

(take this as if I'm directing it at Al Weber) I get that the congo rapids area would've cost too much, however don't insult my intelligence by trying to tell me that your cheapest option was to tear-down GASM. That is simply a lie. NEWSFLASH: Just 4 years ago Jackson planning board already approved the entire parking lot RIGHT NEXT to GASM, KK and SUF to be made into a hotel. The project got cancelled when red zone took-over but the fact remains you want me to believe that the cheapest option was to cart away the steel of GASM when in fact you had an entire parking lot you could've built chang on?! Not to mention the brake-run, station and lift-hill are all being built on said-parking lot and to get this approved by the board you brought up the fact that they had already previously approved for the entire parking lot to be used for the hotel.....so YOU KNEW THAT WAS AN OPTION!

Now don't get me wrong I don't think Weber tore down GASM just to tear-down GASM so let me present to you all my truth on this matter: The truth I believe is that while I am correct that the cheapest course of action was to physically build Chang entirely on said-parking lot Weber saw the potential to make some more money on this deal....how? By tearing down GASM and having it sold for scrap metal while also saving reusable parts and shipping them to SFMM to be used for later replacements and maintenance of Viper. The fact is thats the only reason that makes sense as to why they wouldn't have pursued building chang entirely on the parking lot. Its sad but GASM was torn down not because it had to be but because it was a way to bring in some more money!

That being said whats done is done and these are two changes that can not be taken back I can only hope that Weber has a good plan in action but just remember Weber's goal here is to post good numbers for the stockholders....however many times, especially in the theme park business, what works to make the stockholders happy in the short-run is not always good for the company in the long-run. Sorry for the rant I'll go back to disappearing again now :P
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#26 SFGAsue

SFGAsue

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

^I do remember the gum tree (so gross)! I also remember one October, leaves and garbage so thick you couldn't see the walk-way. It was such a mess. Our park is balancing precariously on the fence right now and it's darn pretty scary. Thanks for returning to post!

#27 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

The park was so bad during that time that after some bad trips in the late 90's and early 2000's I stayed away in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. I was so impressed with the park in 2007, that's what made me decide to get a pass in 2008.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#28 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

The 'Scape said this new guy got his start here at SFGADV. It might ease the fear I felt when I heard he was at FMP before.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#29 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

^That seems to be the trend with the new park presidents. Jason Freeman, the new one at SFNE was their in management when it was Riverside but left when SF took over. The new park president for SFMM was there up until 2007 but now she's back. And now we know that John Fitzgerald used to work at the park. What about the new one at SFDK? Its good that they are already familiar with the park.

#30 Zack

Zack

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

It's also a shame that all of those small things that Mark improved upon (garbage cans, tidyness, etc.) are taken for granted by the general public and they just seem distracted by roller coasters and other rides. Fitzgerald had better take some advice from Kane's years and experience at the park to find a happy balance between entertainment, cleanliness, and overall guest satisfaction.

Mr. Kane, our hats go off to you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users