Kingda Ka Sets Last Milestone...Bests Magnum

10 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

I'm usually on top of these things so I apologize for not posting sooner. Although originally it was not suppose to happen because of Nurburgring's "ring racer"....Kingda Ka has managed to maintain tallest and fastest coaster status due to the fact that ring racer even to this day has failed to reach full speed! Because of this on June 12th, 2010 Kingda Ka has officially surpassed the reign of every other previous tallest and fastest roller coaster dating all the way back to the first hyper-coaster Magnum XL-200 when height and speed became the important factors. The previous longest reigning tallest and fastest coaster was in fact Magnum XL-200 whom held it for 5 years 22 days. Kingda Ka reached 5 years 23 days as reigning tallest and fastest roller coaster on 06/12/10. It is now the new marker for longest reigning tallest and fastest roller coasters and proves that SFI management at the time (Premier parks lead by CEO Kierian Burke) picked the perfect time to pounce and build KK.

Though KK will lose its fastest coaster title soon as long as the Ferrari world park opens as planned on 10/28/10 where they are boasting to open "Formula Rossa" which they say will reach a top speed of 149 mph! However, KK will still continue to hold on to the tallest coaster record. Congrats Ka and may you remain the tallest for quite some more time ;). Below I have spent the time to work out for you all the longest tallest and fastest coaster reigns in order since Magnum....KK's reign is assuming Ferrari world opens on time and that Nurburgring doesn't get ring racer to full speed prior to then. Keep in mind that there were instances where the tallest coaster and the fastest coaster were two different coasters and that is why you see gaps if you try to connect the timeline....in fact I'll even put a list below this one of those instances where the records were split for your interest ;)

Longest reigns of tallest and fastest roller coasters:

1. Kingda Ka ----------- Six Flags Great Adventure - 456' 128 mph - 05/21/05 - 5 years 5 months 07 days
2. Magnum XL 200 ------- Cedar Point --------------- 205' 072 mph - 05/06/89 - 5 years 0 months 22 days
3. Fujiyama ------------ Fuji Q Highland ----------- 259' 081 mph - 07/??/96 - 3 years 7 months 00 days*
4. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point --------------- 420' 120 mph - 05/04/03 - 2 years 0 months 17 days
5. Steel Dragon 2000 --- Nagashima Spa Land -------- 318' 095 mph - 07/30/00 - 1 years 4 months 21 days
6. Pepsi Max Big One --- Blackpool Pleasure Beach -- 213' 074 mph - 05/28/94 - 0 years 4 months 00 days*
7. Millenium Force ----- Cedar Point --------------- 310' 093 mph - 05/13/00 - 0 years 2 months 19 days

* These dates were approximated and not exact because Fujiyama's exact opening day is unknown and Desperado's opening is only known as late 1994 it took the fastest record away from Pepsi Max Big One

Split records:

1. Late 1994 - July 1996 Pepsi Max Big One held tallest coaster record, Desperado held fastest coaster title @ 80mph
2. 02/11/00 - 05/13/00 Fujiyama held tallest coaster record, Goliath @ SFMM held fastest coaster record @ 85 mph
3. 12/21/01 - 05/04/03 Steel Dragon 2000 held tallest coaster record, Dodonpa held fastest coaster record @ 106.9 mph
4. 10/28/10 - ???????? Kingda Ka will hold tallest coaster record, Formula Rossa will hold fastest coaster record @ 149mph

**Due to the roller coaster vs. ride controversy Superman: The escape is not listed
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

I don't see Ferrari World lasting 5 years so maybe KK will keep the record but I guess even if the park doesn't make it, the ride could be relocated.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Yay!
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#4 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

Wow. Awesome!

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#5 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

Yeesh, we've had Ka 5 years? Time flies...

Posted Image

#6 pashacar

pashacar

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

It is now the new marker for longest reigning tallest and fastest roller coasters and proves that SFI management at the time (Premier parks lead by CEO Kierian Burke) picked the perfect time to pounce and build KK.

Does it, or does it say just the opposite? The fact that another coaster hasn't been built to top it in that long arguably proves that they chose to plunk down a huge amount of money on KK at a time when coaster wars over height and speed were more irrelevant than ever. I won't say that I entirely agree with this, but I think it's worthy to play devil's advocate, especially since there are many out there who think KK was a big mistake on SFI's part.

#7 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Now let's see it beat American Eagle. Only four more years to go! I think it'll be a while before the height record is broken. Right now, a tallest coaster would be expensive, and it would be a one-trick-pony (and expensive), like so many say about TTD and KK. I don't know if our technology can hit > 500 ft, but maybe in the eyes of parks, until that height is possible, a new tallest coaster is worthless. My 2 cents.

#8 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'd say that KK was a good move on SF's end. I think the Premier era was heading in the right direction. Maybe their execution wasn't perfect, pushing the park into debt, but their mind was in the right direction. Which coasters does the GP talk about when they about GADV? KK, El Toro, and Nitro are probably what comes up the most, oh and S:UF is another favorite. Notice all of which are from Premier. They gave us the rides which has pushed our park into becoming the powerhouse it is known for. Can you imagine how our park would be if all we got were tiny coasters from Shapiro. A park would be no where near to how amazing it is today. Yes I'll say Premier wasn't very careful with budget but you gotta spend some to get some. They dropped some heavy cash and now after nearly 10 years Nitro still keeps the clicks coming. KK as much as it cost, still have people coming to GADV just to ride it. EL Toro is still raved about after 5 years. Does anyone talk about the DK or Bizarro, not that they're bad, but they aren't the rides the GP flock too. They may keep guests in the park but the rides from the Premier Era are the ones that get them through the turnstyles.

#9 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

I'm so grateful that Nitro, El Toro, and Ka were built. Gadv would not be the same with Medusa, Chiller (without the top 3, i doubt they would've taken it out), Batman, and Superman. No park in the world can say they have a Top Tier Steel AND Wooden coaster. Nitro and El Toro make the perfect line-up.
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#10 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

For the record Premier built medusa as well.....Chiller was the last WB installation ;)
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#11 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Proves my point even more because I must say, Medusa is one of my all time favorites.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users