#1 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

SOURCE: http://www.app.com/a...-roller-coaster

JACKSON — Six Flags Great Adventure plans to add a new, 15-story roller coaster to its stable of thrill rides.

The new ride will be named Green Lantern, after the DC Comics superhero, and will be the 12th roller coaster featured at the park, park officials said Wednesday.

The theme park plans on a public unveiling of Green Lantern in the spring, according to spokeswoman Angel Aristone. The opening of the coaster also will coincide with the release of a motion picture based on the Green Lantern comic book character.

Designing the structure will be the Swiss-based company Bolliger & Mabillard, an engineering consulting firm that specializes in coaster construction.

Bolliger & Mabillard also is responsible for designing roller coasters such as Nitro, Bizarro, Superman-Ultimate Flight and Batman the Ride … all featured attractions at Great Adventure, park president John Fitzgerald said.

"Six Flags is home to many of the biggest roller coasters in the world, and Green Lantern brings an all new dimension of thrills,'' Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Officials said Green Lantern will stand 154 feet tall and reach speeds of up to 63 mph.

The newest coaster will offer a 2 minute ride and will begin with a 45-degree vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions … including a 121-foot-tall loop, a 103-foot dive loop and a 72-foot inclined loop.

Six Flags Great Adventure is home to Kingda Ka, considered the tallest and one of the fastest coasters in the world.

Green Lantern will be located in the boardwalk section of the theme park, Aristone said.

Use this topic to discuss anything and everything dealing with the new, 2011 roller coaster: Chang Green Lantern!

#2 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

FIRST!

Although sad it isn't Storm Surge or Jersey Devil, Green Lantern rolls off the tounge. It has an amazing fan base already so the ride will be a hit from the start. I'm excited to see how well they theme it. I want Green smoke six flags!
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#3 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

Im alittle scared they named it Green Lantern. What happens if this movie bombs like other superhero movies??? Dont you think you name a ride after a great movie first? Dont get me wrong; I like the name but can you name a ride that was named before the movie out 1st???? And was a big hit? Plus didf Six Flags make the official anouncement yet??? If not, what are they waiting for??? SPRING???
rjl

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:52 PM

Boooo. Boardwalk is going to need to be rethemed. Two superhero themed coasters side-by-side in a section that has nothing to do with superheroes? Yeah, sounds like Six Flags.

I just hope the flats are announced tomorrow :)

Edit: Oh, and it's coaster 13, not 12.

Posted Image

#5 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Notice the article says absolutely nothing about it being a stand-up roller coaster :rolleyes:

-Dainan
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#6 PKIDelirium

PKIDelirium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Am I the only one annoyed that they're passing it off as a brand new coaster?

Especially this line...

Designing the structure will be the Swiss-based company Bolliger & Mabillard, an engineering consulting firm that specializes in coaster construction.

#7 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:33 AM

45 degree vertical drop? Sounds so...lame haha.

#8 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

GADV Master

• Owner/Operator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

Im alittle scared they named it Green Lantern. What happens if this movie bombs like other superhero movies??? Dont you think you name a ride after a great movie first? Dont get me wrong; I like the name but can you name a ride that was named before the movie out 1st???? And was a big hit? Plus didf Six Flags make the official anouncement yet??? If not, what are they waiting for??? SPRING???

Really? Green Lantern is a familiar super hero to the average person... so even if the movie sucks, people will still know the name from it's once popular comics and other movies.

#9 PAPD37

PAPD37

Batman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:36 AM

Anyone else find it funny and starange we have Batman and TDK on the east, we now have Superman and Green Lattern in the middle section, and Bizzaro all the way on the west? Yeah thats really orgizined with DC Comics.
Posted Image

In memory of the 37 Brave Men and Women of the Port Authority Police Dept of NY and NJ who gave there lives on 9-11. It is cause of you, in the darkest hour of our country, we saw the lightest hour. May god bless you. RIP PAPD37

#10 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

Bizarro is the opposite of Superman, thus opposite side of the park could work in that case.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#11 PAPD37

PAPD37

Batman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Yes, but how do we explain Batman and TDK then?
Posted Image

In memory of the 37 Brave Men and Women of the Port Authority Police Dept of NY and NJ who gave there lives on 9-11. It is cause of you, in the darkest hour of our country, we saw the lightest hour. May god bless you. RIP PAPD37

#12 JBE

JBE

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

The ride video has been posted on Great Adventure's website: http://www.sixflags....eenlantern.aspx

It's just a No Limits video. Green with black supports, as many suspected it would be. The sim does include a couple of tunnels and the entry/exit paths are clearly there. Otherwise, no objects or other theming stand out, at least from this video. Given that the tunnels are there and that on-ride effects, theming, etc. would usually be a selling point in an announcement, I'm not too optimistic right now for much theming.

#13 1986stang

1986stang

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Notice the article says absolutely nothing about it being a stand-up roller coaster :rolleyes:

-Dainan

it does in the six flags article....

GREEN LANTERN is guaranteed to deliver a smooth, white-knuckled adventure but this time standing up while upside down!

#14 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

-Dainan

it does in the six flags article....

GREEN LANTERN is guaranteed to deliver a smooth, white-knuckled adventure but this time standing up while upside down!

Oh, I knew SF would say it! According to the video, this coaster will be the first coaster in Great Adventure's History to have a tunnel! :jumping0032:
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#15 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

According to the video, this coaster will be the first coaster in Great Adventure's History to have a tunnel! :jumping0032:

:jumping0032: :rainbowbanana: :yay: :chat: :drunk: :piano: :banana: :banana2: :cool0012:

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users