862 replies to this topic

#841 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

If this was redzone we would have the billboards in the line and they wouldve called it a day

lol, if this was redzone it would be sitting in Gurnee with billboards, and we would have GASM and Earth City :sick0025:
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#842 lil jimmy norton

lil jimmy norton

GADV Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I rode it yesterday, an I have to say, I can now understand why they don't make stand-ups anymore. My head was pounding for the rest of the day. I only rode it once, and in the last row, so I might have a different opinion if I ride towards the front of the train.
My dog is destroying my life.

#843 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

^like many others have said i consider the stand up a fad that had its 15 minutes of fame but has long worn out. Even during ERT at the media event two rides was about two rides too many for me. I would never wait for this thing unless maybe it was walk on....but if you asked me what would i be more willing to ride a walk on green lantern or a walk on gasm....the answer is gasm by A LOT!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#844 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

All we need now is to have "Green Lantern #1, Green Lantern #1, Green Lantern #1".

#845 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Although I'm pleased they're making an effort to add more, I wish more was done with with the old queue house, the switchbacks and the station itself.

What I feel that they should've done is enclosed the old queue house and made and themed it after Hal Jordan's flight headquarters, much like the old Right Stuff queue used to be like and have schematics and blueprints along with a flight control room in which either a preshow or clips from the movie could be played. Then you exit out into the testing area and see the jet and have a sign saying "Test pilots only beyond this point" and have a security building or hut with a raised gate. You walk past fuel tanks and flight gear and near the station, you walk past a wrecked spaceship with an open door and a prop inside that says "The ring has chosen you, make your way to Oa"

In the second switchback in the gate you could have also enclosed it and gave it a fake rockwork exterior like Skull Mountain to make it resemble the GL corps headquarters on OA, where the oath plays, the rings being forged, and a statue of the guardians or even a simple animatronic explains to you your duties when the room's lights begin to flash and turn to yellow and you are instructed to face a great evil, exiting through a rock corridor to the Corps meeting room (the station) where Lanterns are assembling to make a stand against Parallax.

The station would also be enclosed (I'm not a fan of open air ones, especially the one they made) and have power batterys by the walls and either statues of famous Lanterns or screens with them talking on the plan of attack. If it is the statues, a light would be over each one and recorded dialogue will go off as each statue lights up and would intertwine ride safety procedures with the battle plan (i.e. Your ring grants you the ability to fly, use this to your advantage and hold on tightly if you decide to loop around the enemy quickly to gain an advantage.)The screens could serve the same purpose as a bank of control panels with each Lantern's name underneath. Before the train dispatches, Some pressurized fog could go off and yellow lights flash as you go off to defeat Parallax. Going up the lift you can hear the fight begin on speakers mounted to the side.

Down the drop, you would enter into the mouth of Parallax and into small tunnel with fog/effects. Around the dive loop and the incline loop, there would be compressed air cannons and flame cannons to help simulate the battle. More speakers on the MCBR let you hear Hal yell "it's escaping to Earth" and one of the corkscrews would have a destroyed train, bus, or building with Parallax coming through it and lights and compressed air hitting the train and the other one (painted yellow like it was) would have Hal with one of his ring creations lighting up with fire or strobes as he defeats Parallax. You pull into the brake run with Green LED strips or lights running along the side of the walls and the GL oath playing and the Guardians congratulating you on your victory and for standing up to the great evil.

I know that was long and really far fetched, but it would be totally awesome if it turned out like this. Of course, this would add about another few million in costs to construction and design but it'd be totally worth it.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#846 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

That sounds... simply. Amazing. That is definitely what they should of done.

#847 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

^ I wish that could happen too but we have to be realistic. Were never gonna get themeing like were Disney, Universal or even Busch Gardens. This is Six Flags the best attempt at themeing they ever made was TDK...and how did that turn out? Rockwork costs MAJOR moolah its not a cheap thing to say...hey why don't we have an enclosed rockwork building. All-in-all what you said was great but your talking themeing thats stretching into the 10 million dollar range. I mean you look at rides like Everest and spiderman and the soon to be cars attraction at California adventure. All of those attractions cost well over $100 million dollars....and the vast majority of that is themeing expense NOT the ride itself. I mean $100 million is about the budget gadv has for future attractions over a 10 year period not one year.

I feel like with the money they have to spend their doing a great job and would love to see it continue!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#848 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Yeah I know, that's why I say it's too far fetched for us to even consider. To me, a few million is in the 7-10 Million range so there's really no way I see that happening any time soon.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#849 Airkilla09

Airkilla09

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

^like many others have said i consider the stand up a fad that had its 15 minutes of fame but has long worn out. Even during ERT at the media event two rides was about two rides too many for me. I would never wait for this thing unless maybe it was walk on....but if you asked me what would i be more willing to ride a walk on green lantern or a walk on gasm....the answer is gasm by A LOT!

Im sure there is a very good reason that Chang was not operating for more than a yr at Kentucky and just standing there, and I think it has to do with people not wanting to ride it.

As for a previous post about your head hurting after this ride for the rest of the say, how about your manhood, this ride should be called the Green Lantern Breaks Balls.

#850 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

^ Was chang SBNO for the last year before it was removed?! I havnt heard that....I know it was removed a year before SF cut KK from their parks....but that was because they wanted to make sure they kept it and had to in essence sneak it out without the local government realizing they were taking it because they were giving up the park. But the government still caught on and SF had to come up with this whole faked expansion plan of KK's water park to justify taking out chang. I find the sneaky circumstances surrounding the removal of chang extremely interesting :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#851 Airkilla09

Airkilla09

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Well according to Rcdb.com it was closed in 2009 due to SFKK being closed. So it was SBNO for the 2010 season under which the original owner Ed Hart operated the park. So i guess it was kind of sneaky. But why would six flags do that? So that they can keep the ride? but make money on the sale of the park?

#852 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

I also think the "water park expansion" was very sneaky, but funny and interesting at the same time.
Great ideas, Christian! Maybe they'll hire you as an Imagineer ..... er, SixFlagsineer.....
I love the Parallax theming. That's pretty cool.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#853 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Well according to Rcdb.com it was closed in 2009 due to SFKK being closed. So it was SBNO for the 2010 season under which the original owner Ed Hart operated the park. So i guess it was kind of sneaky. But why would six flags do that? So that they can keep the ride? but make money on the sale of the park?

hahahahaha NO NO NO!

Chang was closed in the early season of 2009 and removed from the park COMPLETELY before the end of summer 2009. The whole time SF kept saying it was cause they were "planning an expansion of the SFKK water park". They moved all pieces of chang off-site and to storage at SFGam and as soon as the last piece of chang was off SFKK property all of a sudden SF released a statement saying they were not going to resign their lease for the SFKK property :lol: . Chang sat in storage for a good year and a half in pieces at SFGam....not SBNO ;)

I also think the "water park expansion" was very sneaky, but funny and interesting at the same time.
Great ideas, Christian! Maybe they'll hire you as an Imagineer ..... er, SixFlagsineer.....
I love the Parallax theming. That's pretty cool.

^ Well yea but thats part of the sneaky chang removal. SF had a clause in their lease agreement that said they could not remove any of SFKKs major assets without adding something of major value. When they started removing chang the Louisville city governement demanded to hear what was replacing it...so SF created a whole fake water park expansion plan just to get chang off the property :LMAO:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#854 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

They removed it in September '09 then it was moved into storage (to get refurbed and painted) It was intended to go to GAm but plans changed and it came to GAdv. It wasn't closed all of 2009, like I said, the last operating day was in the middle of September. It wasn't SBNO since it wasn't standing. :P

And the park still hasn't reopened yet.

#855 Airkilla09

Airkilla09

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

They removed it in September '09 then it was moved into storage (to get refurbed and painted) It was intended to go to GAm but plans changed and it came to GAdv. It wasn't closed all of 2009, like I said, the last operating day was in the middle of September. It wasn't SBNO since it wasn't standing. :P

And the park still hasn't reopened yet.

Oh ok my apologies. That was very sneaky of six flags, but cmon who would want to lose a B&M coaster worth millions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users