• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

So according to screamscape there is talk of completely discontinuing the tiger show and effective immediately the show has been canceled for the rest of the season. Anybody know exactly what is going down with that? I'm shocked there isn't one forum talking bout it already. The bad thing here is that if the show goes I'd have to assume the tiger viewing area goes as well....since its the tigers from the show that are used in the viewing area. If this is the case....UGH! Its getting really really really really really hard for me to look the other way and say "give it time I'm sure they know what their doing". These aren't little decisions that can be changed in the future! I promise you if the tiger show is cancelled the likelihood of it ever coming back is slim and none!

On the off chance that SF managenment is reading this listen to this coming from a hardcore roller coaster enthusiast....you can go take chang and sell it for scrap metal if that would save the tiger viewing area! And I SERIOUSLY mean that! btw I AM a stock holder too!

Heres the link
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

There's talk of it all over the forums - mainly the 2011 Speculation. I completely agree with you - I only got to see it once but it was really great! When you think of a Six Flags park, you don't usually think of shows, which is a bad thing. I was impressed by the show - and everyone is in awe when they walk down that path next to the tigers. What the heck are you doing, Six Flags??
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#3 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

I was excited for Weber when he came in, thought it was great he reconsidered the chang location, was excited to hear about a flat package, and REALLY pumped up when I heard that Fitzgerald is looking into a drop tower for gadv. But right now, there both killing me.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#4 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

I heard Busch Gardens is looking for some new Tigers and such...Ceetakah.

#5 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

I thought it was going to be Cheetahs? Cheetekah Or did I miss some info leaked or something?
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

I was excited for Weber when he came in, thought it was great he reconsidered the chang location, was excited to hear about a flat package, and REALLY pumped up when I heard that Fitzgerald is looking into a drop tower for gadv. But right now, there both killing me.

That's how I felt. I was glad to see Red Zone and Shapiro gone because most of the things they did to the parks I didn't like except the park being cleaner and somewhat better ride operations but Weber is worse. They are cutting back every chance they get it seems. First it was the park hours cut all over for both the ride park and Hurricane Harbor, then it was getting rid of GASM instead of putting Green Lantern elsewhere, then getting rid of Funatics and not allowing season pass parking good at all parks, firing Mark Kane, now it is cutting the tiger show and firing all those employees this week and getting rid of a lot of important job positions in the park.

I know some people are saying it is just for this quarter for shareholders and the stock and next year will be better but I really don't see that happening. I think they are going to have cutbacks next year worse than this year. Stuff like the park opening later than normal (I am not expecting a late March or early April opening like usual), park hours cut even more, maybe not running all trains on the coasters, making more rides SBNO or more ride removals and maybe even more show/parade removals (we already know they said Glow In the Park cost too much). As much as I didn't like Shapiro, I'd rather see him back in control.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#7 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

The parking doesn't bother me at all if I go to SFGADV 12 times a season and maybe I'll go to one other SF park during the season.

I think it's only a cut going into Fright Fest. It could be coming back next season. I didn't see it fit into Fright Fest in the past.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#8 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

I thought it was going to be Cheetahs? Cheetekah Or did I miss some info leaked or something?

The leaked images show cheetah's so its cheetahs.

^^I hope its just for this quarter, the share holders are really responding and the stocks are really rising which is good for corporate but I don't think management is understand that they're hurting customer quality. Shapiro got customer satisfaction perfect. If new management can get the balance right after they're done with all these crazy cuts then I think SF can be perfect.

#9 scaresfan

scaresfan

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

I wasn't vocal, but I wasn't happy when Red Zone was kicked out due to the selfish stockholders who expected a faster return on their investments than they got. Truthfully, the parks have been cleaner and arguably operations have been improving, though slowly. Considering the literal mountain of debt they began with, they were building loyalty and reasons to return. The amount of time they were given was awfully short, and they did better than I expected.

Sure, the negatives were fairly obvious: Not enough flats/shows for non-thrill seekers and families during the day/week, and the food prices have been pretty high of late (arguably about equal to Dorney's food pricing in the last two years), but could have been worked on.

The big changes already made do not bode well to me, and this is very bad. Cutting staff just before their busiest time of the year and cutting the tiger show to give even less alternatives for families is a strange choice and we did all comment about the jump in meal prices twice in the same year as well. I was willing to give the benefit of a doubt, but the removal of two of the most respected GMs in the middle of the season was not exactly a positive start. Yoshi broke down the other issues I have too, and I'm hoping they come to their senses next year, but I'm not very hopeful right now. Assuming the Glow in the Park parade is going to get cut (and I'm sure the fireworks are already gone too), you have to wonder if they just aren't going to treat the park as the flagship anymore (unofficial as it was) and might be willing to let it deteriorate. Season passholders and other big spenders don't consist of just thrill riders, and ignoring those others will mean Dorney and Hershey can cut into the audience a lot more.

#10 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:59 AM

^The flagship part is already official. Go have a look at all there press releases, at the bottom it states something like, "...Six Flags Over Texas, the flag ship park..."

EDIT:

About Six Flags
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is a publicly traded corporation headquartered in Dallas, Texas with 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company's flagship location, was founded in 1961 and will mark its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61629&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1468050&highlight=

So GAdv is no longer flagship...Also notice how that been the only mention of 2011 since new management has been in place?

Edited by acq10uaz, 24 September 2010 - 06:01 AM.

#11 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

I think Six Flags over Texas was always the flagship park of the chain. When you attend in person you would understand. It may not show it in size compared to physical size of the other parks but it evokes the Six Flags culture. As the originator of it all it is the flagship.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#12 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

SFoT has always been the flagship "location" simply because it was the first six flags park. However, the flagship "park" has changed through the years. I believe during the WB days ('91 - '98) it was SFMM. During premier parks days ('98 - '06) it was SFMM at first but changed to gadv later on. During Red zone days ('06 - '10) it was actually always reported to be SFNE...though they did very little to showcase SFNE as the flagship park.....so go figure. Currently I don't really know what Weber's plan is here with the parks but gadv is clearly getting the shaft. The recent huge layoff over the entire company for instance over 20% of the totaly lay-off was at gadv! We've lost gasm, we're getting the hand-me down coaster while SFoG gets the cool mauer-sohn (granted they do already have Georgia scorcher so....). They fired Mark Kane and now they want to get rid of what is unarguably the best themed thing in the entire park in the Tiger area of golden kingdom. I am very concerned of the direction the comapny is taking. In the theme park biz cutting costs to this extent will make your stockholders happy in the short-run yes; but it absolutely kills your guest experience which in turn will hurt the company in the years to come. You CAN NOT operate a them park as a short-term investment if you do you will run it into the ground!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#13 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

^ SFOG is getting a Gerstauler, not Maurer Sohne. That's SFNE, and that's also a hand-me-down - now tell me, which hand-me-down would you rather get?

GADV is really lucky this season. I know things aren't looking great for us, but for once we need to be grateful here! Green Lantern is going to be a great addition. It's a heck of a lot better than a hand-me-down wild mouse, and especially better than a Six Flags America-style addition for next year. Sure, the tigers are being discontinued, but have you read what Six Flags is saying? They're reevaulating their shows for next season. You're complaining about losing a show when we'll likely be getting more than one NEW show this year.

And acquaz10, Texas is the flagship location, because it was the first park and it's where the corporate office is, they aren't talking about Six Flags Over Texas. SFMM is the Flagship of the West, and SFGADV is the Flagship of the East. Al Weber or Mark Shapiro said that GADV was the gem of the chain, and that it had potential. We aren't getting the short end of the stick AT all. If you want to see who is, read the "No New Additions for 2011" thread over at SFAFANS.com

This is a great site and by no means a selfish site, but sometimes you guys really don't look at the bright side of things.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#14 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

During Red zone days ('06 - '10) it was actually always reported to be SFNE...though they did very little to showcase SFNE as the flagship park.....so go figure. Currently I don't really know what Weber's plan is here with the parks but gadv is clearly getting the shaft. The recent huge layoff over the entire company for instance over 20% of the totaly lay-off was at gadv! We've lost gasm, we're getting the hand-me down coaster while SFoG gets the cool mauer-sohn (granted they do already have Georgia scorcher so....). In the theme park biz cutting costs to this extent will make your stockholders happy in the short-run yes; but it absolutely kills your guest experience which in turn will hurt the company in the years to come. You CAN NOT operate a them park as a short-term investment if you do you will run it into the ground!

When I posted the thing about SFNE being the flagship on here I got ATTACKED, so you're warned. I don't think he ever said flagship but he said model, meaning he wanted all the parks to be just like SFNE, in terms of food and balance of attractions. Mark Shapiro only had recently said that GAdv was the gem of the chain, and that was in the fancall which was full of GAdv fanboys. Yes it has a lot of potential but it has a lot of problems still, no where near flag ship...yet. But enough of this discussion where getting off topic.

GAdv isn't getting the shaft at all. You're getting the second biggest coaster in 2011 behind Cheetaka. You should be happy about that. GASM was lost because it was a hole in the pocket, they were putting money into every we theme fixing the track. It needed to get. However I do agree with you about this statement:

In theme park biz cutting costs to this extent will make your stockholders happy in the short-run yes; but it absolutely kills your guest experience which in turn will hurt the company in the years to come. You CAN NOT operate a them park as a short-term investment if you do you will run it into the ground!

I hear that it might only be just for this quarter but who knows. Lets hope that this is the case. But I agree. The guest satisfaction the Shapiro brought all the way up, will drop 50x faster.

#15 Devins3

Devins3

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

This is why I will be getting a cedar fair season pass this year before a six flags one. I would rather drive twice as far to cedar point 3 times a year rather than going to GADV 6-7 times. Everything since red zone was kicked out has frustrated me and I just don't like the direction the park is going. I was mad but understood getting rid of GASM, but everything else that people have said in this thread has pushed me over the edge. Getting rid of the Tiger show and possibly the viewing area is the last straw, that was a big attraction at the park that really set it apart from other parks, its not often your able to be that close to a tiger. Another thing that has really annoyed me is the platinum flashpass, last trip i made I was forced not to ride because of people with the platinum flashpass. Another thing really frustrates me also is the cut in hours, talk of not closing at 10 during the summer? There is no reason the park needs to close before 10 in July and August.There just is not enough at the park anymore to make me want to go next year.
Posted Image
Nitro is the greatest ride ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users