136 replies to this topic

#16 CH101

CH101

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

According to FB, the show has been permanently discontinued. It was taken off of SF website, and the people who run the FB responded to someone complaining about it saying:

"We are constantly reviewing and modifying our entertainment offering and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility.

We recognize that these majestic animals play a vital role in building public awareness and promoting conservation through education. Adjacent to the theme park is our 350 acre wildlife preserve, home to more than 1,200 exotic animals from around the globe. Our Bengal tigers will join nine other tigers in the Asian section of the animal park."

#17 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Where in there does it eever say its closed permenately? I've heard that it wasn't a cutback they wanted to make and that it is being considered for next year due to all the outrage.

#18 CH101

CH101

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

Where in there does it eever say its closed permenately? I've heard that it wasn't a cutback they wanted to make and that it is being considered for next year due to all the outrage.

"and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility."

That, and the part about them being moved to the wild safari, as well as being completely removed from their website implies that it is not coming back next year. Before, they would just say it is temporary. Stuff like "Temple of the Tiger will be closed until further notice."

#19 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous. The tigers are a big part of what saves GADV from being that grimy park that it used to be. I was hopeful when Al Weber came in, but now I have serious doubts. That "big 2012" we might possibly get better be bringing everything back.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#20 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

"and after much discussion and consideration we have come to a decision to close the Temple of the Tiger facility."

That, and the part about them being moved to the wild safari, as well as being completely removed from their website implies that it is not coming back next year. Before, they would just say it is temporary. Stuff like "Temple of the Tiger will be closed until further notice."

Or.... did you ever stop and think that means that its closed for the rest of the season, which is what we already know, and we already know that the tigers have been moved to the Safari anyways. Whenever a show stops running it gets removed from the website, so you can base facts off that. That never says that the whole show is canceled and that its never coming back. You're reading into it way to much I think.

#21 Mike

Mike

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

I've heard that it wasn't a cutback they wanted to make and that it is being considered for next year due to all the outrage.

Gotta love rumors.

Posted Image
4ever

#22 CH101

CH101

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

Or.... did you ever stop and think that means that its closed for the rest of the season, which is what we already know, and we already know that the tigers have been moved to the Safari anyways. Whenever a show stops running it gets removed from the website, so you can base facts off that. That never says that the whole show is canceled and that its never coming back. You're reading into it way to much I think.

And I think you are reading way too little into this. Someone asked if they are coming back for 2011 and SF responded "Temple of the Tiger is closed. You can check out the tigers in the Wild Safari though- they have a big new home!"

Also on a side note, someone complained/was ranting that SF would rather spend their money on a coasters and close Temple of the Tiger, to which SF said: "guests are still welcome to see our tigers and other exotic animals in our Wild Safari. Also, we never said anything about choosing to spend money on a coaster over the tigers; in fact, they're completely unrelated. Thanks for the feedback though!".

#23 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

To me that is the park's way of saying, "You want to see the tigers?, you had better pay us an extra $10 to go through the safari or you can't see them now"

Maybe I am thinking too much about this but I could see this as a way to get rid of animals and the safari. Let's say they decide for 2012 to no longer include the Safari with a season pass since they already aren't allowing non Great Adventure season passes into the Safari for free. Attendance will be down next year for sure because of that and if they made it an upcharge for everyone, attendance would drop even more. Then they could remove the safari and claim it was because attendance was down and save themselves even more money. I don't want this to happen of course but I wouldn't put anything past the current management.

It is also quite different to go through the safari to see the tigers than just stop to watch them in the park. When walking through the Golden Kingdom I would often stop and watch the tigers for a few minutes. To now see them in the Safari would be 1 - 1 1/2 hour investment of time since you of course have to drive through the entire Safari.

Not a good day for the park with the removal of the show and the fire department.

I can't wait for Weber, Fitzgerald and whoever else was involved in these cutbacks to be gone from the company. With the stock prices rising, share holders will be in no rush to get rid of anyone which will probably continue for the short term but if they keep cutting back more and more, eventually the prices will fall from decreased attendance.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#24 Devins3

Devins3

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

^Also there is a big difference between seeing a tiger 2 feet away from you and seeing one from your car in a cage, I just cant see that they are saving that much money by doing this to justify the cutback. Like I said me and my family are not planning on getting season passes this year because of all of these cutbacks, so they just lost 3 season pass holders because of what they are doing. I can only hope more people stop going so attendance is down and they realize all of these cutbacks hurt the park as a whole. With lack of flats we didn't need to get rid of one of the few shows that we had that was actually amazing. Now there is even less things to do at the park other than coasters.
Posted Image
Nitro is the greatest ride ever.

#25 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

What the HELL is happening to Gadv. Everyday I log on there is another cut from the park. This is REVOLTING. The Tiger Show was amazing and played a MAJOR part in Golden Kingdom. Six Flags is @#%$ing STUPID. I honestly want Shapiro back. And don't reply saying, "It's only going to benefit the park" and "It's going to save us money". That's always the reason. STHU. I can't believe Six Flags. Now i see why so many people give up on this company. I think I'll be spending a bit more time at Dorney next year.
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#26 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

^I don't think anyone was going to reply, "Its only benefit the park." Just about everyone in the coaster community and in the know of whats going on at Six Flags has just about had it with all the cuts. By the time next season comes around I bet there are going to be even more cuts and less operating days that will turn away the GP. Up north here, I'm perfectly happy with going to Canobie, even though its smaller, but they're adding a euro fighter. Then I can go to LC. I haven't bought my season pass and I don't think I'm going to get one. Other parks are looking better right now, like you said. I'm missing Shapiro also... At least he cared about the parks and was enthusiastic with everything he did, even if it was the smallest thing. And wow I can't believe we agreed on something for once.

#27 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Shapiro's cutbacks were also more justified. How much does the park save by moving the tigers? Shapiro is like a nice uncle, Weber is more akin to an out-of-touch school principal. Ugh. I am sick of defending the cutbacks, screw corporate. Was Weber drunk had a bet on how many people he could piss off?

#28 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

This is ridiculous. I have already sent my complaint to the company and encourage others to follow suit. Please, please! Be respectful in what you say, you don't want to come off like a ranting lunatic, more of an upset and concerned individual they are much more likely to take you more seriously that way. I've been a consistant season pass holder since 1992! And next year is going to be the first time in 19 years I will not be buying one....on SF's 50th anniversary no less!

Its extremely upsetting to me to see these things happening. I've been following the park religiously since 1999 and I remember the terrible days like they were yesterday! Its upsetting that Red zone bought out premier because premier was finally getting it, it took them 6 years; BUT the switch finally clicked they were gonna start really making things amazing.

Then Red Zone I held my skepticism like I feel is deservably so for all new management, you have to give them a chance to show you their vision. And while I stil feel premier would have been better for gadv in the long-haul, red zone was better for the overall company and they did just fine and were about to do some great things I believe. Some of their decisions didn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean c'mon why are you going to invest in dismantling and rebuilding a coaster to a park that already has that kind of coaster to begin with?! But at least they understood how to walk the tight-rope of guest-service and stock-holder profitability.

Like I did with Red Zone's take-over I want to and really really still want to believe Weber & friends have a good vision in mind for the parks. And I want to bite my tongue and wait for them to show me this vision they have.....but Weber has just made too many quick but permanant decisions that as much as I want to bite my tongue and blindly look-on reserving my thought he has forced me to a point of not being able to do so.

Weber hasn't shown me that he even understands how the business works, you can't cut costs to a bear minimum and expect to continue the same revenue. It seems thats what he thinks....like the revenue hes getting is going to remain the same so all he has to do is cut as many costs as possible and that will give him a huge profit.

The thought just made me infuriated LITERALLY I want to type some very carefully thought-out but vulgar messages towards him. Because thats just not how you operate a theme parks and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit here and watch him take this park that I have seen come from such a dismal existance to being quite frankly without question (Disney and Universal aside) one of the premiere parks in the world and ruin it all in one felled swoop....BUT THATS EXACTLY HOW ALL OF THIS FEELS LIKE!

The only business decision he has made so far that makes any sense to me at all was moving chang here. That just business-wise made the most sense. But that is it, thats all folks! Every other decision he has made has me looking around with a dumb-founded look just thinking is this guy (insert desired word here).

I get the image of him sitting at his desk looking over costs at each of the parks and circling the highest costing items. Not looking at all at what they are or even caring, really, and then going to the park GM's and saying see these circled items get rid of'em! I see him as a guy that promotes yes-men and his word being that of god's....if you try to criticize his word your fired.....hence all of the major GM's in the company getting the ax...and not just replaced, but replaced by external hires!

This is the image I have of him and I really feel its true.....which just makes me really upset because the longer he remains the comapany is just gonna fall through the tube hard!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#29 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I tried to type a message to express how angry I was yesterday when I heard. But I couldn't even find words that described it.

I'm not one to beat around the bush when it comes to critizism toward the park. I'm usually straight forward with these guys. I now have something that I really don't have words for. This is bs.

Al Weber really had me hopeful for this park when chang was coming here. I was pumped when I heard Fitzgerald was looking into a drop tower. I thought it was really looking up when I heard flats were coming, and I thought Gadv was going to be better than CP when I heard Weber, the board, most of corperate, and park management knew they had a special park with tons of potential on their hands. Now, all of this is shattered. I really hope their happy with this decision.

A message to whoever is responsible for this:
This year I became a season pass holder. I was really excited to finally be able to go as much as I want, go to season pass holder events, etc. This year was a complete disaster and I would like to tell you how bad it was this year:
-At SFMM, we got rude service and additude from an uncaring staff that really made me wonder what "good service" really is.
-On my school trip, I took an autistic kid into Bugs Bunny National Park, and to a mini ferris wheel. The ride operator asked him if he had been on El Toro yet. he said no, and that he was scared of roller coasters. Her response was "Oh, you big baby! Are you serious? Your a big wimp.". He was so scared he ran halfway across the park.
-At El Toro's ride plaza, an employee was joking around with some guests. Whenever someone would go by into the queue, he would do a nazi salute and say "l'chaim". We told his releif and told him that he was doing it. The employee had the wrong nametag on. When the employee left when his relief showed up he did nazi salutes up a pathway around tons of geusts
-At guest relations, an employee accused us of going across the country to SFMM to get a pass, go back to NJ, and go a bunch of times to save money and get a guest in free.

What am I getting at?
I spent HOURS upon HOURS trying to convince my parents that a SF season pass was better than a Cedar Fair pass(no themeing and extra seatbelts? NO THANKS) After tons of tries, I finally did it. THEN all of this cutback news came in. Especially the fact that the 20% off funatics cupoun isn't valid until AFTER the buy 4 season passes, get free parking deal ends, the tigers, etc.

Guess what my parents new response is?
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#30 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

The only business decision he has made so far that makes any sense to me at all was moving chang here. That just business-wise made the most sense. But that is it, thats all folks! Every other decision he has made has me looking around with a dumb-founded look just thinking is this guy (insert desired word here).

When I first hear we were getting Chang I thought it was great that the new management knew what they were doing and this was the start of great things. I guess with the closing of GASM to save costs rather than build Chang elsewhere should have been a red flag about what they were up to. It's almost become a game of what they are going to do next to ruin the park (except this game has no winners)

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users