136 replies to this topic

#31 mtnwolf63

mtnwolf63

Half Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

It's not talk, the Temple of the Tiger is closed permanently! Six Flags corp. was bought out by foreigners. The new management 'team' dumped Temple of the Tiger. All of the trainers were fired, and the tigers were banished to the Safari. Instead they're building another roller-coaster, and a new theme park in Dubai! Kingda Ka was the star of the show, his dives into the pool were spectacular. The biggest roller coaster was named for him! He was only 6, he had a lot of good years left. Nobody expected the abrupt, and completely unjustified cancellation of the show, and firing of the trainers. These Tigers have had human companionship since birth. They were a family. Now they will sit behind a fence, watching the cars go by, never to see their human companions again. It's despicable 'corporate conduct'. My parents, my kids, my girlfriend and I will never set foot in that park again! Damn them!

Tiger Show Ends at Six Flags-Kingda Ka sent to Safari

So according to screamscape there is talk of completely discontinuing the tiger show and effective immediately the show has been canceled for the rest of the season. Anybody know exactly what is going down with that? I'm shocked there isn't one forum talking bout it already. The bad thing here is that if the show goes I'd have to assume the tiger viewing area goes as well....since its the tigers from the show that are used in the viewing area. If this is the case....UGH! Its getting really really really really really hard for me to look the other way and say "give it time I'm sure they know what their doing". These aren't little decisions that can be changed in the future! I promise you if the tiger show is cancelled the likelihood of it ever coming back is slim and none!

On the off chance that SF managenment is reading this listen to this coming from a hardcore roller coaster enthusiast....you can go take chang and sell it for scrap metal if that would save the tiger viewing area! And I SERIOUSLY mean that! btw I AM a stock holder too!

Heres the link

#32 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the late knowledge buddy. While I do very much appreciate the quality of your post with embedded link and all.....please in the future read a bit into the most recent posts we have now known for at least a week that the show has been officially axed....I had originally posted this thread a day before the official announcement ;) But seriously keep up the good quality posts that is much much appreciated :D ! And for the record...haha...SFI was not bought by foreigners and there has been talk of an SF Dubai park for at least 2 years now. Let me get you caught up real quick on SFI management: The current COO of the company and really the guy calling all the shots is Al Weber former CEO of the former paramount parks....and the new GM of Six Flags Great Adventure is John Fitzgerald a former board member for the former Hard-rock park in Myrtle Beach. If you feel the need to respond to this I'd be more than happy to answer any questions but please direct them to my private message box by clicking on the opened letter below my member name here at the left. Thanks again for your input
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#33 mtnwolf63

mtnwolf63

Half Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

i tried to reply to your private message box, but i got an error. i do have one question. is there anything else we can do? right now i am thoroughly disgusted. i was banned from their facebook page, and i noticed that all messages asking about the tigers get deleted. it's like they're trying to cover this up. i refuse to let that happen. the tigers are the reason i started going there back in 2006, and went back every year since. of course i enjoyed other attractions at the park over the years, but as it stands now, myself, my girlfriend, my parents and my kids will never set foot in that place again.

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the late knowledge buddy. While I do very much appreciate the quality of your post with embedded link and all.....please in the future read a bit into the most recent posts we have now known for at least a week that the show has been officially axed....I had originally posted this thread a day before the official announcement ;) But seriously keep up the good quality posts that is much much appreciated :D ! And for the record...haha...SFI was not bought by foreigners and there has been talk of an SF Dubai park for at least 2 years now. Let me get you caught up real quick on SFI management: The current COO of the company and really the guy calling all the shots is Al Weber former CEO of the former paramount parks....and the new GM of Six Flags Great Adventure is John Fitzgerald a former board member for the former Hard-rock park in Myrtle Beach. If you feel the need to respond to this I'd be more than happy to answer any questions but please direct them to my private message box by clicking on the opened letter below my member name here at the left. Thanks again for your input

#34 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

You can find all of the contact information for the park here. At the bottom of the page is an option to type a message to them. I suggest everyone voice their concerns there....however like I have said before PLEASE post respectful constructive criticism like posts and not something coming off like a ranting lunatic. The park is much, MUCH more likely to take your response more seriously.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 MRHS Falcons

MRHS Falcons

I miss her everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

i cant say alot but it was somthing the trainers did that caused the show to end, so dont balme the company blame the trainers. Thats my understanding of the situation.
Posted Image

________________________________________________________________________________

#36 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

I bet you'd get farther by writing letters to the corporate office.

924 Avenue J East
Grand Prairie, Texas 75050

and you can always send a copy to the NY office.

230 Park Avenue, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10169

Dedication is what gets things back and if you write letters, which no one does anymore, that shows that you really want it back. Just a thought.

#37 mtnwolf63

mtnwolf63

Half Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

I met every one of those trainers over the years, they are all highly professional from what I saw. Taking care of those cats requires an around-the-clock committment. Very few people have that kind of dedication. I can't imagine them doing anything so horrible that it would justify firing all of them and shutting down the show. And the timing is suspicious, since the park disbanded the fire department around the same time. Smells like corporate downsizing to me. They couldn't find a way to 'outsource' the work, or have it done by illegal aliens. The previous park president never had a problem with the trainers. Apparently the new president has some kind of problem with animals. Look out Dolphins, you're next on the chopping block.

Tiger Show Ends at Six Flags-Kingda Ka sent to Safari

i cant say alot but it was somthing the trainers did that caused the show to end, so dont balme the company blame the trainers. Thats my understanding of the situation.

#38 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

^When did making illegal aliens the trainers ever become an option? I really hate to sound mean, bit alot of this info seems like it's coming out of your a$$
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#39 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

I never had the patience to go see the Tiger Show. Since there are so many species next door at Wild Safari although the cats were there to tie in Kingda Ka I still thought they were out of place there in the theme park. Weren't the white tigers previously at SFWOA before it got sold to Cedar Fair?

I believe the cats would have been put out to the Safari due to the weather and main part of the season being over. I didn't buy into a Fright Fest going on with a Tiger Show in the past. I'm not going to believe the show is gone until I read a AP news article. In new media I like fb announcements but don't hold them with as much weight as the traditional media. I think people are reading too much into it. I will wait for the news article or its absence from the 2011 guides/map. Not a big loss for me if it's true.

I haven't been to Wild Safari in about 5 years but when I go I expect to see all the lions, tigers, elephants, baboons in their place together in the park.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#40 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Refusing to take a large paycut (total conjecture on my part), seems a poor reason to word a sentence that way. In business, everything comes down to money.

Premier Parks transformed Six Flags into a global entity, and made Great Adventure a destination park. RedZone cleaned up the pathways only to slap litter on every other surface possible. The current receivership has made some shrewd business moves (Kentucky Kingdom settlement, Selling operational rights to ---- Clark Products for largely what they paid.), while further diluting an already watered down damaged brand with these cutbacks. I'm glad Mark Shapiro is gone, as he would have done everything currently being demanded by the current receivership. That being said, Dr. Al Weber and Co. seem like a total disaster. They haven't learned a single lesson from previous management failures (coincidently, it's not the multi-million dollar coaster installs, it's "giving away the gate"!), and are trying to run these parks as cheaply as possible. While I do believe the receivership is trying to pad the bottom line and position the company for a sale; I don't think anyone will line up to buy.

From a post of mine at GAHistory.com:

[Regarding possible acquisition of Great Adventure] "I never heard about any interest from Disney, as Great Adventure would need a complete reinvention to fit with their portfolio. Universal on the other hand, did express interest at some point. Universal supposably envisioned a "PortAventura" style makeover for the park. When the appraised value clocked in around $800M (late 90's - early 2000's), they got cold feet and decided against it. Seasonal operations, high acquisition cost (biggest factor), and upgrade costs were just too great. Or so they thought at the time. With Universal divesting PortAventura, I doubt Great Adventure meets their criteria for acquisition now. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (ne้ Busch Entertainment Corp. "BEC") would be the ideal buyer for Great Adventure.

BEC certainly has experience running an animal park. Provided Great Adventure hasn't already started ripping down the "Temple of the Tiger" habitat, BEC could makeover the park over time with minimal costs. Unfortunately for us, BEC is VERY cautious with their investments. Cedar Fair has debt issues of their own, and credit is hardly flowing freely.

If the Sandusky based company was interested, they would have bought the company as a whole on the bankruptcy court steps for pennies. I don't think the Apollo Management takeover was a factor, as there were rumors/talks about combining both Six Flags and Cedar Fair earlier this year. Any sale of Six Flags will be complicated, as the company doesn't own Six Flags Over Texas or Over Georgia. They're investors in a limited partnership, and the buyout costs ("triggers") are exorbitant. That leaves Parques Reunidos as the sole possible savior."

For me, I wish Kieran Burke found a way to reacquire Six Flags. With a market cap hovering around $1.1B, it could be purchased cheaply! I don't know what financial institution would fund such a takeover (credit is still scarce), but I'd love to see PKS return and complete their mission. Hopefully they'll take a slow, measured approach this time.

#41 mtnwolf63

mtnwolf63

Half Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

Thank you for the info Thunderbolt. I would sure like to see the park in more responsible (and less greedy) hands. It's too bad they can't ditch Six Flags and go back to being just Great Adventure. Sign of the times I guess. The big fish eats the little fish, and so on. In the process the things that make the park special and unique get cast aside. I'm glad Disney didn't get it. If I hear 'we are the world' one more time I'll vomit. The new park president wasted no time removing the Temple of the Tiger web site, with the photos, names, and bios for all six Tigers. Fortunately, I downloaded it. But there is still one web site they overlooked. Downloaded that too. Take a look while you still can.

Tigers and Their Trainers Share Their Strong Bond
http://www.sixflags....Tiger_news.aspx

Refusing to take a large paycut (total conjecture on my part), seems a poor reason to word a sentence that way. In business, everything comes down to money.

Premier Parks transformed Six Flags into a global entity, and made Great Adventure a destination park. RedZone cleaned up the pathways only to slap litter on every other surface possible. The current receivership has made some shrewd business moves (Kentucky Kingdom settlement, Selling operational rights to ---- Clark Products for largely what they paid.), while further diluting an already watered down damaged brand with these cutbacks. I'm glad Mark Shapiro is gone, as he would have done everything currently being demanded by the current receivership. That being said, Dr. Al Weber and Co. seem like a total disaster. They haven't learned a single lesson from previous management failures (coincidently, it's not the multi-million dollar coaster installs, it's "giving away the gate"!), and are trying to run these parks as cheaply as possible. While I do believe the receivership is trying to pad the bottom line and position the company for a sale; I don't think anyone will line up to buy.

From a post of mine at GAHistory.com:

[Regarding possible acquisition of Great Adventure] "I never heard about any interest from Disney, as Great Adventure would need a complete reinvention to fit with their portfolio. Universal on the other hand, did express interest at some point. Universal supposably envisioned a "PortAventura" style makeover for the park. When the appraised value clocked in around $800M (late 90's - early 2000's), they got cold feet and decided against it. Seasonal operations, high acquisition cost (biggest factor), and upgrade costs were just too great. Or so they thought at the time. With Universal divesting PortAventura, I doubt Great Adventure meets their criteria for acquisition now. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (ne้ Busch Entertainment Corp. "BEC") would be the ideal buyer for Great Adventure.

BEC certainly has experience running an animal park. Provided Great Adventure hasn't already started ripping down the "Temple of the Tiger" habitat, BEC could makeover the park over time with minimal costs. Unfortunately for us, BEC is VERY cautious with their investments. Cedar Fair has debt issues of their own, and credit is hardly flowing freely.

If the Sandusky based company was interested, they would have bought the company as a whole on the bankruptcy court steps for pennies. I don't think the Apollo Management takeover was a factor, as there were rumors/talks about combining both Six Flags and Cedar Fair earlier this year. Any sale of Six Flags will be complicated, as the company doesn't own Six Flags Over Texas or Over Georgia. They're investors in a limited partnership, and the buyout costs ("triggers") are exorbitant. That leaves Parques Reunidos as the sole possible savior."

For me, I wish Kieran Burke found a way to reacquire Six Flags. With a market cap hovering around $1.1B, it could be purchased cheaply! I don't know what financial institution would fund such a takeover (credit is still scarce), but I'd love to see PKS return and complete their mission. Hopefully they'll take a slow, measured approach this time.

#42 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:32 AM

Thunderbolt....thank you! You are without a doubt the smartest post in this thread. I havn't been able to understand these corporate decisions but what you said now makes so much sense. The only possible business decision that makes any sense at all is that they are preparing the company to get sold. Its clear that Al Weber is only thinking in the present and what is going to presently increase the stockholder value greatly....WHY?! Running a theme park like that will only kill you 10X's worse in the long-run. The only thing that makes sense is that he doesn't have to worry about the company in the long-run....and the only reason he wouldn't have to worry about the company in the long-run is if he knew his goal was to eventually sell it.

Theres only one major problem here guys.....there are no good buyers right now! I mean lets take the top theme park companies:

- Disney
- Universal
- Cedar Fair
- Merlin/blackstone/Busch Entertainment

These are the only 4 companies that I believe have the money to pick up the SF chain or the 3 big parks individually (gadv, SFGam, SFMM)

Disney:
clearly no interest its just not even a possibility

Universal:
Still settling into a comcast buyout....comcast is likely to not even want the theme parks and in my belief will probably sell off their entire stakes in them to Merlin whom already owns 20% of the Universal parks

Cedar Fair:
Almost sold themselves to another company in the spring, just getting their footing together after their purchase of the paramount parks, have their own share of debt.....and lets be honest we really don't want cedar fair owning our park you can kiss the entire safari goodbye....don't believe me..... do an interent search for Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and see how that buyout turned out.

Blackstone/Merlin/Busch Entertainment:
To me if someone were interested in the entire chain this would be the top option....however they just purchase the Busch Entertainment and they are probably still waiting to see what happens with the comcast buyout of Universal....comcast may expect them to acquire the other 80% ownership of the park that NBC/Universal currenty has in the Universal parks. While I think they're the only possible option....I don't think their a really viable option.

So where does that leave us.....we're at a point where Weber and friends get desperate and start offering each property seperately. The sad news is this will likely lead to many theme parks getting sold to real estate investors and guess what....good-bye theme park. Now as a sole investment I could see Cedar fair having some interest in one or two parks, but gadv is not one of those.....its too close in competition to Dorney and it has a safari....CF doesn't do animals! I don't see any small theme park operators like parques reunidos having the cash flow to purchase gadv outright and even if they did I don't see that lasting very long either......they would be reeling from the purchase...... I could see some of them picking up some of the smaller SF parks though. Disney....forget it! Blackstone/Merlin/Busch....maybe and this would be our absolute best option but I'm still not certain for terms I've described above that they would even have the cash flow to make a run at gadv.

Now we're lucky because even though there are no good buyers we're such a well established and huge park that a real estate developer taking us is highly unlikely and if it really ever came to that Jackson township would buy it in a heartbeat. But I have to feel for SFMM cause this will most likely be the end of that park. All of the major theme park companies have nearby competition....and its simply too far away from Universal Studios for Merlin/Universal to try an IOA on the west coast. I mean we've already seen SFMM on the market before and it came really really really close to being sold to a real-estate developer. Its just really hard to see a park with so much history go by the way-side like that but if SF starts selling every park off I can promise you there is a good 95% chance SFMM will be a place of the past.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 TheFlash

TheFlash

Batman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

This is all so sad. :cry:

If you see a weird kid wearing a Flash shirt running around Six Flags Great Adventure, it's just me, don't be scared. =P

#44 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

If the Tiger Show really goes, stays idle a year and the site turns over to a Splash Battle or a queue for a new splashboat ride I'll be happy.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#45 mtnwolf63

mtnwolf63

Half Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

And that attitude is exactly why Tigers will be extinct in 2 or 3 years. Most of their natural habitat has been destroyed, and places like Temple of the Tiger are their only chance for survival. You'd think people would appreciate being able to see them up close, not in a cage in a zoo, but performing natural behaviors as they would in the wild. But all people want is more rides and more entertainment. In time this short-sighted, selfish attitude will collapse the ecosystem on which all life depends. Given the current trends in population growth, increasing food consumption, and decreasing farmable land, a food crisis is certain. When that happens, civilization as we now know it will disintegrate. Nature will have her revenge. But for now your thoughtless attitude prevails. And I'm sure your like-minded ally, the new park president, will fulfill your desire for more entertainment, and more, and more.

If the Tiger Show really goes, stays idle a year and the site turns over to a Splash Battle or a queue for a new splashboat ride I'll be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users