#1 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

Six Flags Fire Department Disbanded.

On September, 21, 2010, the management of Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, N.J. announced it would be disbanding its fire department. IAFF Local I-73, the International Association of Fire Fighters and the Professional Fire Fighters of New Jersey believe that disbanding the fire department at Six Flags Great Adventure will diminish current levels of public safety service at the amusement park which receives 2,800,000 visitors annually, with a average daily attendance of 30,000 people.

Disbanding the fire department at Great adventure will result in delayed responses to emergencies where people need help. It will take longer for outside fire and emergency units to respond to Great Adventure and arrive at emergencies. Fire and emergency units from outside should continue to support Great Adventure's own fire department, not replace it.

The International Association of Fire Fighters and the Professional Firefighters Association of New Jersey are working to support Local I-73 efforts to convey this important message to management.

Please call Angel Aristone at 732-928-2000 Ext. 2832. Tell management at Six Flags Great Adventure that disbanding their fire department is a mistake that will hurt public safety.

http://1stresponder.com/webpages/news/displayNews.aspx?PT=news&ID=7e02bf97-b9bb-4f40-a437-2876afd343fb

Looks like these were part of the cut offs the happened last week? I don't think this was a bright move for Al Weber...

#2 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Was that fire truck still the one I saw in the 90's, a 80's looking Ford unit? Typical shelf life for a fire truck in a regular community is now at around 20 years. I bet it was time to look at replacing the truck. Forget about it. Good cut.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#3 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Mixed feelings on this one.

Does a theme park need it's own fire company? No. For instance, look what happened at Cedar Point with Mean Streak. It caught on fire when the park was closed and their fire station was not staffed at the time. A fire can happen at any time and if the station is not staffed then the surrounding communities will have to respond. Therefore, what is the chance of a fire physically occurring at a theme park? Very slim and I'm pretty sure other major theme park chains don't have their own fire company.

On the negative side of closing it. Great Adventure has three surrounding communities to respond to fire related called. Those being Millstone Township FD, Jackson Township FD, and New Egypt FD. All three townships have full time fire fighters (staffed 6 AM-4AM) with volunteers staffing the station after those hours. New Egypt is actually the closest fire station to the theme park and I damn well know that if a fire occurs in the park during volunteer hours, it will take them a good 30+ minutes to respond.

I guess this is a good way to save budget. I know in the time that I worked with the park, I have only seen the fire company respond to one incident, and that was mutual aid to JCP&L regarding an incident to one of their transformers.

#4 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

I think a new fire truck would be at least a half mil. They could get a new flat with that funding.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#5 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think a new fire truck would be at least a half mil. They could get a new flat with that funding.

They could, but never would.

#6 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

This is just horrible. Disband this, disband that.

I'm calling the next announcement:

Starting next season, Kingda Ka and El Toro will only be open on Fridays and Saturdays from 1:00 to 1:30. Water fountains will require a visitor to put a coin in a slot for a certain amount of water to come out. Certain sections of the park (such as Golden Kingdom and Plaza del Carnaval) will have a seperate entrance fee, and all of the flats will become upcharge rides. Also, the park will only be open in July.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#7 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

I am all for this cut. Seriously. It's not like there is fire every other day at the park.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#8 pashacar

pashacar

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

An average attendance of 30,000 people? Hmm....

#9 MRHS Falcons

MRHS Falcons

I miss her everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

not a bad idea i agree with this cut,this is something to think about, you have jackson twp fire station very close to the park. So response times wont slow down, also GADV fire dept was very small so fighting fire they still would need to wait for the biger town to show up. The first aid dept is still their so the park will be fine.
Posted Image

________________________________________________________________________________

#10 Mike

Mike

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

The Fire Dept that was housed on SF property did a lot more then just put out fires. It would be different if the park was thinking about putting in a Fire House and decided not to because of the budget, but the equipment, space, truck everything is already on property. The money they'll be saving is minimal compared to how much they might have to pay if a big fire breaks out and the local FD can't get to the park for twenty to thirty minutes.

Also I believe the park just purchased very recently a new-ish Fire Truck.

Posted Image
4ever

#11 SouthCentralLosEric

SouthCentralLosEric

Dynamite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

Starting next season, Kingda Ka and El Toro will only be open on Fridays and Saturdays from 1:00 to 1:30. Water fountains will require a visitor to put a coin in a slot for a certain amount of water to come out. Certain sections of the park (such as Golden Kingdom and Plaza del Carnaval) will have a seperate entrance fee, and all of the flats will become upcharge rides. Also, the park will only be open in July.

Shhh! Weber might hear you! We don't need to give him any ideas!
"Now ask yourself this question, um...would you be with Jay-Z if he wasn't CEO, would you be with F-A-B-O if he drove a Geo, would you ride with me if we was in a neo"...

-The illustrious Kanye West

#12 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

The Fire Dept that was housed on SF property did a lot more then just put out fires...Also I believe the park just purchased very recently a new-ish Fire Truck.

Thats why I thought it was a bad idea. I knew they put out more than just fires, don't they help out with first aid and things like that?

#13 MRHS Falcons

MRHS Falcons

I miss her everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

The Fire Dept that was housed on SF property did a lot more then just put out fires...Also I believe the park just purchased very recently a new-ish Fire Truck.

Thats why I thought it was a bad idea. I knew they put out more than just fires, don't they help out with first aid and things like that?

no they did not help with first aid responses at the park, first aid is a seperate dept from the fire dept. How many amusment park have a full time paid fire dept now a day anyway? Also the equipment the FD uses is old hand me down fire trucks (from jackson twp i beleive), even with FD at the park you would still have to have Jackson twp respond to fires. Perfect example what did have a paid FD in may of 1984 do to save lives, i will answer this nothing they still needed to call in jackson and many other towns because the fire equipment we had (which is just like the truck we have today) could not fight the fire. this move will save the park alot more than you guys know.
Posted Image

________________________________________________________________________________

#14 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Psh, you all keep saying Jackson FD is the closest, when in fact, New Egypt FD is hahaha.

#15 MRHS Falcons

MRHS Falcons

I miss her everyday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

adam the reason i keep saying Jackson twp fd is because GADV is located inside of jackson twp so for any emergency calls they have to go throught Jackson and not new egypt
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users