26 replies to this topic

#16 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

It's my honest opinion that Six Flags should only keep Great Adventure, Great America, and the three original parks. I don't mean to sound extremist - but it's my honest opinion. I think these five parks reflect best what the chain is looking for.

I really think they should keep anypark thats making a solid profit and can handle big additions, money wise. I like Gadv, Gam, OT, MM, DK, St.L, TGE, SFM and OG. IMO, these parks symbolize SF to me. Gadv, OT, MM, Gam, and OG as the major, large parks that are competitors in their market. You have SFDK as a forgotten money maker. This park always make a large profit and SFI would benefit from keeping them. SFSt.L is a nice park that shows that it can handle big additions, and, IMO, it has potential. You have SFM, which is a money maker, that rarely require major additions. Then you have TGE, the small family oriented resort that bring in good money(unbeleivably) from the hotel, park, etc.

When the chain was considering selling Magic Mountain a few years ago, I felt they were making the right decision.

They are serious money-makers. It wouldn't have gone through, Velencia was stepping into the situation, and I GUARANTEE they wouldn't have let SFI sell it off as real estate

Magic Mountain is grounded in grimy thrill rides, which is why themed family rides haven't really worked out for them lately.

Grimy is NOT the word I would use for SFMM's thrill rides. You could see workers hard at work, making the park look nice, a lot of the rides have gotten rehabs/ repaints(Goliath and Batman looked AMAZING with repaints) and the park was looking nice. I really give Shapiro props for that.

"Six Stabs Tragic Mountain" is going to be a dirty, grimy theme park or at least have that image for a while, and I feel it would have been better for them to sell that park with all the others that were sold.

I went there and it's beatiful. Grimy is NOT something I would say about it. The park had areas that looked badass(ex. The desert-type Gotham City), and areas that were very family oriented(Main Street, The Camp section)

My plan would be for the chain to sell off most of the other parks. I know some of the other parkies are going to hate me for this - but I feel that Six Flags New England and Fiesta Texas would be good for Cedar Fair to take. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom would be good as a Busch park, since it has lots of animals which are not taken care of well. La Ronde can be sold to a French company, as well as Six Flags Mexico. Great Escape should be run on its own.

I really don't think SFFT would be good as a Cedar Fair park, they have history, and themeing. 2 things CF doesn't care about

As for Six Flags America - it might as well close. It's a joke; especially when compared to Kings Dominion not too far away. The park can be closed, and all the rides sent to other parks. There isn't much theming or landscaping to speak of, so it would not be much of a loss. Batwing can be sent to Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags St. Louis, and Superman can be sent to St. Louis. The other flat rides can be distributed to other parks.

I have to agree. SFA started to be a depressing story years ago. I think it's finally time to pull the plug after I305. The rides could be marketed as new in other places and make more money for the company for more additions around the chain

As a smaller chain, Six Flags can promise rides to each of its five parks every year, whether their big additions or small ones.

Which it actually did in the investor meeting. New rides every year, bringing news to each market and increasing attendance.

Sorry to all the SFNE fans for my extremist views, but it's what I feel would be best for the company; Along with getting back the Thomas licensing.

How long has Thomas been almost dead? I remember watching it when I was really young, but haven't heard a word about it since then, other than the parks
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#17 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

How long has Thomas been almost dead? I remember watching it when I was really young, but haven't heard a word about it since then, other than the parks

I brought up the same issue and many of the younger members came back and said Thomas is still big so idk....I mean I was even before the Barney Generation and Thomas was big then so it surprises me he is still around...but just recently I saw toys r' us market this thomas the train electronic play-set as a hot commodity attention grabber for black friday in a TV commercial so I guess he refuses to die.

As for the parks I really would like to see them trim some fat. I have reconsidered on SFM and TGE...those parks do make notable money and require minimal investment. As for SFA I say dump it and run it as a water park only for now and see how that goes. I still refuse to believe la ronde makes enough money to warrent the addition of a B&M hyper-coaster....I believe that was a true gift for that park....and i still say sell the park but get goliath out of there and find it a suitable home.....SFMM would love it if you could somehow ax their goliath and give them La ronde's Goliath and maybe send SFMM's goliath to like SFDK...its compact enough it could prolly fit somewhere there. And as someone else said send SROS @ SFA to SFStl and I actually think batwing would make a nice addition for SFoT believe it or not, Mind eraser is a great addition for TGE, and joker's jinx would be good for SFoG. Also their pirate water ride would be good for SFNE and unfortunately Roar and wild one would most likely be losses
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#18 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

^they couldn't send Goliath to SFDK. They have a 150ft. height restriction, which is why there Sky Screamer is smaller than SFSt.L's

#19 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

^ true! in that case send it to SFFT I was debating between those two but I wasn't liking the idea of both Giovanola hypers in Texas....but in any event its a good addition for SFFT.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

From what I heard/saw at SFMM, I gaurentee you theres no way that adding La Ronda's Goliath in place of MM's goliath wouldn't blow up right into SFI's face

#21 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

Off topic: Whats the I in SFI? Is it Incorporated? Didn't they change it to Six Flags Entertainment Corp?

On Topic: moving La Ronde's Goliath to SFMM and taking away MM's would be a bad idea, SFMM wants to GAIN coasters, not loose and add a similar one.

#22 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm still confused by this whole topic...Geez. What gives.

#23 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

I thought Gadv seems to try to put an effort for placement of their rides but always far short. Golden Kingdom is the only thing that has comes close in recent years (beside the children's section). Even CP seems to do a better job with the placement of rides. Not nearly as Disney or Busch but atleast they have something for everyone in each section of the park. I went to CP for years with the guys as a roadtrip just for the coasters but the last time I went with my family and found an entirely new experience. I never saw the pet farm there before and my kids loved it. We also saw alot of shows which I never did before. They also seem to have alot more "family rides and attractions". My wife was surprised at CP and enjoyed herself but haves going to Gadv. How many times can she watch the dolphin show.

I think if Gadv simplifies their planning and put more effort on theming areas with more flats and shows (we used to like the stunt shows and diving shows) and not worry about adding coasters they would bring alot more families to the park. Even Dorney has a skating show which my wife wants to go up to and see.

And I was never a fan of having children themed areas besides maybe one in a central location. Having them mixed up with larger rides gives a family a chance to stay in the same section together. Busch Gardens and Disney does this well. At Gadv, Golden Kingdom almost did this also. Having KK mixed with the lions (oops) and the children's play area made it worthwhile for my daughter and I ride KK while my son and wife plays in the childrens section. In fact even the wild frontier section does this pretty well, but if they added something as simple (is it??) as a wild west show in the arena. Brind back a stunt show with a few flats in that section; open up a skating show or musical show in the old country with a dark theme ride and a flat or two also. Advertise Gadv saying it has more shows, rides and attractions than ever before and I believe more families would come. I know the shows would cost money but I think it would payout in the long run.
rjl

#24 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Meh, I liked La Ronde. It was nice, had a nice location and some good flats and rides. A bit run-down in areas, but the park was packed (but stacking didn't help on a Thursday).

#25 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

Off topic: Whats the I in SFI? Is it Incorporated? Didn't they change it to Six Flags Entertainment Corp?

On Topic: moving La Ronde's Goliath to SFMM and taking away MM's would be a bad idea, SFMM wants to GAIN coasters, not loose and add a similar one.

True....I was merely trying to get MM a good hyper as it is I will always place it at a firm and distant #3 on my best coasters collection list because they don't have a good hyper I just feel thats a very necessary piece to have in your coaster collection to ever claim to have the best collection. In that case SFFT really makes out...give them La Ronde's goliath directly rather than the switcharoo

And as far as the SFI...I've been typing SFI for years that simply isn't gonna change lol and I'm esspecially never gonna type SFEC :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 ericthewanderer

ericthewanderer

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

As for Six Flags America - it might as well close. It's a joke; especially when compared to Kings Dominion not too far away. The park can be closed, and all the rides sent to other parks. There isn't much theming or landscaping to speak of, so it would not be much of a loss. Batwing can be sent to Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags St. Louis, and Superman can be sent to St. Louis. The other flat rides can be distributed to other parks.

I have to agree. SFA started to be a depressing story years ago. I think it's finally time to pull the plug after I305. The rides could be marketed as new in other places and make more money for the company for more additions around the chain

Why should SFA close?Wild One and Roar are 2 of the best woodies out there,and Batwing(despite some operational issues)is as good as the S:UF clones.And as far as themeing/landscaping goes,the only "bad thing" is "Mind Eraser" in "Coyote Creek":Great Adv. has "Bizarro" in Frontier Adventures,and now S:UF and Green Lantern in the Boardwalk area.And now Great Adv. wants to get rid of the white tigers :thumbsdown: ?!?!?
I know of SFI's financial troubles-as well as the country's financial strife-but killing off SFA wouldn't benefit anyone in the long run:all they would do is scrap the rides and build thousands of overpriced townhouses.If they keep it they have a major themepark with large housing areas WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE :drool5: -how many other parks have public transportation stopping at the front door?
The main complaint I've heard of SFA recently is the lack of flat rides:over the last few years they've gotten RID of Coyote Creek's tilt-a-whirl,Gotham's Alpine Bobs,the Iron Eagle and Enterprise.SFA's attendance would improve from BRINGING BACK rides-as well as upgrading the overall park.
And as for any SF park not being a "theme park"-THEY ARE THEME PARKS!!!!The company itself was started as operators of regional theme parks,and they started buying up other regional theme parks(Great Adv. and Wild World)and on the season passes since 1999 have described them as "theme parks".What got SFI in hot water financially is the Premier Parks management got greedy and expanded the company&parks too quickly,and then started falling behind on the upkeep of said parks.I hate for any ride -or whole park-to be done away with unless it's necessary(Astroworld,Great Adv.'s GASM)so let's tred carefully before we start calling for parks on the chopping block :sign0023: .

#27 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

Wild One and Roar 2 of the best woodies out there? Maybe if their the only 2 woodies you've ever ridden.....roar and wild one are terrible you really gotta get out more haha. As far as them being theme parks I agree 100% and I already stated that myself. As far as SFA I have to completely disagree SF is too big its done good in recent years of dropping some properties like Frontier city, Darien Lake, Elitch Gardens, SFKK, but IMO as a former stock holder and a patron its not enough I think 2 more properties need to go and SFA is first on the list. The rides a complete scrap I don't think so please refer: what should happen to the SFA rides Also we've been running over the tiger show thing too many times now....it was done because of something the trainers did to get themselves fired due to safety reasons...NOT...a budget cut. And before you say it when it comes to animal trainers you can not simply hire new ones and start the show back up in order to do a show like that it takes YEARS of the animals warming up to specific people to do it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users