10 replies to this topic

#1 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

A few weeks ago I came back from a day at the Poconos. I stopped on my way out of the ski resort to Pocono International Raceway, the big triangular track. I noticed on the edge of their property that the racetrack has a solar electric field of various rows of solar panels. I know the chain is amongst its first few years just out of bankruptcy. Is there any potential in the future they could be financed and erect a solar field somewhere on their vast property? I'm not sure if the park is in the Pinelands preserve but I am aware it's at least near the edge of it. I realized the township was concerned about how many trees the park removed in park in the past. This thought of a solar field came to mind when people talked about lighting with Kingda Ka.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#2 BiZaRpErMan

BiZaRpErMan

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have taken various renewable energy classes in my high school and even have solar panels on my house. The idea of solar panels at parks doesn't really seem realistic at the time, however it is a very good idea. With only 10 panels on my roof, our normal $150+ electric bill is more around $20 a month. But a park the size of Great Adventure would need more than a few dozen of panels to put more than a dent in the electric cost, but any little bit helps. Even the thoughts of wind turbines on Kingda Ka could help generate electricity. There's some pretty cool ideas out there to be renewable and save energy and hopefully Six Flags could incorporate this idea with the plans of new attractions.

Posted Image

#3 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

http://maps.google.c...052314&t=h&z=15

The diagonal rows across the street in a rectangular field from the racetrack are the rows of solar panels.

#4 screaminkid2005

screaminkid2005

Flyers you have reached the top, 3,2,1 FLY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

I think it would be a great idea to build a bunch of wind turbines in a remote place of the park. Does anyone know how much money the park would save if they built 12 or so.
Posted Image

#5 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Wind turbines seems like a better idea to me heck Moreys is already talking bout doing it and steel pier in Atlantic city has all but officialized it claiming that three turbines will be enough to power their entire park and then some! The only problem to me is I don't know if the area the park is in gets enough wind to make it a good idea.....places that talk of wind power are near mountain valleys or the shore where wind is a constant factor....gadv is not shore and it ain't no valley so idk. But we definitly have plenty of unusable land to go round so if we can put any of it to use somehow I'm all for it!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#6 BigDorneyFan

BigDorneyFan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

They could use the Helix Wind vertical wind turbines like the Philadelphia Eagles are planning. They look good and could be placed anywhere in the park.

Posted Image

#7 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

^ now those i could see on the supports going all the way up ka's tower :)
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#8 wasabiix0

wasabiix0

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well, at my college, there is now covered parking for the dorms that hold solar panels...perhaps that could be a thought? Plus, the covered parking would be an awesome perk for the guests so that our cars don't get ridiculously hot during the summer. :P

#9 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

The construction company that is working on the Green Lantern has also built solar fields, Great Adventure won't need to look far for help. :P

sig_kaiser.png

#10 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

I never understand why that so many flat roof tops in the the country don't have solar panels on top of them. The more solar panels, the cheaper they become to manufacture. Add to that some wind turbines and...
rjl

#11 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

The President is supposedly pushing Green jobs as part of economic recovery and NJ via PSE&G putting solar panels on their telephone poles is further pushing New Jersey right behind California for the most solar panels in the country.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users