Photo
- - - - -

Terrible News Coaster Wrapped Ads To Stay!

133 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Ugh reported on screamscape today apparently the ad wraps on the coasters are to stay :( . My guess will be El Toro will keep the stride gum look and KK will replace the Karate Kid with the Smurfs movie. You know I wouldn't mind so much if they wrapped Runaway mine train and Blackbeard...but I have a major issue when you take the tallest and fastest steel and wooden coasters in the country and make a mockery of your own product! It shows ZERO pride in your image! You have the "best wooden coaster in the world" looking like 1,000 clown are about to squeeze their way into it and the tallest and fastest coaster in America to become Smurfs the ride! I really have a problem with that! I mean really have some pride Six Flags rather than selling your self out every chance you get its utterly ridiculous!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

I am not a big fan of the coaster wraps either, but putting advertisements on them is what it takes to keep them running at full capacity, I guess I will have to deal with it.
Also these companies want their ads on Ka and Toro because they are the most popular coasters in the park, and more people will see the ad. Axe only put their ad on Scream Machine because it was probably cheaper than some of the other rides.
Posted Image

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

I hate the ads and was hoping that they only remained on the trains after the change in management because they had contracts for the year and 2011 would be the end of the ads. The Scream Machine ads were the most annoying to me with the mural in the station covered with the ad and the white train covered with Axe ads.

At least the Karate Kid movie was released early in the summer so the ads were gone by late summer but the Smurf movie doesn't come out until August so that will mean the ads will be there for most of the season if not the entire season.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#4 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

I thought the pink, green, blue of the Stride gum matched with the fiesta theme of El Toro and the section of the park. Is this Smurfs movie live action so I could see Katy Perry's picture on the front of the train? Nice pair of coaster wheels there.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#5 jdc12192

jdc12192

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I thought the pink, green, blue of the Stride gum matched with the fiesta theme of El Toro and the section of the park. Is this Smurfs movie live action so I could see Katy Perry's picture on the front of the train? Nice pair of coaster wheels there.

Thats funny that you actually say that about El Toro's stride train[s?]. Me and my cousin call it the Fiesta train!

#6 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

I would like to say I've probably been on the "fiesta" train about 9 out of the 10 times I was on Toro last season.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#7 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

I really wish they'd choose the coasters for the ads better.

I mean, Scream Machine wouldn't have looked half bad with the festive Stride ads, and El Toro would have looked cool with the dark Axe Twist ads .... what would be better is if they found sponsors that actually made SENSE, like Red Bull sponsoring El Toro (haha get it...?)

If Kingda Ka has a single Smurf on it on Opening Day, I might kill someone.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#8 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

I think the ads at amusement parks will never go away. The problem I have is the way different parks (including GA) does it. Walt Disney World has been doing it since it opened but it was done alot better in a way the corporation would sponser the ride. Ex: GE test track. Even though it was a BIG commercial for them, atleast they put forth the $$$. Disney would not have been the park it is today if it did not have atleast a few sponsers.

However I can't see a company going to that extent at GA. Can anyone think of ideas that a company can put forth $$$ for a themed attraction, be fully sponsered by them and be tastefully done?
rjl

#9 BiZaRpErMan

BiZaRpErMan

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Huh...that's weird. All the ads at New England have been removed this year.

Posted Image

#10 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

The ads were removed from the trains here. So it is possible that New England will also get ads again.

sig_kaiser.png

#11 BiZaRpErMan

BiZaRpErMan

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

The ads were removed from the trains here. So it is possible that New England will also get ads again.

Oh, so you think they were just removed for the off-season?

Posted Image

#12 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

However I can't see a company going to that extent at GA. Can anyone think of ideas that a company can put forth $ for a themed attraction, be fully sponsered by them and be tastefully done?

Realistically, I think the only way to tastefully and subtley sponsor rides at an amusement park is to chose things that are relevant. The GM sponsorship of Test Track is perfectly fine because the sponsor can relate to the attraction. Back when Gadv had the two log flumes, I really didn't mind the name Poland Spring Plunge because it tied together with the ride.

On the other hand, Stride gum (as awesome as it is) doesn't really have anything to do with El Toro.

Posted Image

#13 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

I dont understand why the wrapping is allowed on our major coasters....you want a wrapping fine then you can have runaway train or bbltt....but if you want advertising for el toro or ka we won't wrap but we'll put a sign that says presented by: smurfs movie and put a bunch of adds in the line. But the way they are allowing the trains to get wrapped to me shows they have zero pride in their own image. I don't think you'll ever see bush gardens do something like this and they're not Disney!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#14 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

I would rather see Smurfs on Bizarro :P

sig_kaiser.png

#15 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

I dont understand why the wrapping is allowed on our major coasters....you want a wrapping fine then you can have runaway train or bbltt....but if you want advertising for el toro or ka we won't wrap but we'll put a sign that says presented by: smurfs movie and put a bunch of adds in the line. But the way they are allowing the trains to get wrapped to me shows they have zero pride in their own image. I don't think you'll ever see bush gardens do something like this and they're not Disney!

It's all about the money. Putting it on a major coaster = potentially more exposure = more money SF can ask from advertisers.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users