Photo

Would A Great Wolf Lodge In Jackson Work?

10 replies to this topic

#1 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

Now, we all know that GADV is opposed to building an on-site hotel due to local competition. But, John Fitzgerald clearly said that he wouldn't have a problem striking a deal with another hotel company. What about Great Wolf Lodge as that company? You all are probably thinking "It would take customers away from HH" or "There is a GWL in the Poconos", but there is a method to this madness. GWL has a deal with Kings Island in their Mason, OH resort. KI clearly has their Boomerang Bay Waterpark and GWL has theirs, but they still have a deal amongst each other. Would that work here in Jackson? Also, there are TWO GWL's in Ohio, one in Sandusky and one in Mason. There are also TWO GWL's in Wisconsin, one in the Dells and the other in Sheboygan (Whose name is Blue Harbor). There is a good two-hour drive between Jackson and the Poconos. The Pocono GWL could attract winter guests, while the Jackson location could attract summer guests. Does anyone else think this could work?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#2 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Well how does their Six Flags Lodge, which they own adjacent to The Great Escape near Lake George, factor into all this?
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#3 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

Great Wolf Lodge's don't own The Great Escape Lodge. I think that it's pretty confusing to everyone.

#4 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Well how does their Six Flags Lodge, which they own adjacent to The Great Escape near Lake George, factor into all this?

I COMPLETELY forgot about that! Well, this idea might be dead now.

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#5 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Great wolf lodge is the ONLY hotel chain I'm accepting of to build a hotel on gadv property....that being said SFI is in the hotel industry they own a hotel near buffalo from when they used to own darien lake and I don't believe they have given it up. And really there isn't much hotel competition near gadv....why they are so against building a hotel is beyond me....I could understand if they felt they had to keep it open year round but how bout you just keep it open from memorial to labor day....why is that such a difficult ideal? They're gonna have a hard time finding an outside company to do it because an outside company doesn't want to operate a hotel that is seasonal (its a daunting task of retraining new people every new season something they don't have to do in year round properties because the staff stays) and if they keep it open year round business would be DEAD in the winter. But if they do it themselves this shouldn't be an issue and since SF already has their hand in the hotel field I don't see why this is viewed as such an issue.
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#6 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

The reason they said that they didn't want to build a hotel at GADV was because of the local Six Flags parks, a.e. New England, Great Escape, and America. If GADV got a hotel, more people would choose to go there instead of the other parks. That's why they'd rather have someone else do it, so they don't hurt their own company.

That being said, I think a Great Wolf Lodge would go perfectly next to GADV. It fits the woodsy-theme, and besides, Kings Island has one and there are more attractions at Great Adventure (meaning the Safari, Hurricane Harbor, and the theme park) than there are at Kings Island. And, if it rained, guests could play at the indoor water park instead.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#7 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

Ugh I so wish premier parks never got thrown out....the first 5 years of their reign they did terrible but they finally got it in the last two...its a shame...if they had stayed gadv would be a destination park now (SF's only destination park) but instead now we deny ourselves a hotel simply because it will steal guests from SFA and SFNE :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

The reason they said that they didn't want to build a hotel at GADV was because of the local Six Flags parks, a.e. New England, Great Escape, and America. If GADV got a hotel, more people would choose to go there instead of the other parks. That's why they'd rather have someone else do it, so they don't hurt their own company.

Honestly, it really wouldn't hurt those park either way. People who have any idea of SFA's attractions vs. Gadv's attractions will choose Gadv in a heartbeat. Other than S:ROS, what is there of much value over there? SFNE? Please, thats stretching it a bit. I don't know of anyone who's deciding factor for 2 parks that far away is that one has a hotel. They will usually just pick one, adn try to find the cheapest hotel, something Gadv wouldn't be able to pull off, especially with a Great Wolf Lodge. TGE? They have a HUGE hotel(with an indoor waterpark) and are located close to Niagra Falls and beautiful lake George. This, once again would not be a deciding factor in amny people's picks

That being said, I think a Great Wolf Lodge would go perfectly next to GADV. It fits the woodsy-theme, and besides, Kings Island has one and there are more attractions at Great Adventure (meaning the Safari, Hurricane Harbor, and the theme park) than there are at Kings Island. And, if it rained, guests could play at the indoor water park instead.

agreed, but they would need more to get me to stay at Gadv. Some smaller, on park attractions(such as a major mini-golf course and movie theater) would get me to stay, as well as a few restaurants and shops on property, with Jackson Outlets also being a factor, would get me to stay easily.

Can you imagine:
-Gadv(with major improvements, cause god knows it needs some)-1 day to 1 1/2 days, depending on flats, water rides, etc.
-Hurricane Harbor-1 day
-Safari-a morning
-Hotel water park-few hours
-restaurants/shops/other things on property-few hours to about 1/2 day
-Jackson Outlets-1 day

about 4 days+ on property, 'nuff said
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#9 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

Honestly, it really wouldn't hurt those park either way. People who have any idea of SFA's attractions vs. Gadv's attractions will choose Gadv in a heartbeat. Other than S:ROS, what is there of much value over there? SFNE? Please, thats stretching it a bit. I don't know of anyone who's deciding factor for 2 parks that far away is that one has a hotel. They will usually just pick one, adn try to find the cheapest hotel, something Gadv wouldn't be able to pull off, especially with a Great Wolf Lodge. TGE? They have a HUGE hotel(with an indoor waterpark) and are located close to Niagra Falls and beautiful lake George. This, once again would not be a deciding factor in amny people's picks

Jim Reid-Anderson has been saying they want to focus on the parks locally. So the argument that park is making about taking away guests from the other parks is invalid in my opinion. Like you just said, people know the differences between the attractions at these parks. If I live in NY, and I was in the middle of SFNE and GAdv. I would choose GAdv. And I think thats what most people do anyways. What if someone came up to you and said, "Would you want to go to the park with the best steel coaster on the planet? Or would you want to go to the park with the tallest coaster in the world, one of the best wooden coasters in the world, and 5 awesome B&M coasters." Which would you pick?

JJ, I don't think SF still owns the hotel near Darien Lake. I believe the only hotel they have is the hotel with TGE. Which is a damn nice one with what looks like an awesome indoor park. Which leads me to my next point, based on what Divemachine has said.

With an onsite hotel, it doesn't NEED to be a seasonal hotel. They could easily build they're own version of TGE Lodge. But due to there stupid reasons (they probably gave that reason because they just don't have the money to build a hotel) they won't. Along with everything else Divemachine said, GADv has a huge potential to become at least a four day vacation. AND THAT ALSO disproves the parks arguments. Corporate is shifting back to the "daycation" trips for the parks. So if they know that the parks are just daycation's, why would they be worried about taking away other parks guests? With a resort type set up, I could see it taking a couple guests away, but those guests would most likely live somewhere in the middle of the two parks. I could only see a resort ADDING to the amount of guests they have, and money they make.

Whatever. It doesn't make sense.

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think a year round hotel with an indoor waterpark would draw a lot of people if it was a good park. I know there is Sahara Sam's and some other indoor waterpark in NJ but I looked at their attraction lists a while ago and both looked horrible, a few slides, a lazy river and kids area.

Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos looks more like a complete waterpark with regular slides plus a water coaster, and one of those slides with a couple of small tornados in it. If they had a lot of attractions like that they could draw from people who would normally go to the Poconos and anyone else in the area looking for something to do during the offseason. If they made it competitively priced that would help too, some days Great Wolf Lodge is over $500 a night!

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#11 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

yea great wolf lodge is pretty ridiculously priced...i understand they provide a bigger experience but i pass by kings island on my way to ole miss and i wanted to stay there during the winter off season in january....talk about snow it was blizzard-like out there....but i couldnt get a room for cheaper than $325 which is just too much for me. I could maybd push $150 but 325 is more than double my max....and agsin this was in january!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users