Photo

The Chiller Observatory Back In The Park?

37 replies to this topic

#16 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

Eight years ago...

#17 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Sod costs money to maintain properly, gravel does not. It's a simple money saving solution but I'd prefer the sod as it looks much nicer.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#18 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

^ Yes but as we all know they still need to water the gravel :lol:

I don't want the chiller station or observatory to go anywhere I think they make a GREAT back drop to a future "Gotham City" area. The chiller station could easily be used for some kind of ride or even a new coaster's station....while the observatory would be a great place for an indoor eatery. I'd like to see like a "villains cafe" like they have at SFStl....except more expansive and featuring more villains. I think they could even make it as much as three levels high...with the first floor mostly featuring the kitchen and serving area with the upper two levels featuring the tables and seating. Someone else came up with the idea years ago of making a walk bridge from the observatory over to TDK with black glass paneling to view the dark knight. Imagine sitting down to eat and watching people riding TDK right next to you.

edit: maybe even have it be like a "dining with Batman" option (not the name of the restaurant just the name of an add-on option. Where like Batman characters walk around and greet you while your eating. Something SF has certainly been lacking and something families will flock to.
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#19 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

That sounds So cool! But of course, "That's too much money for the par to spend"...I wish it coud be re-developed as something else! As of now, It's only in my hopes and dreams.

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#20 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

I think it's time to get rid of the Observatory and Chiller station. They're both extremely ugly; and even though the ugliness did fit the ride they were part of, the ride is gone now and now all that's left is ugliness.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#21 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

I just sooooo disagree i think they are perfectly good looking buildings for a future Gotham city section that can be utilized for some kind of development. Its tough to get real themed buildings into six flags why would we give them up?! Such an awesome backdrop to a Gotham city section!!!! Just paint the TDK building with a nice looking Gotham city skyline all the way around and all together we have a a very passable gotham city already no further work needed....course Id like to see more though ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

I'm getting tired of Gadv doing DC comics everywhere. They need alittle bit of everything everywhere. I dont mind them keeping the chiller area a DC theme (with a new launch coaster like FOF)but then add a stunt show to it. Open old country AS old country, change Bizarro and the area into a western theme (not too hard to do)(with a show) Make the boardwalk into a REAL boardwalk *with a 4D theater), and ADD to the Golden Kingdom (instead of taking things away). Add to the lakeview area even more of a relaxing feel with an indoor restaurant off the lake and a watersport show.

Gadv can always add a few flats to the mix in with the theming to areas (WDW does it with "the flying elephants/carpets, etc... but the GP (and the kids) love it).

I don't mind SF reusing props and buildings (alot of the GP wont even know for the most part). I'm into being green but be alittle bit more organized. Gadv wont ever be a Disney or BG but could use their ideas and blend it in to what they have.
rjl

#23 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

I think it's time to get rid of the Observatory and Chiller station. They're both extremely ugly; and even though the ugliness did fit the ride they were part of, the ride is gone now and now all that's left is ugliness.

I just sooooo disagree i think they are perfectly good looking buildings for a future Gotham city section that can be utilized for some kind of development. Its tough to get real themed buildings into six flags why would we give them up?! Such an awesome backdrop to a Gotham city section!!!! Just paint the TDK building with a nice looking Gotham city skyline all the way around and all together we have a a very passable gotham city already no further work needed....course Id like to see more though ;)

Well, let me rephrase what I said. If the park has no plans for such a DC or Gotham City area, I think the buildings need to be removed. If not, the park needs to get a move on with this area, because Movietown is already this barren wasteland, and these two buildings are just weird looking if you don't understand the history of the area. Or, the buildings need to get utilized again. An indoor flat for the Observatory, and maybe even a shuttle coaster for Chiller's station. Or, ANOTHER indoor flat for Chiller's station.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#24 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well, let me rephrase what I said. If the park has no plans for such a DC or Gotham City area, I think the buildings need to be removed. If not, the park needs to get a move on with this area, because Movietown is already this barren wasteland, and these two buildings are just weird looking if you don't understand the history of the area. Or, the buildings need to get utilized again. An indoor flat for the Observatory, and maybe even a shuttle coaster for Chiller's station. Or, ANOTHER indoor flat for Chiller's station.

About the shuttle, maybe even a vekoma junior boomerang? Lots of stuff to do with that.

#25 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

were never getting a shuttle coaster cause of capacity reasons.....but a nice intamin looper of some kind would still fit nicely in chillers old spot and utilizing chiller's station
Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 coasterbilly

coasterbilly

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

I sure hope they keep that building and utilize it, it's apart of our history! Lots of these ideas are sweet, especially an Intamin looper :) Anything to keep the theming there in that area, some more flats would be wonderful over there, they could absolutely use it as a queue for something, I hope GAdv puts a thought to it instead of it just sitting there dormant!
GAdv visits this season: 7
2011 Parks!!!
Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park, Hersheypark, Lake Compounce, Six Flags New England, Quassy, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Morey's Pier, & Six Flags America!
Posted Image

#27 Beethoven

Beethoven

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'd love to see something done with the observatory again, but even as a HUGE Chiller fan, I have to agree as it stands now it looks really cheaply done. I personally thought they should have just left it the way it was minus the ramp going through it, and then made it a semi- enclosed eating area. The station is looking weird too, considering it's falling apart. I feel the Chiller station would be very hard to modify, the whole way it is built is based around that ride. And since Chiller had two sides, and since it was a LIM coaster, the building is built specifically for that purpose, including it's supportive structure. So I feel it can't simply be "gutted" out and made into something else
What've we become? I've learned the text not so clear to some...

#28 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

I thought an Intamin Blitz coaster like iSpeed would be awesome for the station and observatory. They could use one side of the station as a train storage area and the other side for the actual ride. The launch would still go through the observatory and all they would really have to do is have an opening in the back of the station for the train to return.
Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#29 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

I personally thought they should have just left it the way it was minus the ramp going through it, and then made it a semi- enclosed eating area.

Thats what I thought too, a nice indoor two story eating area with large windows and maybe even some exhibits about the park's history.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#30 Beethoven

Beethoven

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

The launch would still go through the observatory and all they would really have to do is have an opening in the back of the station for the train to return.

Well that's actually already done, there are two openings in the back of the station already for where the trains went to the storage tracks, many people didn't notice though because of the metal doors in the back. I love that idea though, granted I don't think it'd ever happen, but another launch coaster in that location would be a nice addition considering we only have one launching coaster left.
What've we become? I've learned the text not so clear to some...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users