580 replies to this topic

#31 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

The funatics program worked well with me, but not for my daughter who was only 12 (did not apply to her) But now the 20% off code does not want to work. And that was (along with other perks) one of the reasons I got the season pass. And we ended up going to Gadv alot more than we usually go. And it did work in Gadv benefit because we spent alot more money at the park (ex: photos, tshirts, food, soda, etc...) Gadv made $$$ off of me this year because of the Funactics program.
rjl

#32 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

The 20% off thing won't work for a while. You can blame Mr. Al Weber for that one. When the free parking promotion ends then it will work. I saw that on Facebook.

#33 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

This guy is REALLY pissing me off right now
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#34 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Regarding the closure of the Tiger Show, could it be that early prep work has already begun for something NEW in 2012, like perhaps some type of NEW water attraction? My other thought on this, and it's only a wild guess here folks, could it be that our Rolling Thunder may be next in line to receive a Texas Giant style makeover?

#35 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

I really hope they don't do a Texas Giant makeover on RT. It's a classic and should get retracking, maybe get GCI or Gravity Group or maybe even Intamin do work on it. Do some repainting, maybe even some new trains like timberliners and you got a great ride. They could even sell the old trains for a hefty price as PTC buzz bar trains are a rare commodity that alot of parks would want.

When it comes to a 2012 project, an intamin drop tower seems most likely because of John Fitzgerald said he's looking into one and because of the new management's belief in the potential of Gadv and one thing essential to a big park is a drop tower. Let's not forget that ALL of Al's Paramount Parks had a drop tower

#36 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

The most they will do to Rolling Thunder is have one of those two companies (GCI/Gravity Group) to come in and seriously re-track the ride. The layout itself is fine, and the trains won't be going anywhere either. They would need to redo the skid brakes in order to get new trains. The newer model PTC trains along with Timberliner trains are meant for hydraulic brakes.

#37 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

I think it would be worth a Texas Giant renovation if it turns out good. I don't see a need for a brand new wooden coaster, a renovation that would restore the ride to tip top shape and keep the budget within a good area would be worth it.

#38 screaminkid2005

screaminkid2005

Flyers you have reached the top, 3,2,1 FLY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

I think it would be awesome if they did that to RT, the thing is I personally wouldn't want them to do anything crazy to it, maybe have it be a little taller, a little steeper first drop, and bank last turn a little bit. I would want the ride to stay as classic as possible, but also make it a bit more thrilling so they have something new to market it as.

In 2012, Brave the all new Taller, Faster, Racing Coaster, Rolling Thunder! =]
Posted Image

#39 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Adding a well themed water ride in GASM's extra footprint would be pretty cool in 2012

#40 coasterkid

coasterkid

I'm awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

^ Something like Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point would be PERFECT. I found that ride to be so much more fun than a normal log flume, and I'm sure it would be very marketable among the GP.

New for 2012; A new water ride, along with a drop tower? Sounds good to me!

-Jon
Posted Image

TCT 07' - 10'

#41 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

The most they will do to Rolling Thunder is have one of those two companies (GCI/Gravity Group) to come in and seriously re-track the ride. The layout itself is fine, and the trains won't be going anywhere either. They would need to redo the skid brakes in order to get new trains. The newer model PTC trains along with Timberliner trains are meant for hydraulic brakes.

I wouldn't mind seeing the brakes switched. That way when it rains they don't have to shut down the ride to take a train off. And new trains with retractable seatbelts. One thing that seems to slow down the dispatches is having to buckle empty seatbelts or people needing to adjust the belts.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#42 SouthCentralLosEric

SouthCentralLosEric

Dynamite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:59 AM

^ Something like Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point would be PERFECT. I found that ride to be so much more fun than a normal log flume, and I'm sure it would be very marketable among the GP.

I find it refreshing that when I talk to people outside of the realm of Cedar Point, Shoot the Rapids gets a much better reception. Sure the name is kinda meh, it's a good ride and a great addition to any park. Besides, the Boardwalk NEEDS at least ONE water ride...
"Now ask yourself this question, um...would you be with Jay-Z if he wasn't CEO, would you be with F-A-B-O if he drove a Geo, would you ride with me if we was in a neo"...

-The illustrious Kanye West

#43 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

While still on the topic of Rolling Thunder, there are some things about it that still has me puzzled. For instance, the year it was built and I think maybe the year that followed, the dip before the fan curve use to go almost all the way down to near ground level. It was then raised up. Could that be why it's a little sluggish on that side coming back? Also, at the very end just prior to entering the final turn, you'll notice that one side dips a little and the other side, which use to dip there as well, was "flattened" out. It's ashame because there use to be a nice little "pop" of air time in that spot. Anybody know why these alterations were implemented? Also, if some kind of future restoration project is being planned, do you think it's possible we'll ever see Rolling Thunder restored back to its original layout?

#44 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

no to the original layout part. The most we'll see is a major retracking, train refurbishment, some repainting and some theme elements along with maybe some queue work done

#45 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

^ Haha I highly doubt the theme elements part.

What I'd really like to see would be a GCI re-tracking of some of the ride, as well as re-profiling the final part of the ride to make it so the trains are side-by-side - you know, like a real racing roller coaster. The two parts I would NOT like them to change are the unbanked upwards right turn and the final Turn of Doom, because those are two of the most fun parts of the ride.

Also, I'd like to see it equiped for racing. They could operate like Cedar Point operates Gemini - only one side will run until around 11, and then both sides race until around 5, and then they run one side for the rest of the night. I think that's better than just running one side all day, or just sending the trains out randomly instead of racing them. I'd like to see the controls re-done so that when the operator dispatches the ride, the trains are released such that they make a fair race.

I'd also like to see some Millennium Flyer trains on the ride. They're based off classic coaster trains, so I think they're fine and would look cool on Rolling Thunder while keeping the classic appeal. I would be ANGRY if they decided to Iron Horse Rolling Thunder, because that's not what it needs. It just needs some TLC.

But on Season Pass Holder's Night, I rode in the backseat and it was hilariously fun.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users