sig_yoshi.png

#17 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

I don't think it would make RT very popular with the GP.

#18 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I honestly think if they majorly retrack it and give it new, lighter weight trains, RT would become VERY popular, especially with one side backwards
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#19 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

They used to run one side of RT backwards for fright fest in the late 90's. It was pretty awesome to be looking back at the other people looking back at you. Just another reason why the late 90's FF was an amazing event....the current FF is such a far cry of what it used to be
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#20 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

I honestly think if they majorly retrack it and give it new, lighter weight trains, RT would become VERY popular, especially with one side backwards

How much does a major rehab/retrack cost, does anyone know? I'd be willing to give up a proposed flat or two (not the Starflyer, though!) in order to prolong RT's operating life. It's a great family coaster that, if smoother and had shorter dispatch times, I'd go on every time I went to the park.

Posted Image

#21 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

How much does a major rehab/retrack cost, does anyone know? I'd be willing to give up a proposed flat or two (not the Starflyer, though!) in order to prolong RT's operating life. It's a great family coaster that, if smoother and had shorter dispatch times, I'd go on every time I went to the park.

I was thinking that too...

If Holiday World's 2012 attraction is the largest investment in the park's 65 year history costing about $9 Million, how much did The Voyage cost? And didn't Medusa's transformation to Bizarro cost about $9 Million? So maybe, it wouldn't cost a jaw-dropping amount...

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#22 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

I believe The Bizarro transformation cost about 5 million. They could have just painted a light brown for the track and dak brown supports and paint the train and It's a wild West Wagon Ride. Imagine, we could have gotten a 500 ft. Star Flyer with that kind of money instead of a blue and purple tangled mess in Frontier Adventures... Oh well, Can't turn back time and fix our mistakes, otherwise, Great Adventure would be perfect!

sig_coasttocoaster.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#23 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

If Holiday World's 2012 attraction is the largest investment in the park's 65 year history costing about $9 Million, how much did The Voyage cost? And didn't Medusa's transformation to Bizarro cost about $9 Million? So maybe, it wouldn't cost a jaw-dropping amount...

If I remember correctly, Voyage was about $7.5 million
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#24 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Voyage was only 6.5 million. It's pretty cool that El Toro was 5.5 million and it ranks 2. Well now were going really off topic here. so Back to 2012 Speculation.

sig_coasttocoaster.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#25 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

If I remember correctly, Voyage was about $7.5 million

Well, if Voyage was $7.5 million, a Retracking of RT has got to be less than that one would think?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

#26 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Be careful what you wish for with asking for a rolling thunder rehab. I want Rolling thunder to stay around specifically for one very big reason.....if they can hold on to it for a good 20 more years its bound to get ACE coaster classic statused...but if you push for a major refurbishment right now coming off the heels of the Texas Giant refurb you can kiss rolling thunder's status as a wood coaster goodbye
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#27 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Be careful what you wish for with asking for a rolling thunder rehab. I want Rolling thunder to stay around specifically for one very big reason.....if they can hold on to it for a good 20 more years its bound to get ACE coaster classic statused...but if you push for a major refurbishment right now coming off the heels of the Texas Giant refurb you can kiss rolling thunder's status as a wood coaster goodbye

Yeah, but do you think it can hold out for another 20 years?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

#28 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Unless they change the trains it won't be eligible for Classic Coaster Status anyway
http://www.aceonline...rAwards/?type=1

" * The coaster must use traditional lap bars that allow riders to experience so-called airtime, or negative G's (that sensation of floating above the seat!!). Individual, ratcheting lap bars do not meet this requirement.
* ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to slide from side-to-side. A coaster with any restraint or device that restricts this freedom is not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.
* ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to view the upcoming drops and thrills. Coasters with headrests on every seat, or the majority of seats, restrict this view and are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.
* On ACE Coaster Classics, riders are free to choose where they sit. Some parks' operating procedures assign seating; these coasters are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.
"

Since there are seat dividers and headrests, it looks like it doesn't qualify :(

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#29 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

Wait, isn't Coaster (Rolling Thunder) already an ACE Landmark?
I honestly think it is...please correct me if I'm wrong.

BUT, having a huge refurbishment on it would be :drool5:

#30 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Wait, isn't Coaster (Rolling Thunder) already an ACE Landmark?
I honestly think it is...please correct me if I'm wrong.

BUT, having a huge refurbishment on it would be :drool5:

Nope, it is just a "Six Flags Historical Landmark"

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users