60 replies to this topic

#46 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Why don't they just put loads of padding in the cars to absorb the bumps? Kind of like how the CI Cyclone cars are; that's a very rough ride but the padding basically nullifies it. But for the love of God, don't put Timberliners on it; those really have no business on traditional wooden coasters. I could see El Toro or Son of Beast rocking Timberliners but on RT? :sick0025:

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#47 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Why don't they just put loads of padding in the cars to absorb the bumps? Kind of like how the CI Cyclone cars are; that's a very rough ride but the padding basically nullifies it.

Common misconception. The Cyclone still leaves you with aches and pains, possibly a bruise. The Cyclone should always been followed by a hot bath.

#48 Airkilla09

Airkilla09

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

Rolling Thunder Definatly needs new trains. new wheels, new seats, anything to make it less jerky.

I would have to say Rolling thunder went sour pretty quickly after its rehab, afterwhich it was decently smooth for a while.

Id also like some more head choppers, maybe A bizarro type speaker addition. lol

#49 coasterbilly

coasterbilly

Bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

I hope it gets something, it's one of those rides that could use some TLC, I haven't been over to ride it in 3 years because I know how rough and unpleasant it is :001_unsure:
GAdv visits this season: 7
2011 Parks!!!
Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park, Hersheypark, Lake Compounce, Six Flags New England, Quassy, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Morey's Pier, & Six Flags America!
Posted Image

#50 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Why don't they just put loads of padding in the cars to absorb the bumps? Kind of like how the CI Cyclone cars are; that's a very rough ride but the padding basically nullifies it.

Common misconception. The Cyclone still leaves you with aches and pains, possibly a bruise. The Cyclone should always been followed by a hot bath.

Rolling Thunder actually leaves me that way; Cyclone is like a walk in the park compared to RT! lol

#51 CaptainJack

CaptainJack

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Having ridden both, I'd say Cyclone is rougher than ANY roller coaster, anywhere. I'd even put it a few ticks ahead of Mean Streak at Cedar Point. That being said, Rolling Thunder definitely does need some love and care. It's sort of a tough animal, because it isn't ancient like many classic woodies, but is a tad too old and raw to renovate like say Cyclone at Six Flags New England would be. Oddly, people don't seem to get as nostalgic about it at the park in the way many other woodies are treated by patrons.

#52 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

Having ridden both, I'd say Cyclone is rougher than ANY roller coaster, anywhere. I'd even put it a few ticks ahead of Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

If that's true, I won't go anywhere near Cyclone. Mean Streak is the worst coaster in existence. Even worse than SFMM's Psyclone which... ouch.

^ And I also agree with you about how it isn't really treated as a classic. All roughness aside, Rolling Thunder is a great coaster. It's great for families and it's a really fun racing coaster, which aren't too common.

Posted Image

#53 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Well, in the end I'd rather take wood track potholes with soft thick padding rather than the thinner padding like on RT I guess. Maybe I've just had worse experiences on RT than everyone else because I've honestly had the snot kicked out of me more on RT (right track namely, left side isn't too bad at all) than on Cyclone and I totally think heavier padding (if not a new train...not Timberliners ;) ...) would be beneficial to the ride experience.

#54 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

I've never found Mean Streak rough, it's just so slow and boring. I forget who said it, but someone described it as a guided tour of the structure, which I think describes it well.

Rolling Thunder's brakes are also I problem. I went to the park on the 9th after the rain, and I decided to endure a ride on RT. When the train got to the brakes, we slowed down, but then there was this screeching noise and then we continued to slide until we got into the station. LOL I was terrified that we were going to slide thru the station and I was gonna have to ride again.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#55 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

Rolling Thunder in the rain is awesome. Flat out awesome.

There are nothing wrong with the brakes on that coaster.
They are just old school skid brakes. The squeaking was just caused by friction between the metal plates under the train and the brakes themselves.
During the rain the trim set really don't do ---- to slow down the train. The 2nd set then gradually slows it down as they aren't super wet yet.
The final set (dispatch) will completely stop the train, or if the track is to wet and the operators are idiots, it will slide out of the station.
I was operating it one day while it was raining and there was just the proper amount of weight towards the front of the train where it actually slid slightly out of the station.
Everybody was cool with it though as they were soaked anyway and they simply just got a free ride. The next time around though, the train actually got a good grip on the brakes and it stopped perfectly in the station.

If you have a bad operator running the ride when it rains, then odds are you will be sliding out the station every time.
You are suppose to do the "hands off" feature on the controls until the train stops. If you depress the trims even for a second when it rains then the train will slide BAD.

#56 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

^ Well, the way you're talking about them, it sounds like they are a problem. The ride needs to get new brakes as part of an extensive rehab.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#57 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

No, not at all. When it isn't raining those babies stop perfectly. Sometimes they stop too soon, that is why the second train sometimes stops at the top of the lift.
The train is stopped to far back in the break run and it takes the operator extra time to bring the train into the station to clear the block.

#58 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

When I think of brakes, stop too soon or too late shouldn't be a problem on a roller coaster in any condition; hence no brakes might be smart..but that's just me.

#59 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Can we please leave Thunder alone until it needs to be refurbed. There is almost no nostalgia when it comes to coasters at the park. After RMT and Thunder our oldest coaster is a B&M...
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#60 CaptainJack

CaptainJack

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

The brakes on Rolling Thunder aren't a matter of practicality. They're more there as a reminder of coasters past. And when you talk about refurbishing a roller coaster, there are two very different schools of thought about what needs to be done. You can (A) restore a coaster's past or (B ) bring it into the present. The question is if the park restores Rolling Thunder to its original state, would that be enough? Once you start talking about retrofitting the brakes, installing new trains, doing work on the track, you're moving more into the B category.

Personally, I don't believe Rolling Thunder will ever be in competition with El Toro as a modern wooden roller coaster, so I'd rather see the park look to restore some things, like the original paint job, the logos on the trains, maybe even take the trains back to their more basic forms, before the headrests, dividers, seatbelts, and retrofitted lap bars. With that being said, such a move would also mean some work on the track, but hey, why not? Maybe some new lighting on the lift hill would be interesting too. Rolling Thunder is not celebrated in the way that woodies like the Cyclone are, so I think the park should take more liberties. I wouldn't be opposed to new trains, but the way I view it, who are you fooling? I don't think Six Flags is going to paint it red, white, and blue, add some strobes, and rename it Captain America anytime soon.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users