#1 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hi all,
I wrote a written letter (not an e-mail) to Jim Reid-Anderson back in the early spring with an idea I had concerning a NEW themed section that might be fitting for Great Adventure. It would be dedicated to the sights, sounds and memories of the once "famous" Palisades Amusement Park (formerly located in Fort Lee, NJ). I suggested that the center piece, or star attraction, would of course be a clone of its world renowned wooden roller coaster, The Cyclone. Do you think something like this might actually work? I also suggested adding some new flats to nicely compliment the coaster, which would make it feel like one is actually back at Palisades Park. Now whether or not any of this actually ever comes to fruition, who knows. But my letter was forwarded to John Fitzgerald.

Slightly off topic...hereís a little background history on the original park itself. It was actually built right on cliffs of the palisades, overlooking both New York City and the Hudson River. In its heyday, they had the largest salt water wave pool in the world (the water was actually pumped in from the Hudson River). Sadly, itís all gone now. Itís a piece of Americana that can never be recaptured, an era of a time long gone by. Unfortunately, I never had the privilege of ever going there. I was a toddler in 1971 when the park closed. The property was then sold and everything in it demolished.

Be sure to check out the "classic" 1964 radio spot in the sound & music section at www.palisadespark.com.

Here's the link:
http://palisadespark.com/sounds.html

#2 Coaster

Coaster

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Jim Reid-Anderson forwarding your email isn't a good sign as he is CEO. John is also just the Park President who has little if any swing about adding entire sections to the park.

Sorry to ruin your hope.

#3 Nitro4701

Nitro4701

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

I wish we could get all that but Im pretty sure Jim Reid-Anderson has nothing to do with it as Adam mentioned.

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'd love to get a section like this with all those crazy old flats. I've still never been on a Zipper or SkyDiver :( I could see the area around the GrandStand being themed to a Palisades/Coney Island/old boardwalk pier.

Realistically though, I doubt we're going to get it anytime soon. I'd absolutely love it if we did, though.

Posted Image

#5 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

The parks definitly do have a weigh in on what they get. The parks submit their ideas to corporate and corporate either approves, denies or offers modifications. But the start of the plans definitly does come from the park first before corporate. Im impressed he wrote back thats exciting! But ultimately your asking the park to spend a lot of money into a whole section devoted to nostalgia and SF doesnt make their money from nostalgia. Its awesome he wrote you back though!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#6 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

"Our park presidents are more like entrepreneurs now—they feel they can go make things happen, which was not the case previously." - Jim Reid-Anderson

#7 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

I agree that nostalgia alone would probably NOT be enough. However, if the Cyclone were to be used as the center piece (being promoted as the main attraction), that could paint a whole different picture. It was a "dynamic" thrilling machine in its day, you were constantly leaning over from side to side....dipping, turning and twisting mercilessly; total "insane" gut wrenching, non-stop action from beginning to end.

#8 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

^ But thats nostalgia...."it was thrilling in its day" thats nostalgia...we have too many other ways to be even more thrilling now.
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#9 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'd love to get a section like this with all those crazy old flats. I've still never been on a Zipper or SkyDiver :( I could see the area around the GrandStand being themed to a Palisades/Coney Island/old boardwalk pier.

Realistically though, I doubt we're going to get it anytime soon. I'd absolutely love it if we did, though.

Now that we all know Grandstand and Fort Independence could be on their way out, you may be onto something, Sfguy. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens or does not happen (you mentioned possibly the area being themed to a Palisades/Coney Island/old boardwalk pier?). But I just thought of something else. Due to it's close proximity to the lake, Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, The Pirate Ship Ride, Jolly Roger and Adventure Seaport... do you think it's possible some type of "indoor" water attraction (perhaps something like Disney's "Pirates of The Caribbean") may be in works here?

#10 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Now that we all know Grandstand and Fort Independence could be on their way out, you may be onto something, Sfguy. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens or does not happen (you mentioned possibly the area being themed to a Palisades/Coney Island/old boardwalk pier?). But I just thought of something else. Due to it's close proximity to the lake, Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, The Pirate Ship Ride, Jolly Roger and Adventure Seaport... do you think it's possible some type of "indoor" water attraction (perhaps something like Disney's "Pirates of The Caribbean") may be in works here?

If the Boardwalk were to be transformed into DC Universe, then an old-school boardwalk theme would be gold for the Grandstand area. Imagine a classic flying wave, tilt-a-whirl, musik express, an enterprise, and a classic wooden coaster! That would be pretty awesome!
SHORE & COASTERS

#11 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Add to that list a Suspended Polyp (inside the old simulator building), a Sky Fly (an increased capacity version, of course) and a Unicoaster (also an increased capacity version). There's plenty of empty space now for both of these to be put inside the area formerly occupied by Balinsí Jungleland. But what I like most ShoreN'Coasters is your concept of an old-school boardwalk theme for the Grandstand area and a classic wooden coaster.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users