85 replies to this topic

#31 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Remodeling the tiger area for a dolphin show might not be very probable. Not only is the tiger pool not nearly as deep as it would need to be, but there would have to be new pools built and I'm don't think there's room for that without removing the rest of Safari Discoveries. The show arena would need 3 pools in the least - the show tank and two other holding tanks. I'm not sure where the dolphins are kept while there not preforming or preparing to preform (I am interested to know if any of you do) but considering the dolphins are moving half way across the park, a new housing facility would need to be built as well. Also, looking at the images below taken from Google Maps, the entire tiger show area and the immediate building attached are the same size as the dolphin pools we already have (both are surrounded by same sized red circle). This means the entire tiger show arena would need to be gutted into a pool plus a stage for performers (the red addition around the circle). There is potential in changing up the space to home the dolphins but a lot would need to be done. The arena seating would need to be extended (the white) and the old tiger exhibits could be transformed to house the dolphins (green circles) and seals (purple circles). I've place both attached to the show tank so that both animals could be apart of the show. I also left room (the blue space) for the birds and smaller animals and a path (orange) which would weave in between it all for viewing; however, I think space wise it would be cutting it close. Redoing all of Safari Discovery is possible, and would probably result in a great area if done well, but I don't see it happening.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yes I've seen a lot of screamin swings and been on a lot of screamin swings I know their not too loud....but its too tall and the screams from the people will ruin the atmosphere. Anything put in that area shouldn't be higher than the trees and shouldn't be too thrilling that will cause people to scream a lot.....I'm a big fan of some paddle boats and an antique car ride in that area personally.

edit: localgadv I'm fairly certain the dolphins remain in that pool all year long!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#33 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I think the size of the seating is fine. I feel that one of the reasons that Fort Independence is possibly leaving is because they never even open half the seating area.
I am pretty sure that the dolphins live in that same circular pool all year round. (Along with the Sea Lions when they were there too.)

My plan would be to turn the whole area in front of the "tiger show building" into a pool for the performances. (Plus making it deep enough and having a small pool area behind the building as well.)
There would be a small platform for the instructors in front of the building.
Cut the glass barrier down about halfway and construct a small wall with a platform for the instructors when they walk in front of the pool.

sig_kaiser.png

#34 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hearing that the dolphins (and seals) lived in that small pool all year round hurt my heart a bit :( . I've never actually seen the show so I never knew the seating never filled up..so I guess extending the seats isn't necessary and maybe the 3rd dolphin tank isn't either, but maybe just one extra tank so the poor guys can have more room to swim. Plus, that tank would be nice for viewing. Imagine walking down the path that used to run along the tiger exhibits but instead of tigers you saw dolphins! I'm starting to draw up some sketches (I've gotten very inspired) so I'll try and upload them soon.

#35 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

You also can't forget the area on the other side of the Golden Kingdom Path. I know Balin's Jungle wasn't that big, but it still has quite a bit of room!

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#36 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

You also an't forget the area on the other side of the Golden Kingdom Path. I know Balin's Jungle wasn't that big, but it still has quite a bit of room!

And to expand on that, isn't Safari Discoveries expanding into that area next year?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#37 localGADV

localGADV

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

These are the quick sketches I drew up between homework. The top image would be Safari Discoveries transformed to house the sea lions and dolphins. In the back is the exit to the current theater, to the left you see the sea lion exhibit and to the right the dolphin tank both a with pits to serve as underwater viewing areas. On the bottom right is the entrance to the area (or the current exit) and the bottom middle is a small enclosed grass area, maybe for the really cute piglet that they already have in there. The walkway to the bottom left would lead to the rest of the animal exhibits. The bottom image shows what would have been the path around the tiger enclosure and the glass viewing panels. With the tigers out; however, you'd be able to see the dolphins walking along the path.

Posted Image

#38 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

^WOW!!! THOSE ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2:

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

#39 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

Yes I've seen a lot of screamin swings and been on a lot of screamin swings I know their not too loud....but its too tall and the screams from the people will ruin the atmosphere. Anything put in that area shouldn't be higher than the trees and shouldn't be too thrilling that will cause people to scream a lot.....I'm a big fan of some paddle boats and an antique car ride in that area personally.

edit: localgadv I'm fairly certain the dolphins remain in that pool all year long!

Antique Cars all the way! We should do a ferry-like ride like Cedar Point does, with a port on the Lakefront!
SHORE & COASTERS

#40 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Antique Cars all the way! We should do a ferry-like ride like Cedar Point does, with a port on the Lakefront!

Like Cedar Point used to... I think they're being removed. Good idea nevertheless.

^^^Wow, amazing drawings and layouts.

#41 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

When is the second half of Safari Discoveries supposed to be finished?
SHORE & COASTERS

#42 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

That is like the big question on everyones mind right now that the park has not answered yet. I would be upset if they got rid of the dolphin show and made it just an exhibit to see them. But I'm not against an enclosure viewing area connected to a show tank that they go in to when a show is not happeneing.....basically exactly what they were doing with the tigers.

And localgadv where did you learn to draw sketches like that? I really need to learn how to do that cause I seriously want to get into Disney imagineering but the one thing I dont have is the ability to draw sketches like that......I'm trying like I'm even gonna minor in art now....but the classes I'm taking are not helping me with this I dont feel
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#43 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Not that I would want them to do this but they could move the dolphins over to Hurricane Harbor and incorporate them into a water slide like with Dolphin Plunge at Aquatica:
http://aquaticabysea...=Dolphin Plunge

And Antique Cars would be great, the park should have never gotten rid of them in the first place along with the train ride.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#44 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

That is like the big question on everyones mind right now that the park has not answered yet. I would be upset if they got rid of the dolphin show and made it just an exhibit to see them. But I'm not against an enclosure viewing area connected to a show tank that they go in to when a show is not happeneing.....basically exactly what they were doing with the tigers.

And localgadv where did you learn to draw sketches like that? I really need to learn how to do that cause I seriously want to get into Disney imagineering but the one thing I dont have is the ability to draw sketches like that......I'm trying like I'm even gonna minor in art now....but the classes I'm taking are not helping me with this I dont feel

I wanna be an Imagineer too! Man I gotta polish up those art skills (If I have any) :jumping0032:

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

#45 Skydiver

Skydiver

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

I got to thinking about something and it's just pure speculation, but with a mega-size woodie going into Morey's, could it be possible that our own boardwalk area is being expanded all the way to the lake to meet the competition head on? Of course one would then have to enter into the equation a wooden coaster of our own going into this section to counter balance the one going into Morey's. Now I don't know for sure if this is actually what's transpiring here, but it's just a theory. I just thought of something else too.... if the boardwalk area is being expanded right to the shores of the lake, wouldn't being by the water, combined with "imaginative" nautical shore-line theming, help to create a sea shore-like experience?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users