24 replies to this topic

#1 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

10. Call of Duty Black Ops (Xbox 360/PS3)
Posted Image
Posted Image

This includes both the main game and the zombies. The very first FPS I really got into to. From the story, the gameplay, and the oh so many variety of weapons, this is a must see for any new Xbox 360/PS3 owner. I don't need to go into detail about the zombies, since it almost upstages the main game itself.

9. New Super Mario Bros. (DS & Wii)
Posted Image
Posted Image

From a more recently popular genre to a re imagining of a classic genre. I list these two as a tie since they're both pretty much remakes of the classic Mario games on the NES/SNES. Kind of like every retro remake these days, it basically retains the classic gameplay, while adding some new toys to play with. Anybody, retro gamer or not, should owe it to themselves to check either one of these games out.

8. Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (Dreamcast/Gamecube/XBLA/PSN)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sure it's obvious that Sonic has FINALLY gotten his act together in the 3D realm with Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and the upcoming Sonic Generations, but even as Sonic is getting better in 3D, nothing will ever top the blue blur's original 3D adventures on the late lamented Dreamcast. While they both have one major flaw (the extremely horrid camera), the uniquely balanced gameplay (except Big the Cat's story) definitely makes up for it. Now all we need to ask is: When did it all go so horribly wrong?

7. Super Mario 64 (N64/DS)
Posted Image

No comment. Everybody's talked about this game too much.

6. Konami arcade beat 'em ups
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Even though the company made tons of games in that genre, I'm talking about the ones that have gained notoriety among gamers: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, TMNT: Turtles in Time, The Simpsons, and X-Men. While the licenses are different, they all deliver some excellent arcade beat 'em up action that'll have everyone coming back for more.

5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
Posted Image

Sonic has had his ups and his downs throughout his 20 year history. But one thing will never change, not one game from any era of Sonic's history will ever reach the greatness of this Genesis masterpiece. Kind of like Super Mario Bros. 3, this game took the goodness of the first two Sonic games and multiplied it to epic proportions. All in all, great game. Check it out.

4. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis)
Posted Image

While the NES and SNES had Contra and Metroid, the Genesis had it's own epic run and gun game. As if it's arcade style difficulty wasn't appealing enough, the oh so many combinations of weapons one can use in the game is probably it's best feature. You want to play a hard core Genesis game, this is the way to go.

3. Rocket Knight Adventures (Sega Genesis)
Posted Image

This is probably the first game that I would ever declare as the "Best ripoff ever". This knockoff of Sonic the Hedgehog not only manages to be a superb game, it also surprisingly upstages it's source of inspiration in terms of gameplay. Whether it's the original or the recent remake, platforming fans can't go wrong with these overlooked gem.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (Wii)
Posted Image
Posted Image

GREATEST 3D PLATFORMER EVER!!!

1. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Sega Genesis)
Posted Image

Surprised you, didn't I. What a great game Sega did for the Genesis prior to Sonic. This game may look easy, but at times, it provides a legitimate challenge to all gamers. But what really makes this game stand out is it's music. It's not as recognizable as any of Mario or Sonic's music, but it is still kick a**
I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#2 Beethoven

Beethoven

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

That is a fine collection of games there. I'm not as much of the gamer I used to be, but I had to list my ten ALL time favorites....

9. Sonic and Knuckles / Sonic 3 (Since they really were supposed to be the same game)
8. Super Mario 64
7.Metal Gear Solid (Playstation!)
6. Mario Party 4
5. Super Smash Brothers Melee
4. Resident Evil 4
3. Animal Crossing
2. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (All A's!)
1. Zelda: Windwaker

I'm a huge Nintendo Gamecube fan as you can see. I've sadly not bothered to upgrade to a Wii, or 360 yet.
What've we become? I've learned the text not so clear to some...

#3 NitroKaMedusaMachine

NitroKaMedusaMachine

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

10) Madden 11
09) Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
08) Guitar Hero: Metallica
07) Gears Of War 2
06) Pilotwings 64
05) Crazy Taxi
04) WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth
03) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock
02) Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
01) F-Zero

I don't know if the RCT series counts as videogames, but I have spent too many hours on them to not include them. Also, I happen to suck at GOW but I still love the 2nd one enough to put it on the list.
Green Lantern: a suitable replacement, but will never be the same. RIP GASM.

#4 CoasterPrince

CoasterPrince

Kingda Ka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Nuff Said!
Posted Image
5 B&M Coasters! 1 Great Park!
Follow Me! Twitter.com/jhon2085

#5 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

1. Diablo/Diablo 2 (I spent way too much time playing 1 in middle school and too much time playing 2 from high school on)
2. RCT2
3. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
4. Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles
5. Donkey Kong Country
6. Battlefield 2
7. Super Mario World
8. Chrono Trigger
9. RCT3
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I'm much more of a computer gamer than console. Actually I never bought any of the systems after SNES and Genesis, both of which I still have. lol

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#6 Beethoven

Beethoven

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Genesis FTW I still play it on a regular basis. And if we're counting computer games then RCT2 and Sims definitely make my list somewhere.
What've we become? I've learned the text not so clear to some...

#7 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

10. Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2 (since they are so similar)
9. Donkey Kong Country SNES
8. MLB Power Pros/MLB Power Pros 2008 Wii
7. TMNT The Arcade Game/TMNT 2 NES
6. Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix, Arcade/Japanese PS1
5. GTA San Andreas PS2
4. Super Mario Brothers 3 NES
3. Mario Kart 64
2. Super Mario 64
1. Super Mario Kart SNES

The top 3 are ranked, 4 - 10 aren't really ranked.

I used to really be a hardcore video game player, spending almost all my free time playing video games during the 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32/64 bit eras. Somewhere around the last generation of games, I started to lose interest in gaming somewhat and this generation of console games especially just doesn't seem to have as many games I like.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#8 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

There's no way I could ever rank my top games. The ranking of games with campaigns change everytime I do a run through it, and multiplayer games change almost regularly (MW2 for example. I went from absolutely loving it to refusing to play it for months, to currently playing it every week or so).

But I guess I need some kind of list so you can all judge my game preferences :P
In no particular order:

Posted Image
My first Xbox 360 game and the game that got me into shooters. So many good memories in this game forging and playing custom games with friends. Halo Reach is great, too, but I don't feel like finding a picture for it.

Posted Image
Portals 1 and 2. Amazingly fun with awesome storylines. I suggest you give them a try.

Posted Image

I started playing Minecraft just as it got popular. I watched SeaNanner's video the day it came out and instantly fell in love with the game. I've been playing it for over a year now.

Posted Image

Skates 1, 2, and 3, with 2 being my favorite of the three. I'm not a skateboarder, but I got Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for PS2 when it came out and enjoyed that so I gave skate a try. Awesome game to relax with, similar to GTA or Red Dead. Just pick a spot and skate around. Really great series.

Posted Image

Call of Duty. I play CoD4, MW2, and Black Ops (didn't like World at War). It's a love-hate relationship with CoD. One day I'll love it, the next day I'll despise it and want to break the disk. Still, very fun games. Really looking forward to MW3. I might start doing GameBattles when it launches, but I'm not sure yet.

Posted Image
I love this game. Never played any of the other ones, though. My house is pimpin'.

Posted Image
For obvious reasons.

Posted Image

TF2! My computer is a piece of crap, so I pretty much only play it on the 360. My favorite classes are Soldier and Medic.

That's all for the pictures. I don't feel like Googling anymore. Other games: RuneScape (2005-2010. Haters gonna hate. Had tons of fun playing), Red Dead Redemption, Geometry Wars, Guitar Hero, and lots of others.

Posted Image

#9 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

My picture-less list, in no particular order:

(I don't like FPS games, just warning you now.)

Minecraft
RCT 1,2,3
Runescape
Team Fortress 2 (MECHANIC!)
Minecraft
Portal
Minecraft
Jak I, II, III
Guitar Hero
Minecraft
Tony Hawk's underground 2

sig_kaiser.png

#10 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:10 PM

I will throw in a few "classics" in my mix. I swear i dropped more quarters in some of these games than buying an Xbox or PS game...

In no order...

Defender (arcade)
Asteroids (arcade)
Road Rash (3DO)
Robotron (arcade)
Call of Duty MW2 (xbox360)
Uncharted 2 (ps3)
Tomb Raider (PS)
Resident Evil 2 (PS)
Ghost Recon (xbox)
Medal of Honor (the 1st one)(ps2 or xbox---can't remember)
Dragon's Lair (3DO) --- I stayed up til 4am with my brothers and friends to finish the game the day of my wedding!!!

Honorable mentions... Ms. Pac Man (arcade), Cruising USA (arcade), Temptest (arcade)
rjl

#11 Nitro4701

Nitro4701

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

10.Portal
9.Diablo
8.Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
7.Battlefield Bad Company 2
6.Skate 3
5.Call of Duty Black Ops
4.Call of Duty 4
3.Oblivion
2.Halo 3
1.Fallout 3

BEST GAMES EVER!!!

#12 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

5. Thrillville
4. RCT
3. RCT2
2. RCT3
1. No Limits

That's a true enthusiast list right there lol

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#13 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

My list has had a few changes from a few years back but here it goes:

I used to be very into the world of video games, though lately in the last console generation my interest waned. By that doesn't mean that I haven't played some awesome video games in that time! Now, I'm a bit of a Nintendo diehard, I rarely stray from them, but there are some games that I have thoroughly enjoyed playing on other systems. I just got a new Xperia Play this past June so I've playing a lot of older games to pass the time so I've been replaying a lot of classics.

So, here goes my top 10:

10.) Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
Left 4 Dead may be one of the most advanced and interesting new games out there, but this is the only zombie game for me. Armed with your water pistol, soda cans, and weed whacker you go through so many fun levels trying to save your neighbors from the zombie horde. The music is fun and I find myself humming it sometimes. I find this fun to play whenever I get bored, especially on my computer with my emulator during a boring class. This is a classic game that after years and years of newer games, I still find just as good as any other shooter.

9.)Bioshock (Xbox 360)
Such an awesome story and gameplay. The whole Harvest/Save option made this game more than just a game as your decision affected what would happen to your character. The twist was unexpected and I found myself obsessed with getting the best plasmids and weapons. This is one of the few storyline games that I played without any guides, walk throughs, or tips as I found that discovering stuff on my own made the game that much better. There are many Conceptual FPS games out there that are fun but none will measure up to Bioshock.

8.)Goldeneye(N64)
Here was a game-changer for me. Never had I played a game with as many friends as I did this one. The levels weren't too dificult, but this took 3D shooters to a new level. The best part of the game: Multiplayer. Many an hour was wasted playing the multiplayer mode as we all set out to kill each other in the most hilarious ways possible. Most of the time it would be someone who would get a rocket launcher and the high ground that would win our duels. This game also still is loads of fun to play!

7.)Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Almost nobody I know owns a Sega Master System, but my family does and I played this game growing up but could never figure out how to get past the first few caves. I've been playing this a lot lately on my Xperia Play on the Sega emulator and I'm really getting into the game. The music is great, the story is fun, and its obvious that it contributed greatly to the RPG genre. It's a real shame more people didn't get to play this game.

6.)StarFox(SNES)
A Nintendo icon, one of the essential titles that made owning a Super Nintendo even better. I was very young when this game came out and we originally rented it from the local video store. I was hooked on this game for over 2 years. I would come home from kindergarten and 1st grade and go right to the system to play this glorious game. I could never make it past one of the levels so I didn't beat the game until I was older, but there were so many different routes to take and the game play was simple yet complicated. StarFox is an old standby and I wish Nintendo would release it on Virtual Console because I miss those space missions oh so much compared to today's games

5.)Super Smash Bros.(N64)
Before Brawl, before Melee, there was the original Smashfest. This game answered the age old question of "Who would win if Link and Mario started fighting?" It was a simpler game with blocky graphics and few items, but many parties were not complete without a copy of this game being broken out and people choosing their character and trying to hang on. This redefined fighting games for me as now 4 players could virtually wail on each other instead of the usual 2. Thank god for this game and it's sequels.

4.)Donkey Kong Country(SNES)
This was another video game rental that made me not want to do my math homework in elementary school. The graphics were much improved over other side scrollers and the gameplay was also simple, yet challenging in certain levels (especially that dam Kremcroc Industries level, dam you flaming barrels). This also had an awesome soundtrack to it that I could listen to outside of the game, thankfully this was released on virtual console and now helps me kill time in college.

3.)Super Mario World(SNES)
How do I describe this game? Perfection comes to mind for me. This was a Mario adventure unlike all others with so many secret routes and hidden levels and new powers. I swear that Star Road took forever to complete for me and my brothers. This was the first official video game that I ever owned since it came packaged with Super Nintendo back in Christmas '92. It introduced a gameplay and story that made television obsolete to me. I was engaged in Mario's quest until the day came in 1995 when I finally beat Bowser, it twas a glorious day and the game is still highly playable. It too resides in my virtual console for a rainy day at school.

2.)(Tie)Super Mario Galaxy(Wii)
Did I ever think any Mario game could ever come close to beating Super Mario World? Not until I played Super Mario Galaxy, this game rocks in every way possible. I've enjoyed other Mario games a lot but never had the desire to finish them all the way through like I did with this game. The gameplay was different as I tried to navigate Mario upsidedown and through 4 different gravitational pulls. Making him fly through the air and making him become a ghost or iceman to complete a level. The gameplay is more than perfect, it's superb. I'm still playing this game to try and collect all of the stars because the levels are that much fun to get through and explore. It's just teh awesome in every way I can think of

2.)(Tie)The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker(Gamecube)
Having only played Zelda from N64 on, I can say that I have been missing out on past games. This game blew me away even when I wrote it off because of its cartoony graphics initially. But I played it and kept going with the story and found it to be one of the best games I had ever encountered. They had taken the cartoony style and made it work so well with the story that I didn't even care when I was playing it. The sailing did get tedious at times, but I could still bomb the crap out of enemy ships and find sunken treasure. The bosses became more and more difficult as time went on until the final battle took place. One of the most awesome moves ever is shoving that sword into Ganondorf's head and watching him turn to stone. Epic win.

1.)The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(N64)
Bringing Zelda into the 3D world was no easy task, but Nintendo pulled it off, flawlessly. I feel like I don't even need to explain why this game is perfect in every single way. The adventure is unmatched, the gameplay is engaging, the story is so easy to get lost in, the music is hauntingly beautiful, the dungeons are complex, the quest is the ultimate game. This is not just a game, this is a masterpiece, worthy of the highest honor in any gaming circle. It stands the test of time against all other games because of its ultimate perfection. If you have never played this game, you will never know what its like to play a game that exceeds every expectation and sense that you have.

#14 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Let me add these two games to the list.

Batman Arkham Asylum/Arkham City
Posted Image
Posted Image
I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#15 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Since it's been close to a year since I posted mine, here are a few games I've started playing since then. I let my Gold run out on Xbox, so these are pretty much all Pc games:

Starcraft 2: Currently my favorite game, even though I only play maybe 2 matches per week. I looooove watching it, though. Twitch.tv is my most visited site because I almost always have some Starcraft stream playing in the background. And, because it's the summer, there's a major tournament almost every other weekend.

Minecraft: I still play it, but nowhere near as much as I used to. Still, it's going to hold a special place in my heart for decades. Lately, I've been playing on the Frontier Minecraft server. I don't think I've played singleplayer for a year or so.

Team Fortress 2: Upgraded my computer so I'm able to run it well now. My most played game on Steam. Pyro <3

Terraria: Bought this December 2011 during the Steam Sale for $2.50. Best two dollars I've ever spent. So much fun. I don't play it anymore because I completed all the end game stuff, but with 60 hours played, I got my money's worth.

Bastion: So, so good. The story is great. Along with Portal 2, it has the best ending of any game I've played.

Just Cause 2: Playing in the JC2 Multiplayer Mod (I was on when he filmed that) was the most fun I've had in gaming since playing Halo 3 custom games with friends the entire day in the summer of 2009. Nobody plays the campaign, it's all about messing around.

Skate 2: The only Xbox game I play anymore. I'll play maybe once every other week. I love just skating around and finding places to mess around at.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users