45 replies to this topic

#1 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

A great article was written by Mark Davidson about Six Flags Great Adventure in the latest issue of Rollercoaster! It talked about how Great Adventure added FOUR "Thirteenth" roller coasters in its history.

In 2005, Kingda Ka launched into Six Flags Great Adventure, making it the thirteenth coaster in the park's collection. At the end of the year, Viper was removed, bringing our count back to twelve.

In 2006, El Toro dropped into Six Flags Great Adventure, making it, once again, the thirteenth coaster in the park's collection.

In 2007, Batman and Robin: The Chiller was removed, bringing our count back down to twelve, again.

In 2008, The Dark Knight Coaster spun into Six Flags Great Adventure, increasing our count back to thirteen once again.

In 2010, The Great American Scream Machine was removed, dropping the count to twelve.

In 2011, Green Lantern was added in Scream Machine's spot, making it the thirteenth coaster in the park's collection.

So, I leave it up for discussion. Do you think that we will ever see a fourteenth coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure? :confused0006:

P.S. - Mark Davidson, if you are reading this, you did a FANTASTIC job on the article! :)

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Eventually I hope so. I am tired of parks (not just Great Adventure) removing rides in order to put new rides in. I can understand removing Viper since it had a lot of problems and had a reputation of being a horrible coaster. I can also understand removing Chiller given the amount of problems it had and basically had problems from day 1. Green Lantern should have been the 14th coaster since there was no reason to remove GASM. It was one of the more reliable coasters, had a good capacity and last year was running great. I thought it was running ok in 2007 - 2009 but 2010 it seemed to run even better. Factor in all the non coaster rides removed recently as well and it made even less sense to remove GASM.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I believe we will see it in the next few seasons. However, the "13" count also factors in BBLTT and Road Runner Railway, two coasters which could easily be moved or taken out for a major addition or revamp of the kids areas. There is plenty of space available in the park for a large new coaster, especially the eastern half of the park.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#4 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Four 13th coasters. Wow. That's really bad. We also have 13 current costers and 13 defunct coasters. That has to be some kind of a record.
Really hope we'll get that 14th coaster soon without going back to 13 soon after.

Posted Image

#5 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

I'd like to see a custom coaster, not a clone or a moved coaster. Our last coaster that was designed specifically for the park was El Toro. I want something either along the lakefront or in Chiller's old spot.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#6 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

I'd like to see a custom coaster, not a clone or a moved coaster. Our last coaster that was designed specifically for the park was El Toro. I want something either along the lakefront or in Chiller's old spot.

Mr. Freeze, an Intamin LSM Launch coaster, in Batman & Robin: The Chiller's old spot!
SHORE & COASTERS

#7 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

^parks not gonna go and install something they've already removed. Yes Ive mentioned this long before mark davidson didnthat we truly have a curse of 13....it actually makes me wonder if he read my posts cause I was posting about that exact thing just this summer! In any event everyone wants to talk about possible coasters being removed and I really think their safe...why? Because jershey is going to be at 12 coasters next year! When we first got to 13 Hershey had 8! There is no way SFI is going to allow Hershey to have the same number of coasters as gadv....thays really the one saving grace that makes gadv better than Hershey is its coaster collection! Without that Hershey is the undisputed better park.
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#8 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'd see a fourteenth coaster coming in the next coupe years, probably in 2014 or 2015. I'd personally like a Premier Rides Dark Ride replacing the Chiller.

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#9 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't have the time to go delving into a search but reading through this topic again I's convinced that mark davidson got his inspiration for his article from my postings because I know there was a post that I stated almost exactly the same way as he put it last summer before he did the article
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#10 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I think we have to loose a coaster for the rotation program before we see 14th coaster. So maybe we'll see two new coasters? One as a result of losing one for the rotation program and a 14th to have as a brand new coaster to break the series of never getting to a 14th coaster?
SHORE & COASTERS

#11 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think its inevitable at this point. I'm going to agree with JJ on this one and say that its important for the park to stay up above Hershey in coaster count at this point because its one of the few saving graces of the park against Hershey. I think a new coaster will be coming 2014-2015 and that its going to be magic #14.

The one thing I DON'T want them to do is remove Bizarro. Its definitely a Top 4 coaster in the park and that says A LOT, with just Ka, Nitro and Toro above it. Its definitely a fan favorite, and even a HUGE merchandise machine! The capes are extremely popular, with the Bizarro capes being one of, if not the, most popular merchandise in the park other than ride photos and such! For example, at my schools Superhero Day, about 60% of the school was wearing SF capes, and Bizarro made up about 90% of that. It tells you a lot about how popular the ride really is. While people may think its lines have dwindled, don't forget, its a capacity machine!I waited outside the queue during Springbreak last year and within about a half hour, I was boarding!

It would be a really stupid decision to remove a great, maintenance friendly, popular ride like Bizarro!
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#12 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

I don't think it's a big deal if there is another coaster. In either corner of the park you can see 3-4 coasters at any one time. I think maybe a small coaster could come.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#13 FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil

Aerial Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Perhaps the "Vomit Comet" will fit into Great Adventure's plans once the coaster's design is complete :sick0025:
Flyin Phil

Posted Image

Find what you're Searching for FAST...Try the Site Map

#14 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Oh wow! I would love that!!!! Do we even have enough room for that on the property? :confused0006:

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#15 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Enough Room? Great adventure has over 2,200 acres! Only 890 of them are developed! we have a ton of room for expansion and definitely a coaster.

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users