15 replies to this topic

#1 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Since the park is slowly (but surely) getting back on the right foot in terms of flat rides, it begs the question: Will we ever see the simulator make a comeback? Personally, I could definitely see it returning to the park. Whether it returns to the Right Stuff hanger or have an entirely new building somewhere in the park (Movietown could be a prime location), a simulator is a definite must have for any theme park. One thing's for sure, if it returns, it needs to have a kick @$$ film to go along with it (either an exclusive film or a good film from Iwerks film library)
I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#2 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

I totally agree that Great Adventure needs its simulator back! GA is not the same without the Right Stuff 1 taking it's place on the Boardwalk. As for Movietown, they should bring back that "Movietown feel'' from the 90's with the Batman Stunt Show and the extensive props that went with the area (HBO Back Lot, movie props, posters, etc). The theme park world is not the same anymore. It's all about the coaster and not the rides/attractions that compliment it.

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#3 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

because the sim theatre was gutted I dont see it ever returning to that site. You had large slabs of concrete made into huge steps.....I think that was all built before the building was put in place....thats all gone now. That being said we definitly need a 4D theatre back its a must attraction but its gonna have to be a whole new attraction some year. I still have to wonder what the heck they were thinking with fly me to the moon though! Ill never forget in a q&a session with Mark Kane I just looked at hik and said "fly me to the moon" with a sarcastic voice....no question just the name. And his response was just "its horrible i dont like it we will do something about that next year".....of course thats when they gutted the building for earth city. But did they just not screen the movie before they decided to put it in? like who does that! Id expect the movie to be screened before you decide to put it up a whole year! And once you saw it heck i would of put ANYTHING else i had up immediately not kept that crap! I dont know anyone that didnt leave the theatre going what the (expletive) was that?! Heck they could've put elvira up all year and that wouldve been fine!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#4 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

The Simulator Building looks horrible just sitting there with nothing in it. I can't tell you how many times I've overheard "what is that building over there?". Something needs to be done with the Boardwalk very soon, along with Movietown.

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think Fly Me To The Moon might hurt the chances of a simulator theater returning. They might look at the rider numbers for 2008 and 2009 and say it wasn't popular enough to replace even though if the film was better there would have been more people in line. At Coasters After Dark one year, there were a total of 3 riders in the theater. Even on regular operational days, I never saw it with more than a wait to get into the next show. Elvira had full queues though. I only went to see Fly Me To The Moon once or twice a season, if it was a better film, I would have gone to the theater probably every other visit to the park.

With all the Looney Tunes films available, they could have used one of those or even kept Spongebob.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#6 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Fly Me to the Moon was awful. All I remember how long it took to get into the theater, have everyone's seat belts buckled, etc. Any "theming" was lost during that long wait. I do remember going in there when it started raining, though, and usually by the time I got out, it was sunny again.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#7 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yeah that was always a problem to have only 1 or sometimes 2 people checking the seatbelts.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#8 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

I don't know if Great Adventure would necessarily bring a new simulator into the park. Let alone SF as a company bring them into the parks. Simulators aren't as popular as they used to be. Yes, parks still get new simulators but it's not as often as it used to be, and most of the simulators being put in these days are just replacing older ones. With everything going on in Orlando (Harry Potter, Spiderman updates, Antarctica), I have a feeling more parks are going to try and do a more immersive experience with thrill rides. Could they possibly put a new simulator in, sure, anything's possible. Do I think it's likely, no. No I don't

-Dainan "Just my two cents" Rafferty
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#9 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

^ Yes but at the same time EVERY disney park has a 3D theatre as do most major parks including Universal which actually has 3 at USF alone!

Disney parks:

Bugs life @ DAK
Phillharmagic @ MK
Muppets @ DHS
Captain EO @ Epcot

USF:
Despicable me (coming soon)
Shreck
Terminator

Jim "always wanted to do this" Mosier :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

The novelty of 3D has worn off considerably now that almost every movie theater in the country can support 3D. Simulators (with actual moving seats) were much more innovative and cutting edge 20 years ago. Putting in a new simulator ride to a park is like bringing home a new tube tv, the amusement world has moved on from them. Now what you would want to put in is an interactive dark ride. Those would really draw in the crowds as it is more than just a ride, it's an activity! I think I had more fun riding Toy Story Mania this past summer than in any simulator I sat through.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#11 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

^ Yes but at the same time EVERY disney park has a 3D theatre as do most major parks including Universal which actually has 3 at USF alone!

Disney parks:

Bugs life @ DAK
Phillharmagic @ MK
Muppets @ DHS
Captain EO @ Epcot

USF:
Despicable me (coming soon)
Shreck
Terminator

Jim "always wanted to do this" Mosier :P

Yes, but with that in mind. The last one that was actually built in a new theater was It's Tough To Be a Bug in 1998. Yes, Phillhar replaced Lion King which replaced Magic Journeys, a 3D show. Same thing with Despicable Me, it's replacing Neutron which replace Hanna Barbara.

The novelty of 3D has worn off considerably now that almost every movie theater in the country can support 3D. Simulators (with actual moving seats) were much more innovative and cutting edge 20 years ago. Putting in a new simulator ride to a park is like bringing home a new tube tv, the amusement world has moved on from them. Now what you would want to put in is an interactive dark ride. Those would really draw in the crowds as it is more than just a ride, it's an activity! I think I had more fun riding Toy Story Mania this past summer than in any simulator I sat through.

Exactly my point. No one cares to see a 3D show anymore because the novelty has worn off. Especially when you have rides now like Toy Story Mania, Harry Potter And the Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, which all incorporate a 3D simulator on a moving ride which makes for a much more exciting attraction.

But in my personal opinion, the simulator parts on Harry Potter are my least favorite.

-Dainan "Good job Jim ;)" Rafferty
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#12 nitro11

nitro11

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Great Adventure definatley needs a new simulator maybe open it up the area in Movietown Behind the dark knight, ever since chiller closed that area there has been deserted, you do see it during Fright Fest. But that would be the space they need for a simulator.

#13 YankeesAnt

YankeesAnt

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I wish they would knock down the old theatre, and put in a brand new attraction. Like a water attraction.

My plans for a new simulator/dark ride, would be an old western themed interactive dark ride. This would go on that strip of land behind Northern Star Arena. Along with a HUSS Giant Frisbee.
SHORE & COASTERS

#14 CoasterKrazy804

CoasterKrazy804

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Just a horrible reminder of Fly Me to the Moon.

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Coaster Count

ET- 13, KK- 11, B- 10, RT- 4, GL- 12, SUF- 6, N- 10, BTR- 9, TDK- 11, SM- 13, RMT- 1, BLTT- 1, RRR- 0

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Visits

#15 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

thank you for that reminder thanx so much :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users