Opening Day 4/5/12

17 replies to this topic

#1 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I just got back from the park and was disappointed about how my day went.

I got to the entrance to the park around 10:40 and the line of cars was backed up to 537, and by the time I made it to the overpass, the cars were on 537 waiting to get into the park. It took over 30 minutes from the time I got to the entrance until I parked the car.

There are now metal detectors before you get to the ticket booths, so you have to wait for the metal detectors and then wait again at the entrance to get into the park.

I went to Nitro first, 2 trains were running and it was a 2 train wait. It was great to be riding Nitro again and the ride was awesome as always. I walked around for another ride and with so many cars still waiting to enter the park, I thought I had better go to some other rides rather than going for more rides on Nitro.

Skull Mountain was next, 1 train wait for the last row. The pumpkin at the final helix is now on some bales of Hay and the Skull Figure is still lit up, other than that the ride is dark with the tiki masks no longer lit up and the black light glow in the dark track had no lights on it so it wasn't showing.

I checked Green Lantern's line and it looked to be around an hour so I decided to come back later. Rob was at the entrance so I stopped to say hi and then walked over to Kingda Ka. It wasn't running and there was a small line outside the entrance but after a few minutes of waiting and nothing going on, I left.

The Saw Mill Log Flume was closed and there was all this stuff on the turntable like the ride was having some kind of work done and didn't look like it would be opening today.

The Skyway was broken down, Runaway Mine Train was having problems so I went to Bizarro. 2 trains were running and it was a 1 train wait. Unfortunately, the dispatches were the slowest I have ever seen at the ride. By the time the train I was on got to the final brake run and was waiting outside the station, the restraints on the other train hadn't even been checked yet. I decided against another ride and went back to Runaway Mine Train.

On one train they weren't loading the front 2 cars, on one train they weren't loading the last 2 cars. It was a 2 train wait but after I was seated in the train, they made everyone get out of the train because the ride was broken down again. I waited a few minutes, and the ride was still broken so I left again, saw the Skyway was closed and then went back to Kingda Ka because I saw it was running.

By the time I got to the entrance the ride had broken down again and they had only been able to launch 2 trains. After about 10 minutes, they opened the ride again and this time it launched 3 or 4 trains before breaking down yet again. They actually took the train ready to launch and reversed it to the other side of the station that isn't being used anymore. About 15 minutes later, the ride started again and I was able to ride. The coaster seemed rougher than I remembered and by the time I exited the ride, the line was past the entrance although no switchbacks were used.

I had seen the Skyway running again while walking from Kingda Ka but by the time I got to it, it had closed again. Runaway Mine Train was open with the line to the entrance with no switchbacks used. It took around 10 minutes to get to the station but when I was 3 trains away from boarding, it broke down again. They said it would be another minute but then said it would be longer so I left after wasting 25 minutes in line.

From Kingda Ka, I had seen Green Lantern's line was even longer than before and was ready to leave but I figured I would try to ride 1 more coaster. Blackbeard's had a long line, Skull Mountain looked to be around 20 minutes and Nitro was in the switchbacks. With 2 trains running, it was at least an hour. I saw The Dark Knight didn't have much of a line so decided to go there. It took forever to get into the pre-show room which I later found out was because the line after the pre-show was all backed up. It normally moves quickly but was crawling today and the entire wait took over 30 minutes.

The hologram billboards still aren't working and the Bat Signal wasn't working at the end of the ride (it showed a light but it wasn't the Bag Signal). On the way out of the park, I saw Batman's line was in the garden area.

I had enough since so many rides kept breaking down and the open rides had long lines. Exiting the park, I saw they switched to using the old metal detectors at the entrance to the park.

The lot was maybe 40% full but the park seemed crowded. I also noticed that candy bars from the vending machines went from $2.00 to $2.75! I thought $2.00 was a lot but the $2.75 didn't seem to stop people as I saw the vending machines being used.

I know it was opening day and things can go wrong but this was one of the worst visits I have had to the park. I hope to go again next week and have a better trip to the park.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 2x
Bizarro, 1x
Skull Mountain, 1x
Kingda Ka, 1x
The Dark Knight, 1x

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#2 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't go today. I almost don't even want to imagine how long Season Pass Processing's line was. Did you happen to see it?

Posted Image

#3 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

They actually had TWO Season Pass Processing Centers.

Yep, you heard me.

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#4 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

D to the G to the Raff-er-ty

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

...sounds like a typical opening day to me ;).

It's the beginning of the season, they still need to get into the swing of things
If you see a well thought out and written well post, give it a Posted Image

Posted Image
Roller Coasters ridden: 305

Click here for my theme park / roller coaster videos!

#5 CoasterKrazy804

CoasterKrazy804

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Defiantly glad I decided not to go, hopefully tomorrow will be okay when I go.

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Coaster Count

ET- 13, KK- 11, B- 10, RT- 4, GL- 12, SUF- 6, N- 10, BTR- 9, TDK- 11, SM- 13, RMT- 1, BLTT- 1, RRR- 0

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Visits

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

This was my first time going on opening day. Normally I go the Sunday of opening weekend if the park opens on a Saturday and that has always worked out well but I figured that crowds tomorrow and Saturday are going to be horrible and this was the best day to go of the 3 days.

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't go today. I almost don't even want to imagine how long Season Pass Processing's line was. Did you happen to see it?

The line near Superman was long, but I have seen pictures of more of a line on opening day, none of the switchbacks they had setup was used. As coasterfreak96 mentioned there was a 2nd processing center, where the Relaxation Station was next to where the Nintendo setup is.

I was going to stop to pick up my coupon book but didn't see if there was a separate desk to get it and bypass the line so I figured I'll get it when I go to the park again.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#7 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hope the crowds are light on Easter..

#8 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Crowds should be light, here is my park update from Easter last year to show how empty the park was:
http://www.gadv.com/...showtopic=18144

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#9 KingdaKaRuler05

KingdaKaRuler05

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

You got it about right man. I've been at every opening day for the last 5/6 years now, and I haven't seen one like this. Probably has something to do with schools being off, but it is what it is. I stopped by the park purely to get my pass possessed this afternoon, and was happy to see two processing centers. A nice surprise. Went to the newer one where the old Wii Station used to be and I was in and out in 5 minutes. I had planned on trying to grab some quick rides while I was there and certainly was not expecting the crowds. Thus, took a walk around the park and enjoyed the day. Star Screamer looking good. It's good to be back.

-KKR05

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Welcome back to the site

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#11 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I checked Green Lantern's line and it looked to be around an hour so I decided to come back later. Rob was at the entrance so I stopped to say hi and then walked over to Kingda Ka.

Glad I got to meet you man! :) I'm sorry I was the one who told you it was an hour wait. haha

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#12 OnRideCentral

OnRideCentral

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

What about El Toro?

#13 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I didn't even walk into Plaza Del Carnaval , CoastToCoaster said he waited 2 hours for it in his report

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#14 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I didn't even walk into Plaza Del Carnaval , CoastToCoaster said he waited 2 hours for it in his report

The Line for El Toro should have been an hour and thirty minutes, but for some reason, the ride employees had to hold the trains! Also, one train was stuck on the lift hill, but only for about a minute.

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#15 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

That's a shame. As I said earlier i'm taking the family on Sunday and on the SF web site, The "Chol Hamoed Family Fun Days" is from 4-9 to 4-11 so it might not be crowded.

You said there were 2 season passes processing centers... Where are they? Is one outside and one inside or are they both inside?

And did you know of any shows going on since my wife is only coming to process her pass and do some people watching.
rjl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users