9 replies to this topic

#1 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

After skipping all last season decided to get 4 3-park seaon passes this year. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Left house about 8:55 (about 30 minutes behind schedule) to get to the park and go through the Safari. Even though my daughter and I (and my wife years ago) have benn through it, my 11 year old son has not. Even though there was only a few vehicle in front it took 10 minutes to go through. Now crowded but still took a while to get through and all my 14 year old daughter wanted to do was to hit the coasters.

Arrived in parking lot at 10:30 (paid the extra $10.00 to park up close soince we packed lunch) and entered the park pretty quickly. Seemed alittle crowded but we were not in a rush since we will be going alot this year.

Went to GL 1st, not open, then went to SUF, and even though the line was past the 1st switchback, the switchback was not open. We figured maybe a 20 minute wait but decided to do the Season Pass Processing. That took about 1/2 to be completed.

My wide and son when on the parachutes (wife was terrified to death) while my daughter and I rode the Twister. Only waited 1 cycle but took forever. Not nearly as fun as the ones at KD and KI.

Then we waited for the GL to open since it was testing. 15 minutes before they opened the lines to get in, then another 10 minutes to ride. Maybe it's me but I was worried about my knees (after 6 operations) being in alot of pain. They were not, however my ears were killing me after they were getting banged from side to side. I miss GASM more than ever now.

Went to KK next and it was 15-20 minutes to ride. Seemed to take a long time between each dispatch but thats what we expected for the 1st weekend.

Next was El Toro... well not really, We have only rode El Toro when there wwas no line going up the steps and since there was, we skipped it. (we've been spoiled hitting KK and El Toro 1st thing on a sunday morning but not this time so we skipped it.

Bizarro was next, walk on and could have re-rode it but decided not to.

RMT was next... no line but still skipped it.

Wife and kids went to car for lunch and I went to the "Deli" for my side oorder of pickles (yes i'm weird like that) but now they don't have them anymore. Do I hot the pub for a few cold ones and waited for the family to come back. Went to Skull Mountain with a one train wait and my wife decided to try it. Even though it's dark, she kept her eyes close the entire time and yelled how much she hated me. Came back into station and was able to reride. Now after she "hated me" she stayed on it and decided to ride it again. AND again she yelled how much she hated me and kept on closing her eyes.

Next was Nitro; had to hurry since my wife wanted to go to the Dolphin show. Only about 10 minutes with 2 trains running. Nice smooth ride with some nice air time.

Went to Dolphion Show (or the "how we train dolphins" show). Pretty crowded but nice to relax.

Kids getting tired (why I don't know because we were moving at a slower pace because of the wife) but ended it with Houdini. Long wait to get it and even the wife did this too. It was enjoyable and will probably do it every time we go to the park but the wife was feeling alittle dizzy. Decided to leave to go home (stopped by LJS/KFC for and easter "dinner") but not a bad day.

In all, it was somewhat crowded but now crazy crowded. Did not do too much on our 1st day but was not expecting to ride a ton of rides with the wife being there.

Pros...
Nice spring day
Wife enjoyed herself and will probably come back (surprised)
Being able to ride the coasters again

Cons...
Not happy with GL (I enjoyed Mantis at CP alot better)
Slow dispatching (but expected)
NO PICKLE DISH AT THE DELI
Slow on getting food (but expected)

Most Important...
They need more shows!!! Anything because watching the Dolphon show over and over again gets really boring. We even consider Houdini a "type" of show but we need a stunt show, a water show and even (it not for me but a the wife) and musical type of show.

I hate to say this but if CF had the $99 pp max season pass we would have done that instaed. It's the same distance away and they have the ice show and a musical show. (plus we go to KD almost every year when we visit my parents).

But we are probably going back this Sunday to GADV and in a few weeks might be going to D.C. on saturday, stay overnight and then hit SFA on Sunday for a 1/2 day.
rjl

#2 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Great trip report! Yeah I agree with you that we need our stunt shows back! The shows on the Lakefront have "gone fishing" for almost a decade and the Batman Stunt Show hasn't played anything since 05/06? I really miss the shows and hope to see them in the next couple years. I mean other SF parks have the Batman Stunt Shows still? Why can't we get ours back? It will definitely help relieve the long lines during the summer!

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#3 jdc12192

jdc12192

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Went to Dolphion Show (or the "how we train dolphins" show). Pretty crowded but nice to relax.

Most Important...
They need more shows!!! Anything because watching the Dolphon show over and over again gets really boring. We even consider Houdini a "type" of show but we need a stunt show, a water show and even (it not for me but a the wife) and musical type of show.

You must've seen me, I work at dolphin. Glad you were able to relax for a bit and i believe yesterdays crowd was the largest we've had(since I've started on sat). It was way more people then i was expecting to show up.

And yes it is more of an 'how we train the dolphins' show, but you'll just have to come back to see the summer show :thumbsup2: ! Also all of the shows have been different which is kind of enjoyable instead of seeing the same show over and over while working lol.

#4 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like it was more crowded than last Easter. I guess word is now getting out the park is open to the public on Easter, I think last year was the first year they did that. I wish they would go back to having the buyout on Easter and allowing passholders in as well for lower crowds.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#5 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

It was alittle weird for Easter. It seemed crowded probably because of the slow dispatching and food service but it was still somehwat enjoyable. For some reason this year (and it could of been I had the wife, or getting inside the park alittle after 10:30am) we were going through the park at 1/2 speed. We didn't want to wait for the coasters, or ride alot of the flats (tango had no wait) but it felt it was a "soft opening" or a "trial run". Maybe I am getting too old (well I am 45 as of 4/5) but we wish the park had more of a blend of everything. My wife does want to come back but she is hoping for "more entertainment". I still want to ride the coasters but sometimes a "nice show" makes the days alot better. Even an interactive "Toy Story" or "Scooby Doo" type of ride would really help.

If I had to rate the experience, I would give it 4 flags. If it was in the middle of the summer it would have been 2 flags.
rjl

#6 CoasterKrazy804

CoasterKrazy804

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

It didn't even seem crowded on Easter, I left at 3 and got on every single ride except RT, RMT, BLTT, and GL, I could have rode every thing but didn't feel like it.

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Coaster Count

ET- 13, KK- 11, B- 10, RT- 4, GL- 12, SUF- 6, N- 10, BTR- 9, TDK- 11, SM- 13, RMT- 1, BLTT- 1, RRR- 0

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Visits

#7 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

You liked Mantis more than Green Lantern?! I know GL is getting kind of rough, but it's no where near as rough as Mantis...
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#8 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

The last time we rode Mantis was in 2007 so maybe it gotten worse. But for some reason on GL my head and even worse, my EARS were getting all banged up. It was so bad that I might not even ride it again. Well I will try it one more time, maybe in the front row to see.

I think we are going again this Sunday for 1/2 day to ride the rides that we missed last time. Going to El Toro 1st this time.
rjl

#9 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

hopefully the weather is ok on Sunday, I was considering going then too but it is 50% chance of rain/thunderstorms

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#10 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I just confirmed that on my Window Phone. I'm hoping it will be later on in the afternoon before the rain starts. Looking forward to hopefully a light day of crowds.
rjl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users