11 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hey I don't know if we have an Old Country discussion on here, but here is one now. I was thinking lately I doubt GA would reopen the area with the same name? I mean come on, when has Great Adventure used the same name for their rides? (ex. Enterprise I and Enterprise II/ Super Roundup-Fantasy Fling-Swashbuckler) Not to sound like a downer, but is this the end of Old Country as we know it?

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#2 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

EDIT: I moved this topic to Construction and Future Expansion because it somewhat involves speculation on the fate of the area and if it reopens, it would be qualified as "Future Expansion". :)

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#3 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

^Sorry about that! Thanks for the move!

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

#4 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

It's no problem.

sig_coasterfreak96.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#5 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hey I don't know if we have an Old Country discussion on here, but here is one now. I was thinking lately I doubt GA would reopen the area with the same name? I mean come on, when has Great Adventure used the same name for their rides? (ex. Enterprise I and Enterprise II/ Super Roundup-Fantasy Fling-Swashbuckler) Not to sound like a downer, but is this the end of Old Country as we know it?

Old Country to me is an interesting topic. Its been speculated each year that it might come back with some flats and maybe a coaster and it never does. Its the kind of room for expansion/set-up that parks kill for. Here you have a path, buildings, resources, ride pads and 2 big areas prime for a coaster, and all of this isn't being used. If the park ever wanted to advertise something like what Premier did in '05 and '06, with a new section and a coaster, here is a spot where you don't need to worry about doing a lot of the things Premier had to do, with adding a new path(Although it would be nice), pouring ride pads or retheming buildings(They did A LOT of work to get Balin's Bazaar to what it was), as all of this is ready to go. With the money you saved with these, you can add some nice theming around the section and a great coaster. If you make this coaster revolutionary enough, the GP will flock. Its a HUGE opportunity and I think the park will do something with it in the near future.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#6 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

John Fitzgerald said he wants to fill the empty ride pads throughout the park before re-opening it.

Plus having that extra area open means more staff is required, so I think they know what they're doing with it.

sig_kaiser.png

#7 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I liked Old Country and regret not walking through that section of the park during my only trip to the park in 2007. I hope it will reopen eventually with the same theme but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#8 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

In my opinion, I could see Old Country becoming an entirely different section. If the park were to add a roller coaster in Batman and Robin: The Chiller's former footprint, I could see them reopening the old country themed to Gotham City. I could see old Country updated with new facades, maybe a flat or two, and I think it would be pretty cool if the park were to remove the Autobahn and put in a new themed restaurant in its footprint. Musik Express would have to go to. It has been SBNO for the last 4 seasons and it is in need of major work or to just be sold for scrap. A new flat could easily fit in it's footprint and another flat could easily be put into Spinmeister's former footprint. I don't want any flats going into Pendulum's former footprint because it's main reason for downtime was it's awful location - no one knew how to get to it (Including me in 2002!!)

sig_coasttocoaster.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#9 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I didn't know Pendulum even existed when I went to the park in 2002 and I walked right by it to get to Autobahn.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#10 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Old Country to me is an interesting topic. Its been speculated each year that it might come back with some flats and maybe a coaster and it never does. Its the kind of room for expansion/set-up that parks kill for. Here you have a path, buildings, resources, ride pads and 2 big areas prime for a coaster, and all of this isn't being used. If the park ever wanted to advertise something like what Premier did in '05 and '06, with a new section and a coaster, here is a spot where you don't need to worry about doing a lot of the things Premier had to do, with adding a new path(Although it would be nice), pouring ride pads or retheming buildings(They did A LOT of work to get Balin's Bazaar to what it was), as all of this is ready to go. With the money you saved with these, you can add some nice theming around the section and a great coaster. If you make this coaster revolutionary enough, the GP will flock. Its a HUGE opportunity and I think the park will do something with it in the near future.

John Fitzgerald said he wants to fill the empty ride pads throughout the park before re-opening it.

Plus having that extra area open means more staff is required, so I think they know what they're doing with it.

In my opinion, I could see Old Country becoming an entirely different section. If the park were to add a roller coaster in Batman and Robin: The Chiller's former footprint, I could see them reopening the old country themed to Gotham City. I could see old Country updated with new facades, maybe a flat or two, and I think it would be pretty cool if the park were to remove the Autobahn and put in a new themed restaurant in its footprint. Musik Express would have to go to. It has been SBNO for the last 4 seasons and it is in need of major work or to just be sold for scrap. A new flat could easily fit in it's footprint and another flat could easily be put into Spinmeister's former footprint. I don't want any flats going into Pendulum's former footprint because it's main reason for downtime was it's awful location - no one knew how to get to it (Including me in 2002!!)

Yeah, Great Adventure has a huge huge opportunity to invest in this area. Although it would be great to return to the pre-07 years of Old Country,I feel as if the area will be expanded with Movietown or the newly developed Adventure Alley. I agree with CoastToCoaster on that Gotham City will take its place over Movietown. New flats and possible a larger coaster themed to the dynamic duo and the villains of Gotham City. Management also has another choice; an extension of Adventure Alley. Same thing as the Movietown re-theme, add a couple more flats and possibly a coaster fitting that "All American" look. Quite possibly, is the addition of an entirely new section. This re-theme can effect the Picnic Grove as well adding state of the art restaurant experiences. All of this is up for speculation and when President Fitzgerald makes his choice, we'll know. :)

linebreak.gif

#11 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Old Country will never come back the way it was. With the new Fender Bender cars and a scrambler, the two rides that were most likely to ever reopen now have their almost equivalents in other areas of the park. It's a large piece of the park that a good coaster could fit it into the entire area.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#12 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Personally, I would like to see flats get more spread out through the park, like at the Super Teepee Spot, or anywhere in Frontier Adventures, and maybe something else in Boardwalk and Movietown.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users