Photo

Can Kingda Ka's Restraints Be Retrofitted With Skyrush restraints?

36 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Has anyone else seen the new restraint system from intamin on skyrush? How awesome wouodnit be if KK was retrofitted with them! Thoughts? Here is a link that has a video of the restraints
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

After hearing so many reports about the restraints being painful, and some people saying they would have preferred i305 restraints on Sky Rush, I don't know if I'd want to see them on Kingda Ka

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Ive heard nothing but praise for EVERYTHING about skyrush.....where have you seen posts about the restraints being painful???
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

After hearing so many reports about the restraints being painful, and some people saying they would have preferred i305 restraints on Sky Rush, I don't know if I'd want to see them on Kingda Ka

I've never heard about any reports of painful restraints? If Ka's restraints were to be replaced, I would see them re-profiling the restraints to match the restraints of TTD

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#5 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

The restraints of TTD are banned in just about every state except Ohio! Intamin will not make them anymore because of issues with them. Cedar fair has refused to retrofit TTD with OTSRS and has gotten the cooperation from the state of Ohio to allow it. Cedar Fair did, however, have to retrofit xcellerator with a modified lap bar because the government of California outlawed the intamin T-bar restraint.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

This is a picture of SROS at SFA in 2003 with the old Intamin T-Bars. When was the Xcelerator incident?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#7 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

There was no incident on xcellerator. The incident was actually on an intamin water ride....at I wanna say California's great america but I could be wrong. But it had the intamin T-bar and a lady fell out to her death.....the intamin T-bar is also sad to be to blame for the death on SROS @ SFNE. Both of these incidents the train came back into the station with a properly locked restraint.....but no person. Both of the individuals whom fell out were of considerable large size. Its believed that the T-bar when used on a very overweight person is not effective because in the motion of the ride a person's fat moves around....and in the T-bars case the fat moving around was enough to cause these individuals to fall out.

Massachussets was the first to ban the T-bar after the SROS incident....and then after the incident in California, Cali followed suit and made cedar fair replace the T-bars on xcellerator. NJ also followed suit soon after but had no coasters in the state that had the T-bars. Since the california incident intamin has seemed to stick very close to their OTSR design for all new coasters including the likes of KK, I305, kanonen, stealth, storm runner, etc. In fact with the exception of their wooden coasters and mega-lites which feature the retrofitted lap-bars that xcellerator first received; I can't think of any new coaster other than skyrush that has been built with lap-bars since the california incident.

Its also worth noting that the only NEW coaster to feature an intamin lap-bar in the United states that has been built since the incident is El Toro.....except for this new skyrush model now
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Here are a few I found, there was a lot of discussion about it on TPR

From Coasterbuzz:
"However, at that point I realized there's a terrible flaw in the train design that has the lap bar coming down from overhead to rest directly on the top of the rider's thighs. So after that point in the ride, it was extremely painful. At any point that I would've enjoyed air time in my seat, I was hurting from the lap bar cutting into my thighs. You might think this was just a typical "getting pinned" in the seat situation and the ride op did give my harness a push walking past. But I don't believe it matters. The position of the lap bar on the legs is going to create discomfort no matter how loose it might fit."

"The station design is horribly flawed, and yes, the restraints are extremely painful. Even if you leave the restraint loose, the forces end up pushing the narrow, hard plastic into your thighs. Carrie, I completely agree that the trains need to be fitted with some sort of different restraint system. The airtime on this ride is unfrigginbelievable, but both me and my riding partner were in so much pain that we couldn't enjoy the experience. "

From TPR:
"The ride doesn't really
have "airtime," as at the the crest of every hill (in the front), you
are greeted with torturous thigh-killing."

"^Yup, although SkyRush is still one of the best coasters I've ridden, after three rides over two days I had to rank it lower simply because the lap bars are too painful. The bruises on my thighs from earlier rides made the airtime on my last ride unbearable, and the worst part is that you then have to sit on the brake run for several minutes with no circulation in your legs before they let you into the station."

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#9 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

It sounds to me like intamin is using the wrong material. Save face of a whole redesign I would suggest to intamin that they look into some type of padded material where the restraint makes contact with the riders body. For instance B&M's clamshell is made of this almost foam, but harder than foam, material that has give to it. It just sounds to me like intamin made this thing of all hard metal and plastic and thats where the pain is coming from. This is a classic example of Intamin's just do it and find the problems later approach, as to B&M's lets take YEARS to figure out all of the issues and not release our product until we're 100% happy with it
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

The restraints of TTD are banned in just about every state except Ohio! Intamin will not make them anymore because of issues with them. Cedar fair has refused to retrofit TTD with OTSRS and has gotten the cooperation from the state of Ohio to allow it. Cedar Fair did, however, have to retrofit xcellerator with a modified lap bar because the government of California outlawed the intamin T-bar restraint.

In that case, I see the restraints staying the way they are.

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#11 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

There was no incident on xcellerator. The incident was actually on an intamin water ride....at I wanna say California's great america but I could be wrong. But it had the intamin T-bar and a lady fell out to her death.....the intamin T-bar is also sad to be to blame for the death on SROS @ SFNE. Both of these incidents the train came back into the station with a properly locked restraint.....but no person.

It was at Knott's

I really hope that some time in the future Ka can get not only new restraints, but either major rehab or new trains. The biggest (and only) argument against Kingda Ka is the OSTRs and how shaky the train is. I unfortunately see somewhere down the line a few years Ka getting so rough that you'll only be able to go on once or twice without getting a headache. As it is, I only ride in the first car. If new trains and/or new restraints are added, it'll definitely improve the ride.

Posted Image

#12 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, for a year when we get no new rides, that could be really marketable. Something along the lines of - "If you haven't ridden Kingda Ka this year, you haven't ridden it at all!" It would be a totally different experience and for the GP, much, much scarier.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#13 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yoshi, I think you make a great point, but with Ka not really having any airtime(except for a small floater dose at the top), I think its the best option to go with now. If it really gives that "open" feeling people have been saying it does, and with a little bit of work on the launch track, I think Ka would shoot up the ratings on the world's best coaster lists, not only that, but at 456 ft. in the air, that open feeling would be amazing. And to add to that, Ka could be the park's best coaster(yes, I DID just say that) with a little bit of work on it's smoothness.

And like RollingToro said, it would be very marketable.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#14 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

^I can't endorse that statement. Even with lapbars KK would rank in at #3 in the park for me. There was a time where I had ka ranked in the bottom of my top 10 but having ridden over 100 new roller coasters since I ranked it that high it has significantly fallen off hiwever el toro continues to be ranked my #2 best after only I305 and my best woodie, Nitro continues to hang in on my top 10 at #8 squeezed between lightning racer and Phoenix. Lapbars would never change that. It will be a sad day but I know that some day sooner or later Nitro is gonna fall off my top 10 :(. Which is crazy because I had always been an avid b&m-er but having ridden over 250 roller coasters now I really have to say I lean more and more the way of wooden and intamin with every new credit
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Mpr.

Mpr.

Trollercoaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Just rode skyrush on sunday. PLEASE KEEP THE RESTRAINTS OFF KA! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

They hurt so much it isn't even funny. I can not describe to you how painful they are. I wish they skyrush would get Ka's restraints.

Those restraints need to be HEAVILY revised before they are EVER used again on any coaster ever.

-Stay Posi, Bro-

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users