Photo

Can Kingda Ka's Restraints Be Retrofitted With Skyrush restraints?

36 replies to this topic

#31 CoasterKrazy804

CoasterKrazy804

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

I rode Sky Rush and the restraints weren't that painful, but during the air time yes it did hurt a little but it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it seem!

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Coaster Count

ET- 13, KK- 11, B- 10, RT- 4, GL- 12, SUF- 6, N- 10, BTR- 9, TDK- 11, SM- 13, RMT- 1, BLTT- 1, RRR- 0

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Visits

#32 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

You rode the newer pads. The layout is so short I was taken away from the thoughts of airtime with the pain on my thighs with the very first set of pads. I forgot if it was floater or ejector.

I'm disappointed in Intamin with their lack of thoroughness in engineering. They will build you an exciting ride but I see issues in every installation in the last decade. How about refinement that B&M has? I can point out the lemon issue with Maverick, 305. It's a shame. Why couldn't they build it like Millenium Force? My expectation that Skyrush was going to take everything Intamin learned and solve it all has failed. I thought we finally found that ultimate extreme ride train. It hasn't happened yet.

Flat floor and clamshells on a hyper is the answer.
Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#33 HMNINB

HMNINB

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

I still remember riding Skyrush on opening day; I was visiting with family and friends. The night before the ride opened crowds gathered just to gaze it (and while I disguised my geekyness, I gazed whenever I could around the park). We were on the second train on opening day and the ride was..absolutely amazing

but the restraints, the restraints were incredibly painful, of course, I don't have twig legs however one of my friends was wearing short shorts and the red marks were really bad. Intamin really did something right with the layout, especially for a park that is just about land locked (with exception of the old golf course) however, I haven't ridden the newer pads, they switched them out?

#34 Mpr.

Mpr.

Trollercoaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

To answer the question of "Can Kingda Ka be Retrofitted with Skyrush's restraints?":

No. New Jersey is the strictest state behind California as far as amusement rides go. They would never approve Six Flags to put lap bars on the tallest and fastest ride in the country. Put it this way, Top Thrill Dragster had T-bars while Kingda Ka was built with horse collar restraints.

-Stay Posi, Bro-

#35 SupermanXD

SupermanXD

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

New Jersey is very strict on amusement rides. They will make so many laws. Like when the person fell of the Ferris wheel now we can't be a single rides.

#36 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

To answer the question of "Can Kingda Ka be Retrofitted with Skyrush's restraints?":

No. New Jersey is the strictest state behind California as far as amusement rides go. They would never approve Six Flags to put lap bars on the tallest and fastest ride in the country. Put it this way, Top Thrill Dragster had T-bars while Kingda Ka was built with horse collar restraints.

Kingda ka was built with the horse collars because of intamin NOT NJ state! After the t-bar accident at CGA on the intamin water ride intamin has refused to build the t-bar lap bar....yes theres the toro style lapbar but thats not the original t-bar its modified. TTD is the only rocket coaster left with the original t-bars and thats only because they refuse to change them despite intamin's recommendation that they do! If it were any other park refusing a recommendation intamin would then refuse service if the ride broke down unless they went through with the modifications.....but ONLY because its cedar point is intamin allowing them to ignore their advice and give service anyway. With all new rocket coasters since intamin refuses to put lapbars they have all been OTSRs!
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#37 Nitro1118

Nitro1118

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

Kingda Ka could most certainly be retrofited with lap bars. Skyrush restraints would be a terrible choice, however. They are so painful as a direct result of the new trains and how they come down on the legs...mix that with the hard material (haven't ridden it since before they modified them), and they are just really painful. If KK was to get lap bars, the El Toro style would be the smartest choice. Basically the old T-Bar, but with bars on the outside of both legs, a slightly bulkier restraint, and a sensor that can detect if you are too tall/heavy to ride...THAT was the main issue, from my understanding, that caused the S:RoS and Perlious Plunge incidences.

Anyway, the restraints aren't the main thing KK needs to have modified. The ENTIRE TRAIN needs to go. I've always been of the belief that the bulky and awakwardness of the trains are the reason it is so shaky compared to TTD, not poor maintenence or whatever. TTD's trains are sleek and slimmed down, and they ride extremely well. That rennovation would make KK so much more enjoyable for all non front row riders.
Posted Image
Posted Image

^JL from OTRbasketball.com with the T-Mac sig!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users