14 replies to this topic

#1 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello all! King Cobra has officially opened to the public!
Here is the B-Roll from media day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Vaa4UTV0g

Feel free to discuss King Cobra below.

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#2 SFNEKid13

SFNEKid13

Koaster Dan

• Site Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

200 pound weight limit. Doesn't effect me, but it seems kind of odd. Is this one of Obama's ideas? Trying to get Americans under 200 lbs.

#1 Wooden- El Toro
#1 Steel- Bizarro

Dan_Nixon_Sig_Photo_zps7ea4d821.jpg

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't think SF originally knew it would have a 200 pound weight limit based on what Screamscape is reporting.

From Screamscape:
"Apparently it has something to do with the other major problem with the slide… there is apparently a strict 200 pound weight limit. Since there is virtually no chance of having a pair of adults go for a spin and still weigh under 200 total pounds, it was just easier to eliminate the double tubes entirely from the attraction. The fault apparently lies in a grey area somewhere between Polin’s attraction engineering and the much stricter building codes in the US compared to Polin’s native land of Turkey.
Time to wait and see if Polin and Six Flags can perhaps fix this problem, or if this will go down as Polin’s one and only installation in the United States."

The original sign said 200 pound weight limit for a single rider, 400 pound weight limit for 2 riders so I wonder if that was the problem which also delayed the opening of the ride.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#4 HMNINB

HMNINB

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Count me out for this ride, 6ft 3 and 230lbs, not good. As long as it detracts from the lines at Tornado, I'm happy, although it is slightly embarrassing that among a group of friends, I'm not the largest but I weigh the most. I can only guess it has to do with structure and weight distribution on the actual slide structure. From my observations, the slide structure seems wider for each individual "slide", also, there is covered sections, and the supports seem minimal. While no safety hazard it looks as though it could succumb to weight if the scale was tipped just right. Possibly reinforce the center structure between the two lanes, and add more supports? Hopefully it doesn't bar off too many people to cause a media backlash.

"Six Flags Great Adventure: Size discrimination in a growing population"

After the construction schedule they've had this year, with just about a month left to HH's season, I'm sure they were desperate to get it open by any means. My question is, how do they actually quantify someone's weight? Surely they don't make them step on a scale, what about people who might augment their actual weight to get on a ride? Even though i'm 230, most people pin me for 180-190. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

My guess is they'll expect someone to be honest if they are borderline. I know some waterparks like at least 1 of the 3 Knott's Soak City in CA has a scale for their Tornado slide where everyone riding on the tube steps on the scale together and if it is green they can ride together, if it's red, they are over the weight limit. It was added after people tipped over and it was later found out their combined weight was over the weight limit.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#6 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ride looks rather lame regardless.

As for the size thing: 200 pounds is simply a very low number for an average sized adult male. It's not even a question of fitness or being out of shape. It's simply an unrealistic weight expectation. For perspective, I'm in the gym a good deal, and bench double that with relative ease. The only way I could conceivably make the weight limit, would for me to literally stop lifting weights and packing on muscle. This almost turns the ride into a combination Kiddie/Woman's ride....

and if a woman can't ride it... I hope she's wearing a one piece.... :sign0082:
Mangar
Lucid Vision

#7 NYlovesGA

NYlovesGA

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

interesting, i remember in the trailers, you can ride with 2 people using a double tube. still lookin fwd to ride this though

#8 natfrolic

natfrolic

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Wow- 200 is very limiting. My husband is only 5'11" so about average for a man and he weighs in at 200 with an average physique. Any men above average in height who aren't slender will not be able to ride. Can you imagine if they tried a dry ride with limitations like this?
Learned to love coasters on Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze in Rochester, NY

#9 robertleax

robertleax

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

A few years back I went on a diet, wore 34" jeans and still weighed 205 lbs. Of course now i'm slightly more but the weight limit seems alittle low.
rjl

#10 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

A few years back I went on a diet, wore 34" jeans and still weighed 205 lbs. Of course now i'm slightly more but the weight limit seems alittle low.

Bingo

I'm a 32' Waist, and fluctuate between 215-230 pounds, depending on the time of year, what I'm training, etc.. etc..
Mangar
Lucid Vision

#11 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hurricane Harbor doesn't have these kinds of restrictions on their other slides, so I'm guessing (and hoping) that they're trying to get rid of the weight limit asap. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon or else King Cobra might not last long :(

Posted Image

#12 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Rode King Cobra today for the first time after waiting about 30-40mins, and that was with the line quarter of the way full. While it's nothing spectacular, I did really enjoy the ride...it will have long lines that is for sure so it should be priority 1 or 2 (if you go to Tornado first) to ride otherwise expect to wait over an hour as it's line will fill up really fast. As for the ride itself, I liked the theme of the ride and the matching snake themed tubes as well (cobra heads on the front for the win! lol) When sitting in the start section of the ride you really gotta hold on to those bars until you're told to go because the current is fairly strong and will kicking you out really quick if you let go. Upon entering the first turn the ride gradually coasts along and doesn't seem to be too thrilling but as you enter the second turn (left) you will pick up speed really quick and that's when the ride really becomes fun as you will notice that by the time you enter the straight away you're moving at a pretty good clip. This is where you really need to be holding on tight because as you approach the drop it's not just a gradual slide down and speed up...it's basically more like the bottom dropping out from underneath and the acceleration while short lived is very sudden, the second reason why you need to hold on tight is that when the tube hits the bottom, there is some sort of water jet type bumper system to slow you down so you don't slide up and hit the top of the cobra's mouth (some people mainly larger of size will still make it pretty high up). But as you hit that part of the ride, it's like being bucked off a bull and you can get ejected off the tube if you aren't holding on tight I think. It caught me by surprise but I held on lol, and me being a smaller sized person I was happy to at least reach the cobra's mouth xD Then you valley back and forth a few times while even spinning around a few times before coming to a stop and hopping off. I believe they even take your picture when you're riding it, I saw someone standing there later in the day with a camera, had she been there when I rode I would've considered buying my picture. Overall I enjoyed my experience on the ride and will definitely ride it at least once every time I go. Pros: Nice new addition to the park, great theme for a slide (tubes being snake themed score extra points), great finish to the ride. Cons: Long lines can be expected, and the 200lb weight limit must be addressed, there is a scale right at the entrance that you must step on to make sure you aren't over the 200lb mark...me being a smaller sized person I didn't even have to step on! xD Overall I give King Cobra a 8 out of 10.

#13 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Cons: Long lines can be expected, and the 200lb weight limit must be addressed, there is a scale right at the entrance that you must step on to make sure you aren't over the 200lb mark...me being a smaller sized person I didn't even have to step on! xD Overall I give King Cobra a 8 out of 10.

They should put a camera near that scale. The footage of women arguing over weight issues could be a reality show....

Employee: "Excuse me Ma'am, but you need to step on the scale before you ride. There's a 200 pound weight limit."

Angry Fattie: "YOU CALLING ME FAT?!?! You Saying I look over 200 pounds?!?!"

Employee: "Err umm no.. But you see it's policy, everyone has to step on it."

Angry Fattie: "Oh yeah, (points at size 2 thin chick) SHE didn't have to step on it? You think I'm fat? You calling me fat? You sayin I look over 200 pounds!!!????"

Angry Fattie's Husband: "YOU CALLING MY WIFE FAT? Say it again ---hole, and we're gonna have problems!"

Employee: "Err ummmm you see... uhh.. F*ck it.. I quit." (Applies for a job on the boardwalk)

Hell, I'm debating canceling cable, buying a season pass and just parking a beach chair next to the scale. Has to be more amusing then most of whats on TV....
Mangar
Lucid Vision

#14 CoasterKrazy804

CoasterKrazy804

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm disappointed with this ride. Number 1 when I'm on it I go like 2 mph, what happened to the 32 mph or whatever they said. Number 2 I have to bring my knees up to my chest cause if my feet were extended out I would be hitting the walls and possibly get stuck and number 3 it's really not that fun of a ride in my opinion.

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Coaster Count

ET- 13, KK- 11, B- 10, RT- 4, GL- 12, SUF- 6, N- 10, BTR- 9, TDK- 11, SM- 13, RMT- 1, BLTT- 1, RRR- 0

2012 Six Flags Great Adventure Visits

#15 PsiRockin

PsiRockin

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

The weight thing is too bad. I'm 6'6" and like 202lbs, ugh. I was hoping of going on the ride this year, I guess it doesn't matter now. Well then, offseason goal? Plus, that means 2 new slides for me next year! :D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users