#1 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

See all of my pictures from the day HERE

So me and SFGAdv10 decided to hit the park on Friday for Great Adventure Online day, and the Kingda Ka backstage tour. We arrived at the park around 2:45 and quickly made our way over to Skyscreamer which Darren (SFGAdv10) had not gotten the chance to ride yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We waited in Skyscreamer's queue for about 5 minutes, surprisingly quick. Its amazing how efficiently they have been running it lately. Just as we were about to board the ride, they announced that it would be closing due to the approaching thunderstorms. We had no choice but to leave and make our way to Nitro which thankfully was still open at the time. After Nitro we decided to ride Batman which I hadn't ridden yet this season. The line was longer than that of Nitro and we had to wait in the staircase. Normally, that wouldn't be much of an issue but it was well over 90 degrees and the queue was hot and wreaked of sweat. Finally we got up to the station where fans provided some relief from the heat. Strangely there were only a few people waiting for the second row so thats where we decided to ride however when the next train entered the station, they decided to close the ride because the thunderstorms that closed Skyscreamer were now practically on top of us.
Posted Image
After exiting back through the hot smelly queue we heard the first crack of thunder and realized we weren't going to be riding any more coasters for at least another hour so we got in line for Deja Vu which didn't close during the thunderstorm. By the time we were done with Deja Vu, it was already 5:15 so we decided to stay near Main Street where we would have to meet for the Kingda Ka backstage tour at 6:40. BBLTT, Swashbuckler, and Air Jumbo were all closed due to the weather (although it still wasn't raining yet) but Jolly Roger was still open. We rode that and it was surprisingly fun for such a small ride! After Jolly Roger we made our way back through Adventure Alley towards Main Street for the tour. We got to the statue and met up with everyone for the tour just as the opened up and it started to pour. We all took shelter under the awning of a shop on Main Street until 6:00 at which point we started walking over towards Ka for the tour. When we got there we learned that the tour would be delayed because part of the park had lost power and whoever was going to give us the tour was dealing with that issue. We waited by Kingda Ka's onride photo booth for about 2 hours in which time we got our orange vests and took a group photo.
Posted Image
Finally Kingda Ka reopened and soon after Robbie Towns showed up to give us the tour. We crossed over the station via the rides exit and entered the old queue were we saw some of green train's fiberglass shell.
Posted Image
The tour then took us down past the transfer tracks to an open area where we took some photos of the launch track.
Posted Image
Soon after we saw the first launch that took place while we were under the ride. The tour then moved down along the launch track towards the tower. This was particularly interesting because we were able to see what remained of the old queue's switchbacks, and as it turned out....not much. The covered section has been boarded up and is being used as storage. Other than that, pretty much all that remains is some heavily grown in concrete pads and a tunnel under the launch track.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We then found ourselves in the field of gravel that is under the far section of Ka's infield. After hanging around in the infield for a while, we finally went under the tower
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
We stayed under the tower for about a half hour until Josh asked Robbie if we could go in the hydro-room. Robbie went off to ask if it was ok which it was under the conditions that we don't take any pictures. Everyone crammed inside and the mechanic guy (forgot his name) who was in there told us about the gigantic motor that drags that reels in the launch cable and information about how the ride runs in general. After the hydro-room, there was not much left to see so we all walked back towards the station. The crew in the station was really awesome and they let us ride without waiting in line. When we got of, Darren and I sprinted over to El Toro and some lady let us go in front of her so we scored the backsteat. Next up was Bizarro which had no line. After Bizarro we walked over to Skyscreamer and this time we actually rode it. (EDIT: Darren reminded me that he freaked out on Skyscreamer :tongue0011: , thought that was worth mentioning)Then the park closed and we left.

#2 SFNEKid13

SFNEKid13

Koaster Dan

• Site Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Awesome pictures! I'm so jealous you got to go on that tour.

#1 Wooden- El Toro
#1 Steel- Bizarro

Dan_Nixon_Sig_Photo_zps7ea4d821.jpg

#3 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Great report, it's a shame to see the old queue like that but I guess they really didn't have a choice about reopening it.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#4 SFGAdv10

SFGAdv10

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Jolly Roger. :anim_63: Nice pictures. You never told them about my reaction to Sky Screamer while riding. haha

#5 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Jolly Roger. :anim_63: Nice pictures. You never told them about my reaction to Sky Screamer while riding. haha

Oh yeah, you were kind of freaking out :P Forgot about that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users