117 replies to this topic

#91 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Wasn't the Spider of Doom Angel's thing to play with everyone?

#92 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

^Resurrection of Spider of Doom?

We know our addition for 2013, and nothing that we know of, right now, is expected to be removed. The last time the Spider of Doom showed meaning was when Medusa was being painted during Fright Fest, and the ride was 3/4 Green and purple, 1/4 Dark blue and dark purple, which looked nasty.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#93 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

^Well there is a rumor that the Conestoga Wagon by the Norther Star Arena will be taken down next year. I would like to see the spider return!

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#94 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes Angel liked to play with us with the spider of doom.....but the spider's legacy is way older than Angel was with the park! The first time the spider worked its infectous dooming was on the old action theatre in 1998...which was demolished over the offseason to make way for BBLTT. If Im not mistaken though I think it popped.... The last time it made an appearance that actually meant death for its subject was on MTWE...but it was not blown up it was just draped over the station. The next year Angel played with us moving it around to different locations but again I believe it wasnt blown up but i could be wrong. I dont believe the spider has been seen since '08 fright fest....I think its since been thrown out cause it was popped....Angel's moving it around was (I think) her way of giving it its final send off

Heres a question for you...not counting the year angel moved it around...what objects have survived having the spider of doom
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#95 567themeparkluva65

567themeparkluva65

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

I love the Houdini outline! I think making a trail out of Houdini is awesome! They should make the outdoor waiting line a graveyard and maybe have some ghouls scare you while you wait. But Houdini is big enough I think for a indoor haunt. If New England's Houdini becomes a haunted house, so should ours!!! My two big ideas for Fright Fest would be a Houdini haunted house, and some cool stuff added to Skully just for Fright Fest. That would be epic!!!

#96 JerseyDevil95

JerseyDevil95

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

What time does the park open and close today for fright fest preview night?

#97 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Supposedly the hours are 6 to 11, I emailed the park and that is what they told me but others heard the hours are 6 to 10

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#98 Rob

Rob

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

No it is 6-11. lol

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2011- Foods
Six Flags Great Adventure Team Member 2012- Rides - Green Lantern
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

Total Roller Coasters I've been on: 162

#99 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I actually like the idea of making our houdini into a haunt trail and I absolutely think it can be done with a little creative cutaining...

The problem is JJ that you only have 3 or so feasible "unforeseen jump scare" areas with that design. The rest you'd have to place people around corners, which guests always assume someone is going to be which usually curbs the reaction, and with the cramming you might have guests jumping back into the walls (the tight quarters also can tip guests off as to where scare-actors are because they can hear someone scream, which isn't ideal). Still, it's not bad, a little less back and forth "queue" action on it might work out for the better though (even though it would surely help capacity). Anyone who's been to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando knows the tight maze portions of a house are only there as a piece of psychological paranoia (unless its part of the theme) so that when you get to a more open space, the scare-actors are able to ambush you. The use of ride space you drew up would be perfect for the "looks far away/actually right beside you" mirror trick!

KC

ChillerBrokenWingsKCRIPSig.png
"I remember the chill that came over, as everything I loved went falling...
Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

Six Flags Great Adventure 2006 RCT2 Re-Creation: 76%
--Dead Man's Party '06 will never be topped...but '09 came damn close!--

#100 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Preview night was dead...lol

linebreak.gif
Six Flags Great Adventure Unit Supervisor 2013- Rides - Superman: Ultimate Flight

#101 Devins3

Devins3

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Yea it was great drove 4 hrs which turned into 5 1/2 hrs due to traffic. I didn't get there till 730 because of it but managed to get 1 ride on kk,2 on el toro,1 on rolling thunder, 1 on bizarro, and 4 on nitro. Not to shabby for 2 1/2 hrs at the park, best part was it was all at night. I think I got more rides than if I went all day on a regular ff day so I think the 9 hrs of driving was well worth it :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Nitro is the greatest ride ever.

#102 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm going to go on a little rant. First of all, I just want to say I enjoyed the Fright Fest this year, to a certain point. Like last year, there were barely any ghosts around in the midways. Like really? We need more people for the midways!!! Its not scary just to see maybe 4 people scaring guests. We were in Bone Butchery's Territory today, and we saw 2 people. I know it is important to stuff the Terror Trails with scare actors, but couldn't you ad more people around the park? Circus Psycho is a disappointment now. It is only one mid section of the Boardwalk. They play radio music around at the game stalls. It is not scary AT ALL! The clown actors are the best at scaring people, but they should have rethought the idea of the "new" location of the Circus. Again, there was barely anybody near Main Street. The crew decided to see the Awakening and DMP. I was so infuriated with what they did with the show! They started off with the Thriller, while Dr. Fright was still dead. Then, they woke him up! I did like DMP a lot with the new music and dance choreography. We didn't get to see the original DMP since the park was rained out. Next visit we will see the original DMP along with Ghoul Master's Ghost! I know its only opening weekend, but hopefully, it will be better as time progresses.

linebreak.gif

#103 CH101

CH101

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

For anyone that went to Fright Fest already, what are the terror trail prices this year? Do they have a combo pack like last year?

#104 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Courtesy Great Adventure History:

Posted Image

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#105 KillerChiller

KillerChiller

Freeze Well...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

First impressions of the event from the Narrative Nerd of the site. These are what myself and iChill were able to hit up last night.

The Awakening:
Fantastic. The re-written script is definitely an upgrade over the previous one. The dialog is much more natural, and furthers the personalities of characters like Raven. It also makes the entire thing feel more like an actual show rather than just an opening ceremonies formality. Although the repeated mention of the move to Movietown was a bit unnecessary, the rest of it was extremely enjoyable. The move of the Thriller dance to earlier in the show was initially questionable I admit, but when they find a much better "unleash the creatures" song like Calling All The Monsters, it becomes unquestionably a good decision. Which was actually my biggest surprise, the show was so well done that it took a song that usually annoys me, and made me completely love its inclusion. The only knock I can think of is that I still REALLY wish they would find a way to bring back that epic "puppeteer" dance from 2009 that the Ghoulmaster did with the servants. Other than that, this was another great evolutionary step for the opening scaremonies.
Initial Grade: A-

Dead Man's Party -- The Guest List:
Sometimes change is for the better. Sometimes it's not. Sadly, The Guest List has to fall into the latter category for me. iChill said it to me roughly half-way through the show: "The songs feel like songs with slower tempos that have been poorly remixed." He's right to an extent -- none of them have the natural groove that most of the songs from the previous years had, it always feels forced. They start out with Living Dead Girl, which is a great choice (it doesn't touch Meet The Creeper, but I digress), but then the basically dissolves to more and more questionable song choices from there on in. The new soundtrack is so forgettable, as I type this I can't think of one number that really stood out to me aside from the aforementioned Rob Zombie choice.

I would give this an F grade, but I feel that's not right. The cast worked their asses off, and it shows. This is easily one of the most talented casts in recent memory for DMP, but talent is worthless if the people around don't know how to utilize it to it's fullest potential (I should know, I'm a Philadelphia sports fan).

The biggest problem I have (and this is really a problem with all of the shows, but I find it extremely prevalent in DMP), is the back-story -- or lack thereof. I suppose this isn't a bad thing, because the story on the website reads like it was written by a time-crunched 5th grader who was asked to write a "scary story" that includes a party. The problem is, what is the point of putting back-stories up if it doesn't matter at all to the show? It holds absolutely zero value to the event if it only shows up in the depths of cyberspace and has no physical manifestation of it present at the actual event. The show still hasn't evolved to anything but a haphazard montage, even though I'm almost certain quick narrative passages between numbers wouldn't actually harm the show's overall runtime too much. To me, the current iteration of DMP hit it's peak 6 years ago. It had another high ascension 3 years ago, but that still fell just short of the heights 2006 obtained. That probably should've been the hint that the current format of the show has reached it's creative ceiling, and that it's time to look into ways of evolving the show into something more than what it's been all these years.
Initial Grade: D+

Ghoulmaster's Ghosts:
The thing that always pisses me off about GG is that it has so much potential and could become the greatest theatrical production put on in the park if whoever wrote it would attempt to give the show an overall narrative arc, and fully grasp basic narrative structure and pacing. There are more narrative driven interludes in this year's show (much to my delight), but the problem is that their placement is atrocious. Nothing connects to anything else in any sort of logical way. Things just happen because. There's a humorous little interlude between Raven, Bill and Chester looking for a treasure, but this is immediately followed by a bit where two gargoyle heads are talking to each-other. I sat there not only wondering what the gargoyles had to do with ANYTHING I just saw with the Ghouls, but also wondering why this was placed in the middle of the show and not used as either a pre-show bit or near the beginning.

The best effect and climax of the "story" happens in the middle, and is then completely forgotten. If this was an attempt at a five-act structure, it failed due to the falling action and resolution never being affected by the climax. It's clearly something that should've been put at the end of the show, where the dramatic tension could reach it's peak, and allow the crescendo moment to have the biggest impact. Yet here it was, smack dab at the 15 minute mark of a half-hour show. I couldn't help but feel like an adult who caught a child playing with non-linear narrative while watching. Non-linear narrative is probably THE hardest structure to pull off in theater correctly, so it's usually best to just stick with basic linear progression, which I think really is the biggest fault GG claims. After all, it doesn't make you more "artsy" if more people leave the theater completely oblivious of what the message of your narrative was supposed to be. On the contrary, it means that you haven't done your job as a storyteller and completely missed the opportunity of opening up a genuine connection with your audience. In the storytelling circles, that's usually cardinal sin #1.
Initial Grade: C

First weekends are usually a horrible gauge of an haunt event as far as scarezones and mazes, because the scare-actors are still getting acclimated to their surroundings and what not. iChill and I were talking and I think we'll be looking into the 25 dollar pass for the rest of Fright Fest next weekend, so I'll try to get some impressions of the trails and scarezones for next weekend. I'll also be seeing the shows again and noting any significant progressions / regressions that occur.

KC

ChillerBrokenWingsKCRIPSig.png
"I remember the chill that came over, as everything I loved went falling...
Time shows us that all that ever mattered, all that ever matters, leaves us in the cold..."

Six Flags Great Adventure 2006 RCT2 Re-Creation: 76%
--Dead Man's Party '06 will never be topped...but '09 came damn close!--

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users