293 replies to this topic

#256 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is much more wishful thinking than speculation, but what if the park were to restructure the tower so that the shape becomes a triangular Prism - this way the park could not only have a drop ride on the front face of Ka but on both back faces as well. Again, i'm no structural engineer and have no idea whether or not that would be possible without replacing a significant amount of the support structure, but if that is what the park has planned, than capacity (which some worried about when we first speculated a drop tower on Ka) would not be an issue.

sig_coasttocoaster.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png

Screenshot2012-07-10at61056PM.png

#257 Joseph

Joseph

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Or are these pics from back when KA was being built and you are just messing with us?

#258 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

If this is only going on the front of the tower, I'm scared that the capacity will be terrible. Then again, if everyone's tied up waiting for it, shorter lines all around the park...

tumblr_mlp29qg5C91rkj8fwo1_400.gif

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#259 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Or are these pics from back when KA was being built and you are just messing with us?

965636_10201706771848202_1022056623_o.jp

sig_kaiser.png

#260 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

^ Note the Safari trucks.

Posted Image

#261 Kingda R

Kingda R

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

This is really going to happen isn't it?  lol...Anyone ever ride Lex Luthor Drop Of Doom?  I got to ride it twice when I was in California back in April, at 400ft that was enough it seems like you are falling for a whole 4-5 seconds, with Ka being slightly higher it's an extra two seconds of trying not to crap your pants lol.  You don't get to appreciate the view from the top of Ka for very long, I assure you, being up there for more than 4 seconds will be a completely different experience in those tiny little seats!   I can't wait!

#262 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

"Hopefully they get all their work done in the off season to avoid Ka being down. Opening later in the year is a huge marketing ploy, so I think they will probably still delay other things until a Memorial Day weekend opening."

Yeah that would be nice to get the work done in the offseason, with El Toro possibly closed the rest of the year it's bad enough but to have Kingda Ka and El Toro closed for Fright Fest would probably cause the other major coasters to have 3 hour lines on a Saturday.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#263 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm still worried about the surrounding area. If this tower, which seems ever so likely as we countdown to the announcement, the area around it, or what is left, cannot hold the amount of people that will want to ride the tower and/or Kingda Ka. So at this point, I'm worried about Golden Kingdom, the blocked off path, and, if Rolling Thunder is removed, what can come of that.
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#264 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

^ If the Golden Kingdom was able to hold the crowds of when Kingda Ka opened, then this should be a walk in the park.  Also, I'm sure the park has some sort of plan for the blocked off path. Hopefully such a plan comes to fruition sooner rather than later. 

sig_coasttocoaster.png

#265 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

^ If the Golden Kingdom was able to hold the crowds of when Kingda Ka opened, then this should be a walk in the park.  Also, I'm sure the park has some sort of plan for the blocked off path. Hopefully such a plan comes to fruition sooner rather than later. 

But that was a new Golden Kingdom, with the pathway, the exhibits, Balin's Jungle, etc.  That area, when it opened, was able to hold the crowds because Kingda Ka was isolated from the rest of the area, with two pathways to reach the ride, via Boardwalk and via Plaza Del Carnival.  We are now looking at one pathway, via Boardwalk, and two record breaking rides attached to each. Currently,  Kingda Ka's line can get overwhelming at times and that area can get a bit clustered.  Closing Kingda Ka in the beginning of the season will only cause people to want to ride Kingda Ka more.  Add a record breaking drop tower, people are going to want to ride both.  On a busy day, we could possibly be looking at a full queue of Kingda Ka and, because we have no clue how the queue is going to be fully situated, an expected 2 hour wait for the Drop Tower, that area will be crammed.  I just hope something is done to make sure that area can accommodate the influx of people wanting to ride Kingda Ka and the Drop Tower, which may be why we could see Rolling Thunder be removed in a total facelift of Golden Kingdom.

#266 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

You never know, the pathway is still there and if the park decides it's a necessity, it's always available to open. Not only that, but if they feel as though the path isn't wide enough, they still have a ton of room to expand said path where Balin's used to be.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#267 CHILLERLC1

CHILLERLC1

El Toro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

If they're going to remove Rolling Thunder I'm not going to care if they paint Kingda Ka to match the new pieces because they wouldn't care anyway. The teal was a good color for fading.

I wonder if they'll dig new footers for the freefall next to Kingda Ka. I expect the new pieces to be welded/bolted onto the existing Kingda Ka structure. I looked at Xccelerator at its debut and then later in the following seasons when they added more pieces to it.

Too cool for Kingda Ka train joke names - We grew up.
Candidate for Most Coaster Knowledge 2012 gadv.com
If I had a $1 for every cough and told you so-s here...

#268 CoastToCoaster

CoastToCoaster

Bizarro

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

But that was a new Golden Kingdom, with the pathway, the exhibits, Balin's Jungle, etc.  That area, when it opened, was able to hold the crowds because Kingda Ka was isolated from the rest of the area, with two pathways to reach the ride, via Boardwalk and via Plaza Del Carnival.  We are now looking at one pathway, via Boardwalk, and two record breaking rides attached to each. Currently,  Kingda Ka's line can get overwhelming at times and that area can get a bit clustered.  Closing Kingda Ka in the beginning of the season will only cause people to want to ride Kingda Ka more.  Add a record breaking drop tower, people are going to want to ride both.  On a busy day, we could possibly be looking at a full queue of Kingda Ka and, because we have no clue how the queue is going to be fully situated, an expected 2 hour wait for the Drop Tower, that area will be crammed.  I just hope something is done to make sure that area can accommodate the influx of people wanting to ride Kingda Ka and the Drop Tower, which may be why we could see Rolling Thunder be removed in a total facelift of Golden Kingdom.

For the closing Kingda Ka at the beginning of the season argument - how many people go to Six Flags more than one time a season? I'm probably going to go with about 15-20% of the park's total attendance. Besides us, other enthusiasts and people that live somewhat close by, you won't have to worry about people wanting to ride Kingda Ka "more." It being closed will have virtually no affect on Kingda Ka's ridership later in the season. I'd be an idiot to say that the drop tower wouldn't bring any ridership to Ka (and more foot traffic in the area), but Kingda Ka already has a pretty significant queue and he Drop Tower's queue will be almost double the size. The foot traffic in the area may increase but the ride's queue's will eat most of the crowds up. Also, that side path is extraneous - It's small and narrow and really served no purpose when it was active besides that it provided an entrance to Balin's Jungle and gave a nice view of the Tiger habitats. That path served no purpose anymore when Balin's Jungle closed. That's why the park closed it.. You're under the impression that the "world's tallest drop tower" is going to create the attendance bump that "the world's tallest roller coaster" brought - which will not happen. So the side path would be a nice extra to have, but really isn't necessary without Balin's Jungle, for it serves virtually no purpose to the main strip of the Golden Kingdom which stretches from the Boardwalk to the entrance of Kingda Ka.

sig_coasttocoaster.png

#269 Joseph

Joseph

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe this new attraction in the golden kingdom has something to do with the manor being moved out this year as well?

#270 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

For the closing Kingda Ka at the beginning of the season argument - how many people go to Six Flags more than one time a season? I'm probably going to go with about 15-20% of the park's total attendance. Besides us, other enthusiasts and people that live somewhat close by, you won't have to worry about people wanting to ride Kingda Ka "more." It being closed will have virtually no affect on Kingda Ka's ridership later in the season. I'd be an idiot to say that the drop tower wouldn't bring any ridership to Ka (and more foot traffic in the area), but Kingda Ka already has a pretty significant queue and he Drop Tower's queue will be almost double the size. The foot traffic in the area may increase but the ride's queue's will eat most of the crowds up. Also, that side path is extraneous - It's small and narrow and really served no purpose when it was active besides that it provided an entrance to Balin's Jungle and gave a nice view of the Tiger habitats. That path served no purpose anymore when Balin's Jungle closed. That's why the park closed it.. You're under the impression that the "world's tallest drop tower" is going to create the attendance bump that "the world's tallest roller coaster" brought - which will not happen. So the side path would be a nice extra to have, but really isn't necessary without Balin's Jungle, for it serves virtually no purpose to the main strip of the Golden Kingdom which stretches from the Boardwalk to the entrance of Kingda Ka.

My argument is not which will bring more crowds, obviously the hype of Kingda Ka opening back in 05 will remain the higher up.  I'm looking at the General Public standpoint, which is not the most favorable, but sadly somewhat realistic view.  To this day, Kingda Ka is a draw worldwide.  Closing Kingda Ka will make people think something new will happen to the ride.  GP though Medusa was knocked down and Bizarro was added in its place.  A similar effect (maybe not to that extent but god only knows what people are thinking). It is the first ride of the day for about half of the coaster riders (I might be a bit generous but still, Kingda Ka gets most attention early as opposed to the other side of the park).  And it is obvious that a new ride, the tallest drop tower attached to the tallest coaster nonetheless, will cause a huge pull from people all over to go an ride, especially early to try to avoid the long lines.  I'm not arguing the fact of the path's closure (even though I think its a brutal hassle to walk all the way around and into Boardwalk to get to Kingda Ka.

My point is, there is probably more than just the tower.  I mean adding a new ride in a dead-ish area means there should be total revival of the area to make it more attractive.   I'm stating something needs to be done or else it'll be one big cluster(expletive) in that little area, between the rush of people going for Kingda Ka and the Drop tower, and all of the people leaving the area, which also brings up the question of how the exit, not the queue, for the Drop Tower will be made (I can't picture an easy path right now that will suffice as an exit).  We need that area back to life (not as much as Old Country but that's besides the point).  I cannot see the park opening the Drop Tower without fixing the area, which means hopefully reopening that path to help control the higher flow that will occur with the reopening and opening of Kingda Ka and Drop Tower.  It may not be a huge influx, but that area needs to be able to control the larger crowds.  Plus, Boardwalk will probably get a tad bit crowded near the entrance, if another outlet is created.  

As for the 15-20% attendance, you may be right with your statistics but you helping my point.  That means, we will say 80% one time visitors, at the world's largest theme park, with new visitors coming in constantly.  I would think maybe the park is understanding that the attendance rate may be rising (at least those traveling to the park on vacation) as this possible hotel proposal is still up for discussion on the board.  More people wanting to come to the park will blatantly see Kingda Ka and the drop tower from a good mile radius.  There is a higher draw from out-of-towners and adding a record breaking ride will only make that appeal more visible.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users