El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Six Flags Great Adventure to Become the World’s Largest Theme Park in 2013
Theme, Safari and Water Parks Will Debut New Additions

August 30, 2012
In 2013, New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure entertainment complex will undergo its most dramatic transformation in 13 years as the 160-acre theme park and 350-acre Wild Safari animal park unite as one property to become the world’s largest theme park. The mega-park, featuring 13 roller coasters including three of the world’s top rated, three children’s areas, a wide array of family rides, games, shopping and entertainment, will introduce the new, one-of-a-kind, themed attraction —Safari Off Road Adventure. At Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, water-thrill seekers will challenge a massive, new slide complex —Big Wave Racer.

Boasting 1,200 animals from six continents, Safari Off Road Adventure will take explorers on the most intense, up-close animal experience of their lives. Guests will enter the amazing, fictional world of the Wilds Family, who have traveled the globe to bring the most interesting and exotic creatures to their home in Jackson, New Jersey. Once through the rustic loading station filled with artifacts from the Wilds’ global journeys, guests will load a rugged, open-air, Safari vehicle to begin their unique adventure.

Skilled, informed drivers will drive guests off-road and up close to the animals as they splash through ponds, climb hills, cross bridges and venture over rugged terrain.

“Never before have guests been able to experience a journey so close to that of a true African safari here in the U.S., said John Fitzgerald, park president. “By combining the world’s most exotic animals with Six Flags’ signature entertainment, the Safari Off Road Adventure will be the most incredible animal adventure anywhere. Where else can you ride a wave, go on safari, and soar on world-record breaking coasters?”

When the Wild Safari closes its gates for the 2012 season this fall, it will undergo a massive renovation this winter that includes a redesign of various simulated natural habitats and the creation of Camp Aventura.

Camp Aventura will be the main stop along the off-road excursion. Guests will see up-close some of the Wilds family’s favorite animals, and even hand-feed or pet them. Here, they can choose to fly through the air high above the animals on a new zip line for an additional fee.

Safari Off Road Adventure is included with general theme park admission and season passes in 2013, and will be accessible via the Frontier Adventures section of the theme park. Through September 30, 2012, guests will be able to drive their own vehicles through the Wild Safari for the very last time in the park’s 38-year history.

“This is a monumental change for the Wild Safari and our guests,” said Dr. Bill Rives, safari director and chief veterinarian. “For nearly 40 years, people have dreamed of more up-close animal experiences with fewer boundaries, and now we can truly deliver a VIP experience to each and every one of our guests─and it’s included in their theme park admission.”

Safari Off Road Adventure is slated for a Memorial Day weekend debut in 2013.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Wave Racer Will Hit Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in 2013
On the heels of the new King Cobra water slide addition, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will unveil another massive slide complex in 2013. Big Wave Racer will send riders barreling head-first down multiple lanes on an aero-dynamically-designed water toboggan. After climbing four stories, they will rocket down several steep drops stretching 1,800 feet before crossing the finish line in a splash of glory.

Big Wave Racer is slated for a summer 2013 opening and will be the eighth slide complex at Hurricane Harbor, pushing the number of thrill slides to more than 25. The 45-acre park also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river and a large children’s water playground.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six Flags Great Adventure announced today that 2013 Season Passes are now on sale at the lowest prices of the year and provide unlimited visits for the rest of the 2012 season (including Fright Fest) and all of the 2013 season. For a limited time, with the purchase of a Season Pass four-pack, guests will receive a free upgrade to “premium status” which includes free Season Passes to Hurricane Harbor, free tickets for friends and more! In addition, guests receive one free Season Parking Pass when purchasing four or more. Offer expires October 28, 2012.

About Six Flags Entertainment CorporationSix Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with over $1.0 billion in revenue and 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For more than 50 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®.

Source: Six Flags
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#2 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

Although I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed we aren't getting any new shows, I'm still very excited for this ride! I'm especially excited that they're giving the ride a backstory! Kudos, Six Flags!
Maybe if igNight is a success at Great America, we'll get that next year.
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#3 palmer

palmer

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

The Safari looks great. And after all the BS with King Cobra, the Big Wave Racer seems like a nice addition to actually fix King Cobra's problems. As well, no shows for 2013. Well, unless the park sneaks on behind us during the off-season, but we never know. But hey, I'll gladly take the Safari Off Road Adventure and Big Wave Racer for the benefits of Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor.

EDIT: I read the thing again. Bridges? Collapsing bridge anyone? Something out of the Kilimanjaro playbook?
palmerbanner2_zpsf9fb5348.jpg
I should probably warn you guys that I make long posts... 
2010 & 2014 Coaster Draft Champion

#4 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

This was like Christmas morning! Great work Six Flags! I can't wait for 2013!

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#5 Cory

Cory

Future Industry Engineer

• Retired Admin
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I think the entire jumping factor at me is that it's free and you will be feeding animals and getting off mid ride to go and see other animals. I wonder how they are going to work that out.

If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a add.png
Robert Cory Molloy - Retired Administrator of Great Adventure Online

#6 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Epic Failure - Maybe the worst new addition since TDK..

Essentially the new "attraction" is just the old Safari with a chauffeur. Instead of YOU driving around, somebody else drives you. That's clearly what people have been clamoring for. It shows a lack of insight as to what the parks overall failures are, and the complaints many of the public have. Instead of fixing what's broke, they sink money into the Safari, and remove the only element that made it unique. IE: The ability to drive through it yourself and at your own pace. But hey...

Skilled, informed drivers will drive guests off-road and up close to the animals as they splash through ponds, climb hills, cross bridges and venture over rugged terrain.

OMG - You can be driven over a bridge, and through puddles by a glorified school bus driver. He may even spout out some facts along the way "Hey - That's a Giraffe, they eat leaves!" - Much better then a trip to the Bronx or Philadelphia Zoo...

As for the Water Park addition: Could be good, could be bad. Won't know till it's built. King Cobra also looked promising, but we know how that turned out.
Mangar
Lucid Vision

#7 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

Im not about to go as far as mangar I'm glad we will have something like this but the announcement sounds way over the top. Palmer I wouldn't expect and HOPE we don't see a collapsable bridge!!! Even Disney has had major problems keeping the bridge working and it cost a lot of money to install....I believe Disney's collapsable bridge hasnt worked in 2 years because of expensive parts so that should tell you something right there. I'm seriously wondering if SF knows how much these puddles, bridges and the like are going to cost them! Its just way too over the top this stuff isn't cheap and I have a gut feeling that while I'm sure the plan looks spectacular on paper right now a lot of this is going to get cut when they start realizing the costs. This announcement is just WAY to ambitious when it comes to themeing for six flags! From prior experience the only time SF has ever delivered themeing wise was with the Golden Kingdom and thays what made premier get bought out....all other ambitious themed projects wind up being cheesy and nearly pointless and definitly stripped as costs continued to soar: Skully, TDK, GL tunnels....etc. Im not saying it cant be done but Im definitly saying to SF prove me wrong cause history is on my side....but I hope I am proven wrong!

As for the mid-ride camp aventura Im sure thats just the safari exploration station

As fkr the lack of an entertainment announcement yea thats a bummer but I wouldnt give up the idea that at least one new show will emerge before the start of the season....Im sure its on their mind theyre just waiting to see what kind of money they'll have to be able to do something

And as for the post on GAhistory saying they were going to address more inbetween rides.....I have no idea what they thought they heard unless they were refering to the safari upgrade but I dont think they were
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#8 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Quick question...How come GADV is the only park in the chain without a "Gold Pass" option?

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#9 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

^ok thays definitly random and off-topic....just saying ;). lol
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

^I disagree. The Gold Pass was an "addition" to all the parks except ours. Valid question.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#11 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

^not a "2013 addition" booyah!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'd first like to say that this announcement was extremely ambitious, as JJ said. Adding thematic effects is a great move, and will definitely up the ride. Two me, there are two big questions. How many animals are going to be able to roam freely(I don't expect lions or tigers, but maybe the elephants will get to roam with the other animals in it's area) and will they pull it off as well as the press release says? Call me a fool, but I have faith. I think they can pull it off and think they will. I know the new management likes theming, and I think it's gonna come out with this project. The big thing for me with this is whether or not they give the ride a back-story about why you are going on a safari in the middle of the Old West. If they don't do that, then any hope of a well-themed park in the future probably goes out the window.

The addition of Big Wave Racer puts a lot of pressure off of the KC flop. BUT, even though they are trying to focus on the addition of BWR, KC still has to have a spot on things that need fixing this off-season. The apparently boring ride and weight limit are going to hurt the park more and more down the road, as they keep advertising it(and they will because of the uniqueness) and more and more people get turned down, the complaints will pile up.

No announcement of a show-package is disappointing, but hopefully that will come late as they see what kind of budget they can work with, like JJ said. Overall, I think it's going to be a great year, and with how much the new management fixes things during the off-season, I think this may be one of the park's best years ever.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#13 Sfguy

Sfguy

GADV Elite

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm hoping that the park can pull this off well. Even if there aren't many effects/theming/etc along the way, I still think this will be a solid addition. It'll definitely help for the slower days where you've ridden everything and you want something else to do.

Also, the quality of the Safari can only go up. Let's face it. Over the past few years (possibly decades?), the Safari has just sat there while Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor have gotten new additions and rennovations and lots of TLC. Of the three parks, the Safari was the least profitable and the most upkeep from taking care of 1500 animals. I'm sure the trainers are letting out a sigh of relief that they don't need to worry about people feeding the animals cheeseburgers and french fries.
Even if the puddles and the bridges and whatever other effects they put in are a bit of a let down, aside from the new slides at HH (which I'm happy about), nearly all of the park's attention is focused on the Safari. Hopefully the park will take care of the areas that are beginning to look run down, put a few coats of paint up, and give it some TLC.

imo, the only con of this transformation is that you won't be able to drive through, so you won't be able to stop when you want to. Instead (and this is a pro), you'll drive closer to the animals and, if the promo video holds true, the animals will walk up to the truck and you'll be able to feed them.

As far as no shows being announced, it's a bit of a bummer, but it doesn't really come as a surprise. Our shows have been lacking for years. Let's hope that we're all surprised by seeing one or two new shows when we walk in on Opening Day :D

Posted Image

#14 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Information from GAHistory:

Some additional information on the Safari Off Road Adventure...

- The ride will depart from inside the theme park's Frontier Adventures section and proceed to the Safari via the area behind the Northern Star Arena (pictured below in its unaltered state). Bizarro is not being removed.

- The entrance has been described as quite dramatic similar to Jurassic Park gates.

- It will proceed through what are today backstage areas of the theme park and enter the Safari into what is now the Tiger's Lair section.

- The experience will make use of the majority of the existing Safari footprint less a piece of the North American section.

Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#15 CH101

CH101

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Am I missing something here? I thought there were supposed to be three "big" announcements? :confused0024: Or is the sale of season passes considered part of the announcements? (By the way I am annoyed that you still need a group of 4 to get free parking and extra discount. The past few years I have purchased for a group of three including myself, just 1 shy of the offer! :tonofbricks:)

Anyway, the Safari Off Road sounds like it will be a lot of fun! It is just a shame they are going to wait for Memorial Day for opening, considering they are closing the wild safari early this year.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users