178 replies to this topic

#16 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

So now that this was officially released, my very reliable source tells me that there will be 3 chances to get off during this tour, one of them being a place to experience animals, a bar and grille restaurant with an amazing view of some animals (that can come as close as 15 feet to you), and third place will be the ziplines (probably not in that exact order). This project is an estimated 20 million dollar revamp. The entrance will be to the right of the Northern Star Arena (and slightly behind it).

I really hope this restaurant doesn't fall between the cracks. This is what a BUNCH of people, including me, have been waiting for. A nice sit down restaurant. The only downside is having to get in a line and ride through the safari just to get there.

EDIT: Also, they are taking out all of the pavement and making it a dirt path. And like I previously said, the fences are coming down.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#17 Christian

Christian

I'm kind of a big deal

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Will they have self driving Ford Explorers with an interactive CD-ROM?

Seriously though, it may not be some huge new thrill ride but it is a move in the right direction. How? Let's break it down:

1.) The Safari is getting the first major overhaul/improvements since 1994 and will now be part of the whole experience (no more separate gate/2nd park stuff).
2.) This opens up that entire area behind the Arena for a future expansion
3.) No more idiots feeding animals stuff that will kill them
4.) HARBOR IS GETTING A RACING TOWER FINALLY, HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT HAPPY? That's now 3 new additions in the span of 4 seasons.
5.) It opens the door up for the hotel to finally happen. Hopefully

Plus we're not losing any rides this year. There is still the chance that we can get more flats around the park in the offseason.

There was a dream that was GADV Online...

#18 Mangar

Mangar

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

I still maintain that this is an epic fail. I'll elaborate further as to why. First

This project is an estimated 20 million dollar revamp.

For the sake of argument, we'll assume that this figure is correct.

So Six Flags is spending roughly 20 million dollars on a new attraction. Usually when a park adds a new attraction the main idea behind it is to draw attention, but primarily - Convince people to come and see it. IE: Get people who weren't planning to visit the park, to do so in order to visit/ride the shiny new thing, and spend money. The secondary idea behind a new attraction, is to shore up the parks shortcomings. IE: Improve upon area's which the park needs improvement on. In Great Adventures case, this would be "Things to do" - The primary problems with Great Adventure, aside from how expensive it is, is that once you ride the marquee coasters, there is very little to do. Which in turn creates some of the longest lines for the major rides that I have EVER seen in any Theme Park. Little to no flat rides, no arcades, no real shows, no real food/drink that you actually look forward to eating. (As opposed to just something to provide sustenance) You can compare and contrast this to various parks - Hershey Parks shows and AMAZING arcade, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the Universal Parks excellent food and Irish Pubs. (As an adult, nothing is more relaxing after riding a bunch of rides and walking a ton, then simply relaxing in a good setting with some decent food and a nice beer) Flat rides we are all familiar with. So lets see how this new attraction stacks up.

Primary Reason: Will it convince people who wouldn't otherwise come to the park, to go there to see it?

No. Adding some puddles and perhaps a "bridge" to the same exact Safari that has been in place for 30+ years, isn't bringing in anybody. People who are going to visit a location to look at animals simply have much better options. The Bronx Zoo, the Philadelphia Zoo, and various aquariums. The ONLY thing that made the Safari unique, and a place that people would visit on it's own merits - Is that it's the only location in the United States that I know of, which allowed you to drive your car inside, and literally get up close to some of the animals. They would walk around, react to you, block your cars path, and you got closer then you could anywhere else. In earlier years the rules were much lessened on "interaction" and even now - You could see people 'touching' some of the more docile animals. Not to mention that you were able to drive around at your own pace. It was a legitimately unique experience, and it was local. I'd even argue that the new changes, could result in less people visiting overall. With the attraction being ridden as a sort of "Well.. I'm in the park already, rode El Toro and all the coasters. May as well go on that Safari thing if the line isn't too long." As opposed to people actually going to the Safari FOR the actual Safari.

Secondary Reasons: Does this improve the overall Great Adventure experience? Lessen lines, give people already IN the park more to do?

Maybe. Basic logic: If you add ANYTHING to the park, and remove nothing - It will obviously absorb some people. Will it absorb a significant amount, enough to justify 20 million spent? Doubtful, but in fairness we won't know 100% till it's operational. I think we can safely say however, that the "ride" is going to be little more then something extra to do for people, once they have done everything else. You could have added a Tilt a Whirl and gotten the same effect. For 20 million, you could have added a bunch of em. The "sit down restaurant" has promise, ASSUMING you can easily walk to it from the park. For the price tag, they could have easily added more flat rides, a pub, an arcade, and maybe a show - Which would have improved the park tremendously.

Summation: Epic Fail. It's a "new" attraction that nobody cares about, and that will draw nobody to the park that wasn't already planning to go there to ride Kingda Ka or El Toro. It's a ride that people from these forums will go on because it's new, but the general public will only go on because they "Happen to already be in the park." Which if it were a Tilt-A-Whirl, would be fine. Instead, it's costing a boat load of money, and also removes the only unique aspect of the Safari. An aspect which by itself, did manage to draw people in. It's the reason why the park went bankrupt and goes through a different management team every couple of years. The attraction shows a lack of insight from the people running it, into what people who visit the park want, what the parks actual shortcomings are, and what needs to be added for it to improve. It's Wiggles World and TDK 2.0
Mangar
Lucid Vision

#19 SFNEKid13

SFNEKid13

Koaster Dan

• Site Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

In order for this rumored restaraunt to work, they have to advertise it, and make it a thing that people can walk too from the park, without going on the ride. They also have to allow guests to carry their bags onto the Safari ride, otherwise some people won't have their money with them. I'm going to use JB's Smokehouse BBQ for example on this one. It came to SFNE for 2012, with the addition of Goliath. They located it right across from Goliath, and it is the emptiest eatery in the park. People don't know about it, so they go to a place that is easily visable. PLEASE GREAT ADVENTURE, if you do add a eatery on the safari tour, advertise it, have your employees recommend it to guests who ask where to eat. These kinds of places are great, if you run them properly.

#1 Wooden- El Toro
#1 Steel- Bizarro

Dan_Nixon_Sig_Photo_zps7ea4d821.jpg

#20 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Little to no flat rides, no arcades, no real shows, no real food/drink that you actually look forward to eating. (

The park does have 2 arcades, the one in Movie Town that is almost all ticket/redemption games and the Boardwalk Arcade that is all video games and prize games. They did get some new games in both arcades this year too.

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#21 Airkilla09

Airkilla09

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

I like this addition but I also agree with other in that other issues should have been address first if the park wanted to expand. Once the park grows ever more, fixing micro issues will be nearly impossible. The GP will attend the park thanks to media.

Great adventure now holds the title as Biggest Theme Park in the WORLD!!! All it took was adding 350 acres of its own land officially under one park name. This is deceptive!

I like the location of the entrance as that section needs more traffic.

This move can prove to be either a threat or a savior to bizarro. I have strong feelings that in 2014 Great adventure will build a new fad rollercoaster either in place of Bizarro or on the right of it, and left of the Safari entrance. (You guys know)

#22 flyingcrayons

flyingcrayons

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Epic Failure - Maybe the worst new addition since TDK..

Essentially the new "attraction" is just the old Safari with a chauffeur. Instead of YOU driving around, somebody else drives you. That's clearly what people have been clamoring for. It shows a lack of insight as to what the parks overall failures are, and the complaints many of the public have. Instead of fixing what's broke, they sink money into the Safari, and remove the only element that made it unique. IE: The ability to drive through it yourself and at your own pace. But hey...

That unique element was also causing a lot of problems for the safari. The amount of people who drive through the safari trying to feed the animals human food, open their windows trying to pet the animals, or even litter in the safari is ridiculous. I think this decision is more for the safety of the animals over anything else. I don't think the safari was really making the park much money anyway.

I think this is a great decision personally. Whenever I'm working at the safari, people are always asking me if there is anywhere in the safari where they can get out and pet/feed the animals. currently the answer is a very strict no. Of course, people do these things anyways. By adding a specific spot where people can get out and interact with the animals under supervision by the trainers, the park is addressing a major concern of most of the visitors to the safari while at the same time addressing a major safety issue.

#23 natfrolic

natfrolic

Skull Mountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I think this is a good addition for the families. BUT- I do love the historic drive-it-yourself experience. There is nothing like having to inch your way around a giraffe in the middle of the road when you are the driver.

Here's my issue with the safari change- I love the 9:00 AM opening. We are early risers who want to beat the traffic out of NYC. Having the Safari to do before gates opened was lovely. And the animals are most active early in the day.

And I just want to agree with CH101- I too buy season passes for three and not getting the parking kills me. Maybe they could do a graduated discount- buy two passes parking = $40, buy three passes parking = $20, four passes parking = free.
Learned to love coasters on Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze in Rochester, NY

#24 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

^Jason assuming your 20 million dollar figure is accurate this worries me more! Jim Reid -Anderson has said the maximum investment that would be made in one park in a year is 20 million! So on paper this investment is already costi g them 20 million....thats really bad because this is the type ifninvestment that the mire they start to build the more and more money they are going to realize they need beyond the 20 million and because they are already at the budget ceiling corporate is not going to give them more money so instead things are going to get cut....if your restaurant is true that'll be the first thibg cut! Ask yourself this why wouldnt they have included that with the announcement?....Because they know theres a high likelihood it will get cut
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#25 Raptor

Raptor

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I like the idea of the Off Road Safari Adventure. It seems fun. I also like the New waterslide! It's a kind of waterslide that I've been wanting for awhile now :D

#26 coasterfreak96

coasterfreak96

Superman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I personally think that these two attractions are great additions. Why? Because they are what the park needs. Think about it: We've been hoping for a nice attraction where you can sit down and relax (ie Train, SORA), plus it is a family attraction. Most of the requests by the general public (aside from roller coasters and bringing back defunct rides) are for family rides. SORA will deliever a one-two punch in 2013, not to mention making us the World's Largest Theme Park. Plus, I would only go through the Safari once or twice a year, but now with SORA, I'll probably visit our most unique aspect of the property multiple times a season! I also can't wait to see their attempt at theming! Whether it fails or prevails, I'll still think it is awesome that they tried, and I respect that a lot. But who knows? They could have some AWESOME ideas up their sleeve as to theming. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

As for Big Wave Racer, THANK GOD. Mat racers are one of my all-time favorite waterslides. You can ride them again and again without it getting boring! That's because YOU CONTROL YOUR RIDE. There are so many ways to give yourself so much airtime on those things, it's insane. And after riding Quadzilla at Noah's Ark (ProSlide 4 Lane Kraken Racer), Kraken Racers are one of if not the best mat racing slides out there! (Trust me, I've been on MANY). I've never bought the combo season pass option that includes HH in my entire 8 years as a season pass holder, however, for 2013, I think I might! I'm really glad that some attention is being given to HH, for just a few years ago, that park was nothing compared to how it will be in 2013.

Overall, I am so excited for 2013. I, personally, would like to thank Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags, Inc. for adding more fun and exhilarating attractions to the park every year. We're very lucky and proud that the world's largest and greatest theme park is our home park :)

Jambo!

sig_coasterfreak96.png
If you see a well thought out and well written post, give it a Plus.png
My Coaster Count - 249

2013 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO - #GetTwisted

2014 Rides Team Member - BIZARRO, KINGDA KA, & ZUMANJARO

#27 RollingToro95

RollingToro95

Batman

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I still maintain that this is an epic fail. I'll elaborate further as to why. First

This project is an estimated 20 million dollar revamp.

Primary Reason: Will it convince people who wouldn't otherwise come to the park, to go there to see it?

No. Adding some puddles and perhaps a "bridge" to the same exact Safari that has been in place for 30+ years, isn't bringing in anybody. People who are going to visit a location to look at animals simply have much better options. The Bronx Zoo, the Philadelphia Zoo, and various aquariums. The ONLY thing that made the Safari unique, and a place that people would visit on it's own merits - Is that it's the only location in the United States that I know of, which allowed you to drive your car inside, and literally get up close to some of the animals. They would walk around, react to you, block your cars path, and you got closer then you could anywhere else. In earlier years the rules were much lessened on "interaction" and even now - You could see people 'touching' some of the more docile animals. Not to mention that you were able to drive around at your own pace. It was a legitimately unique experience, and it was local. I'd even argue that the new changes, could result in less people visiting overall. With the attraction being ridden as a sort of "Well.. I'm in the park already, rode El Toro and all the coasters. May as well go on that Safari thing if the line isn't too long." As opposed to people actually going to the Safari FOR the actual Safari.

I disagree. If you read TPR or listen around the area, a lot of people DON'T go to the safari. Why? Because it costs extra and takes more time. Many people don't have lots of opportunities to come to the complex, so when they do, they either go to the water park, or the theme park, or both. The Safari often gets left behind. Many people complained about the price, and many people didn't think it justified an hour that could be spent in the theme park. Now, theme park enthusiasts who didn't want to waste their time out of theme park can enjoy the safari, and now people with less money to spend can get excited when the ads for the park say "Safari now included with theme park admission!".
Posted Image
*co-winner of Best Avatar, 2011

http://www.5dexterfilms.webs.com

http://www.youtube.com/scipiomask

#28 Jason

Jason

Nitro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Now that 20 million may be way over exaggerated, I don't know. But it's an investment that was needed for many many years. I'm certainly excited for the safari. I don't usually go through the safari. Maybe once, tops twice a year. I actually won't mind taking a break from the coasters, spending some money to the ziplines a couple times a year (depending on the price). And now with the 2 properties merging, they now have the world's largest theme park. That right there is something they should have done a long time ago.

30k3uyq.jpg

@spikedudej    #TeamMissPanda

#29 Philthy

Philthy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

This sounds like a huge undertaking. Think about the number of safari trucks needed, fuel, maintenance and drivers. I wonder how this will affect staff size. I don't think they will let just anyone drive a safari truck and what about the additional insurance.
I really hope it works out and believe me I am really gonna miss driving through.

#30 Joseph

Joseph

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

Anyone heard more about this new safari thing? I heard that the station for the new safari tours will be the current constega wagon food stand.
A bit odd in my opinion because this will leave only best of the west as the only major restaurant in frontier adventures.

I also heard the tour will not be including the north or south american animals. So where will these guys be going?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users