Photo

More Updates And Rolling Thunder Closed?!

14 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Lets first start with some very real news coming in that currently Rolling Thunder is listed as closed on the Six Flags site. Can anyone confirm it actually is?

Now onto site news. As has been obvious this whole year we have been facing issues with the site all culminating in the driver error that saw the forums down for an entire week a few weeks ago. We have really begun hitting this hard since June and first off I want to thank Matt Kaiser for his work on the issues. Kaiser has spent numerous hours sometimes full days delving into our ftp to find the issues going on and I am happy to say the issue has been found. The problem is that its going to take some time to fix. I have always been very transparent when it comes to our issues and what was happening and is happening that is causing our malware warnings is that some code has been added to our site that saves everyones IP address into a folder on the site's CP. We have no idea how this happened or why it is happening. Please note your IP address is something we have always had access to anyway from the forums since this is how we go about banning members if need be and that your IP address information was not used in any adverse way or given to any 3rd parties. Its not the fact that we have your IP address information that was causing the malware it was the way in which the code was taking it that made google feel it was suspicious but ultimately its harmless information. The issue that is taking awhile for us to fix it is that it has somehow found a way to post itself to EVERY page of the website! We pretty much have the choice of two things: 1. going to each individual page and deleting the code (could literally take all year). 2. backing up all of our files deleting the code from what appears important making a new file with just the important stuff and deleting everything else. We are or I should say Kaiser is in the middle of doing #2 but this will take some time as well so we appreciate your patience.

Furthermore I was very upfront with our clerical issues of almost everything still being in Peyton's name from the old Great Adventure Source site, we are making progress in this field as well. The first thing was the Invision license for the board I have purchased a new license and spoke to inivision to have the forums put under my license so the boards are no longer licensed to Peyton. We are also reaching out to the host of our website to hopefully work out the clerical problems with the website side of the boards. Our issues here have never been members or even staff you guys are awesome and we are doing all of this to ensure the continued success and future integrity of the community. Once again a big thanks to Matt Kaiser for all of his work without him its very likely the forums would still not be up. If anyone has any questions or concerns please let us know we thank you for continuing to be apart of our community you are what makes us great!

- Great Adventure Online Team
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 Joseph

Joseph

The Dark Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I was wondering the same thing about rolling thunder because it was down on Saturday when I went.

#3 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Here's a link to Rolling Thunder's page where it says "Rolling Thunder is temporarily closed."
http://www.sixflags....ng_Thunder.aspx

Six Flags obviously doesn't update their website for every time a coaster is down, only extended periods of time. It could just be some maintenance, scheduled or not. It could be a day or two or a week or so. After all, it does say "temporarily."

Anyone know if both sides are closed, or just one?

And thanks, Jim! I'm heading back into working on the issue right now!

sig_kaiser.png

#4 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

^Last time I was at the park (last friday to be exact), both sides were closed.
I've ridden 37 coasters. I really want more.

#5 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

I honestly don't remember Rolling Thunder open at all this year. It definitly wasn't open during my most recent trip to the park but I'm not sure about the trip before that.

#6 Cygnus12

Cygnus12

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

The virus probably got there via an SQL injection attack. Basically, a hacker inputs a code string into an entry box (search box, comment box, etc) and MySQL, the database that runs the site, executes it.

Thing is, if you don't fix the weak point, then it could happen again. Looking below, I noticed that the version number of the IP Board forum software is 3.0.4. It's up to version 3.4.5 now, so maybe updating will fix the weak point.

TheDoD3.com - 3x more thrilling than your favorite ride!

#7 nitro4ever

nitro4ever

Runaway Train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

The virus probably got there via an SQL injection attack. Basically, a hacker inputs a code string into an entry box (search box, comment box, etc) and MySQL, the database that runs the site, executes it.

Thing is, if you don't fix the weak point, then it could happen again. Looking below, I noticed that the version number of the IP Board forum software is 3.0.4. It's up to version 3.4.5 now, so maybe updating will fix the weak point.

Why do I get the impression that updating IP Board will involve the forums being shut down for a long time... :confused0006:/>

#8 Kaiser

Kaiser

Batman

• Admin
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Why do I get the impression that updating IP Board will involve the forums being shut down for a long time... :confused0006:/>/>

I'm trying a couple variations of upgrading, but on a copy of the forums. Once I figure out which way works then I'll use the same method on the real forums. It will probably be at least an hour of downtime, whenever it happens.

sig_kaiser.png

#9 SupermanXD

SupermanXD

Rolling Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

There is track work going on in rolling thunder.

#10 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

You gotta wonder though if the track is bad enough to have to retrack why waste the time when you could give rocky mountain a call? That would definitly be a great 40th anniversary gift and imagine if they keep it duelling! The first ever rocky mountain racer....yes please!!! But if its true track work is happening it doesnt seem thats the route theyre taking

Albeit imagine if they do.....our 5th 13th coaster lolol
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 DiveMachine

DiveMachine

El Diablo Loco

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

I don't know, I feel like a Rocky Mountain coaster would be great for a different project. Maybe a big RMC to anchor an Old Country Revamp. I'd like to see RT remain a family racer and I think a rehab project has a ton of potential. I don't think RT needs a full-blown revamp, just a big rehab. Here's what I'd like to see:

-Retracking by Gravity Group
-Timberliners
-Repainting(white with red handrails)
-Lights on the ground pointing up and string lights in the handrails
-Thematic additions, even something as simple as barrels in the station or tropical plants in the queue
-Racing additions, similar to Lightning Racer where a lighting shines to show who won

This is MUCH cheaper than the full-scale RMC and it probably leaves a sizable budget left for an addition somewhere else in the park. If the park then wants to go RMC later, they have HUGE areas on the other side of the park for an expansive one.
DiveMachine- Moderator/G.O.A.T. at Gadv.com

#12 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

After experiencing GCI's improvements on the Cyclone, I can only hope that GADV will hire them to do a refurb of Rolling Thunder.

#13 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

^if the track work being done is true it sounds like its being done in-house by SF maintenance
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

*NOTE*

My post from 6:24p yesterday above has been edited since the other forum that had the info posted deleted the posting. If you happened to read my post before 8am this morning please no further mention of the direct specifics. Thank you :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Green Lantern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

The left side of RT was opened when I went on the 18th.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users