Tv Streaming Devices...what To Go With?

4 replies to this topic

#1 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,133 posts
  • Location:Manalapan, NJ Currently residing in Oxford, MS @ Ole Miss!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

So heres the deal! Im tired of not being able to watch my sports teams in mississippi. On top of this my mom still has setup my cablebox and pays for it here at home in Jersey where it only gets usage the few short months im home every year. So I figure a great solution would be to hook up a streaming device so i can watch my games in mississippi. My issue is I cant for the life of me figure out what device to go with!

I started out looking at slingbox but after reading a bunch of reviews I really dont like what I hear with many saying the device simply stips working or has other issues that render it useless after a short while...and on top of that slingbox wants $30 from you every issue just to talk to you!

So then i looked at hava and im iffy on them idk.

Then theres locationfree by sony. If i could this is probably the one Id be most interested in going with but i have some questions I cant find a strait forward answer to online. I dont own a PSP which many have confirmed the Sony locationfree works well with...but no one has given a straightforward answer as to whether or not the locationfree works with the PS3. People have asked and they are usually answered sarcastically by someone telling them to just get up off their butt and change the channel on the tv....these people fail to see people in my situation where I wish to use my PS3 as the streamed to device hundreds of miles away. My question is does anyone know if the Ps3 can be that device? More over the only other device i have is my iphone which ive read the locationfree does not do well with apple products...so if the ps3 doesnt work im kinda screwed.

Anybody know any answer to this or know a different product that may work well. I know theres roku...but i couldnt seem to even figure out if roku streams tv to your device or if its simply a device that streams internet to your tv...
Posted Image
Longest active member over 11 great years with gadv.com and counting

2011 gadv.com award titles:
Posted Image

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

GADV Legend

• Admin
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have a Sony device that works like a Roku (not the Sony model you mentioned). It came pre loaded with a bunch of channels, YouTube, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix etc. so it and the Roku basically stream through those channels and not a regular tv channel to the TV. Roku is even more limited and I think (unless it changed) doesn't even have YouTube.

This is the Sony device I have http://store.sony.co...nt/en/p/SMPN100

It doesn't look like it has the features you would want though

admin.jpg

sig_yoshi.png

#3 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

The only feature im looking for is the main feature the slingbox advertises. It takes ur regular tv and makes it able to be viewed on your mobile device as long as u have wifi or 3g/4g. The thing is ive heard terrible things about slingbox so im looking for an alternative. The sony one sounds good and its a company i dont think id have much trouble with if i needed support. Im just not certain it will work with the devices i wanted it to....i guess i could call sony directly and ask...i was just wondering if anyone here had experience with these devices and if they had any recommendations
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 acq10uaz

acq10uaz

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't know if the main feature your looking for would even work that far. 

You could try an Apple TV. You get access to Hulu Plus, Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube, the whole iTunes catalog/library (including things on your computer) and much more. It also comes preloaded with Watch ESPN (you can watch certain things live depending on an existing cable account, same goes for HBO Go) and the it comes with apps for MLB.tv, NBA.com, and NHL GameCenter. Those require subscriptions or I think you can preorder a game you know you want to watch live and do that it that way. The coolest thing (and since you have an iPhone it will work perfectly) is AirPlay. You can beam anything from your iPhone directly to your Apple TV, even games if you want. 

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

If you're already integrated into Apple's ecosystem then getting an Apple TV is probably your best decision. 

#5 1JJ

1JJ

GADV Legend

• Retired Admin
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Really the only feature im looking for is the streaming my tv to my device all that other stuff i can get on my PS3 already...yea I cant stream my phone to my tv but quite frankly i dont see the necessity for that. The feature does work that far slingbox advetises being able to view your home tv from anywhere in the globe on your mobile device as long as you have a wifi or 3g/4g connection...but again their reviews make me not so interested in them... Thank yu for the insight though
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users